iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flat Saw or QS Soft Maple?

Started by Ga_Boy, October 26, 2005, 06:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

I'm lining up a contract milling job for this weekend.

Customer is asking for QS Maple.

I've searched the archive for QS Maple but no luck.

Is flat sawn maple a more desirable grain pattern than QS maple.

In the end I'll saw what ever the customer wants, but I also want to educate him as well, I do not want to leave him with 4mbf of a product he does not like.

Thanks for any guidance.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Captain

Dan_Shade

what's he doing with it, Mark?

instrument builders like 1/4 sawn everything.  he might be using it for flooring too.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

dutchman

I've not seen Qsawn maple,Flat sawn is the only maple, hard or soft
I've been asked to saw.Can't imagine much ray in Qsawn.

Dutchman

Part_Timer

I'm a fan of qsawn everything even cherry and walnut.  I like straight grained wood alot.  that being said I qsawed some soft maple and didn't like it much at all.  My.02 if for flat.

Since you have that swinger cut him a few q's and see if he likes it. 
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Mike_Barcaskey

another vote for flat on the soft maple
never seen much market around here for soft maple other than rough building
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Brad_S.

I have a customer who likes his maple QS as well. Closest thing I can relate it to is that it's like sycamore in two respects. 1: It does have a fleck pattern that resembles the pattern of QS sycamore but it is much smaller in scale. You have to look close to see it, but it's there. 2: It has to be truly QS to achieve that result, as does sycamore. Not as forgiving as oak in producing the pattern.

I would talk to the customer, though. As I mentioned, my customer likes QS because of the look. I've also dealt with many begining woodworkers who read in a book that QS is more stable and figure that's what they want without understanding how bland it can look. They also don't understand that it takes a large diameter log to be able to effectively QS.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

inspectorwoody

All we have ever cut is flat.

Sawing hard maple right now and have cut a few qs boards due to how the cant is worked down and there isn't anything special to it at all.

Thank You Sponsors!