iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

parturient cedars .......

Started by TexasTimbers, October 30, 2005, 06:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I have some large cedars to cut down that sit about a foot from anĀ  existing barbed wire fenceline, and there is no wire visible in any of the trees from an older fence, but I know the possibility of them containing wire is high. Still, they are the largest cedars I have ever seen so I'm going to cut them even though they most certainly contain metal.
I plan to knock the slabs off with used blades. Also, I realize I can discard the first 5 feet or so of the log and decrease my chances but I'm greedy.
So my dumb question is this: Have any of you noticed metal having a propensity to be lodged in the first few inches of a log, or th does it seem to be deeper, or is there no rhyme or reason?
I guess I'm trying to formulate a plan of attack to minimize the number of new blades I'm going to trash.
Like I said. Dumb question.

I like this modify feature I just thought of something else. As a tree grows, does it carry the metal upward with it? Geez, there could be metal anywhere - I was thinking it would just be at fenceline height but if it "rises" as the tree grows then it could be scattered anywhere within the tree. That's a scary thought.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Tom

Wire fencing that a tree has overgrown will be close to the bark on the entry and exit sides.   A metal detector can pick this up but wire doesn't usually offer a strong signal so you must go slow and use care.

While some of the wire may be close to the edge, the nails will, most assuredly, be in the center.

Cedars are often the result of a fence because the seeds come from the birds sitting on the fence.  It could be that your trees are clean. :)

wiam

My guess would be that the trees are clean.  Fences around here do not seem to move much.   Wire is not going to move up the tree.

Will

Ianab

If I think a tree has been used as a fence post in the past I leave a 3ft stump. The wire and staples will be exactly where they were when they were hammered in.  If it was only a couple of years ago they will be close to the surface. If the tree was used as a post when it was a sapling, then the wire will be thru the middle.
It's the ones that have managed to hide all trace of the fence ever being there that are a pain.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!