iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Farm Show - Columbia, MO. Nov 3-5, 2005 - Sawmill demos and more

Started by Bibbyman, October 26, 2005, 02:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

It's almost time again for this year's Small Farm Show in Columbia, MO.

There will be acres of stuff of interest to small farmers.  (No, not just little people - people with small farms.)

Mary and I will be there helping Wood-Mizer demo mills. 

Baker, Keener Built, Mill Masters, and Ez Boardwalk have had mills there in past shows.

Come on down and say Hi.  It's at the Boone County Fair Grounds on HY 63 north of Columbia.

link to - Small Farm Today show info in Columbia, MO. Nov, 3-5, 2005

Link to post on last year's show
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Mary and I went over to the Boone County Fair Grounds yesterday to meet up with Will and Chad of Wood-Mizer.  We took them some logs to saw in their demo and gave them a hand setting up their tent.

Got to say... The weather should be the best it's ever been for the show - sunshine and highs in the 70s. 

The trees are in their peek of color.  So if you're looking for an excuse to get out and take a drive,  here it is.  Come on down and say Hi. 

There will be a lot of other interesting things to see and do at the Small Farm Show with a couple hundered vendors set up.

FYI,  Wood-Mizer brought in an LT40HDG25 with debarker and the new LT10.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

First day of the show was kind of slow.  It was Thursday so that accounted for some of the light turnout.  The weather was nice but a little windy with gusts to 40mph.

But!  I had a chance to visit with a lot of old friends and some new ones.

Mary started to speak to a couple of guys there looking at a Wood-Mizer mill.  They turned and one said, "You're Mary!  Where is Bibbyman!".  Well it turned out the guy – Gary Bonnot – is a long-time "guest" reader of the Forum.  We later visited and I found out some more about him.  He has a Baker 18 mill that he uses to provide his own woodworking lumber. 

Gary also makes coon traps.  Not just any coon trap but a dowg proof coon trap.  He as a patent on a design where the coon sticks it's paw down a tube and only by gripping the bait does it trigger the trap to capture the coon's paw against the side of the tube.

I welcomed Gary to register and jump right in.
Sawing since '94

bottlefed89

Anyone else going??  I just found this forum a few weeks ago, I may make the drive from Kingsville MO, sounds like there will be a lot to check out...

Bibbyman

Well,  I don't know about anyone else but Mary and I will be there.  I checked with a couple of other Forum members in the area but they can't make it.

Here is Chad Sanders of Wood-Mizer sawing a walnut log as Pro-Sawyer Mary pulls slabs.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

What a great day!   8) 

It was overcast much of it but the weather was very comforatable.  There were a lot more people here today (Saturday) and a lot of activity.

We met a couple more Forestry Forum members.  Sawwood and his buddy came down from KC area.  Tim from Centralia, MO came over.  Then we had quite a number of Forum Guests step up and introduce themselves.

Here Mary is 'splaining the finer details of turning a log into lumber.  I'm sorry but I can't remember his name.  He's a Forum member but has never posted.  Maybe he will come on down and introduce himself.

Here Mary is talking to a father and son who are interested in a sawmill.

Will Baugh is giving the new owner of an LT40HD training one sawing with his new mill.
Sawing since '94

sawwood

It was a great day.

JR and I took the day off and went to this show. Met Mary and Bibby, and other FF members and guests.

Bibby talking to a FF member.

Mary adding to the conversation.

Chad Sanders running the LT40.

Will loading Mary's truck.

Will talking to the owner of the mill.

Will pulling slabs of White Elm. Nice looking wood.

There was also a nice looking mill at the show, called Keener. Haven't heard of this one, but it worked great. It uses hydraulics to work the saw through the wood, and it's controlled by a valve. Sharp mill.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

bottlefed89

I stopped by saturday, woodmizer looked awesome.  I wasn't as impressed with the keenerbuilt's.  Looked a bit crude compared to other's I've seen.  Seemed to have quite a bit of deflection in the cutting head.   

Thank You Sponsors!