iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porch beams

Started by Bothy_Loon, October 26, 2005, 03:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bothy_Loon

Tom has been giving me some advice on putting pics on the forum. Hope this works!
The pic is of porch beams I cut a while back from Larch. sawn on a Lumbermate mk4 to 12ft x 8x 8 inches with a 2 inch champher on each corner.
Never did get paid for my efforts
Bothy Loon

Tom

Excellant!

The only think that could be done better is have the url be left justified on its own line.   It makes the post easier to read. :)

Chamfering the corners of the posts can be a real job.  Did you have much problem finding how to make them all the same width?

iain

Nice efforts   loon

iain

CHARLIE

Way to go Tom!  There you go with your computereze........not everyone knows what a URL is.   ;D    Programmers used to do that stuff to me all the time.  :)  Oh.....before I forget Big Brother, thanks for helping Bothy_Loon out with the pictures. :)

Bothy_Loon, you told me about those porch beams before but I had never seen them. That's a fine piece of sawing! Now, I'm looking at the bearutiful grain and color in that Larch wood and thinking what some bowls would look like.  ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Didn't have to do much, Charlie.   I just pointed him to "Behind the Forum" and he took it from there.   Pretty smart lad, eh?

Url is the fellow that off-loaded the sawmill after you left.  He liked peas. ;D

Bothy_Loon

Charlie
Me thinks Tom is too modest! It took me a wee while to get there but he was a great help.
The champhering was easy.
I made a V block in two pieces of 5x5 set them on the bolsters & the set the saw height. Keep the saw at the same height & turn the block after each cut & it works fine.
Over the years ( 40 next year in sawing) I have been fortunate in learning a lot of tricks from the old timers. For which I am very grateful.
Had a couple of 40foot Douglas dropped off at work the other day. This is for more work for the Reaper. Now that Tom has got it into my wooden head I will post some pics when I get the sawing done. Cannot do it just now as power to the Forestor is disconnected due to us having a new transformer fitted to give more power to our two new bandmills.
Bothy 

twoodward15

hey, if you've been in it for 40 years you ARE one of the old timers!!  Pretty soon you'll be teaching everything you know to one of the youngsters and they can start that cycle again.  Nice posts by the way. ;)
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Bothy_Loon

Wish I could find the right kind of person to pass it on to!

SwampDonkey

I to, have to add that you did a good job on the posts. I also like the look of the European Larch grain. I bet there are some wide growth rings. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

iain

The grain is wide, with lots of reds and greens, good swirly grain at the top of the tree

iain

iain

Heres some fast grown euro larch

iain

redpowerd

iain, do you have any more pics of how that banister is assembled? ive been collecting some bent limbs for mine, but yours looks easier to assemble and much less time consuming. i have about 100 feet of bannister to build, and have been wracking the brain trying to figger out how to make it all match easily. i really like the looks of yours and it just took a load off my mind.
thanks
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pappy

I just found what I'm gonna use for my back deck rail  8)

like redpowerd said " do you have any more pics of how that banister is assembled?" or maybe different angles

Thanks iain

as Kate says OK pap  ;)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

iain

Thank you

i'll load some more pics its real quick (for me )
to do

iain

iain

Er yah goclick on my gallery down on the lower left for the pics
i'll have a look through in a bit
and do the writing fir ya

Roxie i got to go and hang the laundry out (THANKS A BUNCH)

IAIN >:( :(

Bothy_Loon

Wish I had a stair in my house. I would love to copy your bannister.
Bothy

Bothy_Loon

This is one of the original Atholl Larch
Bet you could get lots of bannisters from this one Iain.
I milled it a few years back & have kept some to make a seat for outside the office of the mill at Lockerbie.
I will dig the planks out soon & you will be surprised at the colour. I counted the rings & gave up around 270 as they were so close together. The tin of marker paint is about 8inches high.
Bothy

iain

I've seen some of them larch's
they is big boys
i've seen the big ones on Isla road (A93) on the way out of Perth biggest i ever seen

iain

SwampDonkey

Our tamarack (eastern larch) will grow limbs almost as long as the tree height and for some reason if they grow up in fields they can be the most crooked tree you ever laid eyes on. I planted about 3500 (I think) on some of my wetter ground (they'll grow on top of water I think) and in 5 years they are as tall as 10 year old spruce. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

iain

If the larch has had access to side light i can make a fantastic looking and awsome sounding digi

iain

pappy

iain,

thank you.. the pics give me a better insight ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

redpowerd

yes, thanks iain. what did you use to cut the joinery?
thanks again!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

iain

Sand the saw marks off

lay them out as you want them,
shape the upright tops first (taking into account any interesting grain knots etc in the top rail)
lay them out again and trim the sides if you want
mark the top rail with a fat felt pen,
them rout them out free hand with a VERY sharp cutter and take the felt line off
check the fit, then do the some with the bottom rail thingy (a bit of pro speak there for you)

i then carve and sand with an arbotech cutter and sand 80g/180g/240g in that order then random orbit with 180g round over the edges as you go with the sanding not a round over bit (its to even)

i assemble on site and mix up either West system  or SP system epoxy with plain flour to the consistancy of tooth paste
apply very carefully to the back of an upright and either spring or speed clamp till quite firm and you can carve the epoxy to suite your shaping (dont wait till it goes hard)

if you cant work messy on site make an exact mock up off the the walls in your work shop to get the angles and the LOOK right

most important is to take your time in wood shape selection

i'll look for the tools i use here in America and post a link or two

iain

iain

http://www.arbortech.com.au/productinfo/indkit.html

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/handtool/product/B%2fDX32365

these are the carving and sanding tools i use

i have found that the b&d drum is the best and longest lasting
but shop for your belts
Klingspur are good on low grits and Hermes on the higher grades
a latex cleaning stick will make them last a long time
and to spin them i use a Bosch 850 2 ret drill with the side handle on