iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hope we don't lose the road again

Started by Pete J, October 25, 2005, 07:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete J

Here are some flood pictures from the Oct 5th week of torrential rains. It washed out the road in these photos. The ground is still saturated around here and we're being hit by a Nor'Easter fueled by hurricane Wilma. Hope they don't have to replace the road a second time.

This dam is usually dry at the top of the spillway. It is about an 8 or 10 foot drop to the riverbed. Here is is level.

Just to the left you can just make out the top of the dam.

Here is the section of road before it got washed away. It is again 8 to 10 feet down from the roadway to the river. Here it is over the top of the road.

crtreedude

Hang in there Pete! Do you need some corteza logs for bracing?  ;)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

maple flats

logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Pete J

Sorry Fred, they do things a little different around here. In this part of southern Massachussetts, they build bridges with concrete and steel. Dams on the other hand are a whole different ballgame. The dam that's about to bust in Taunton is made of wood. I've asked myself after seeing it, "What were they thinking?"

Tom

On the news down here they reported the Tauton dam as being rebuilt or reinforced or something, overnight.

Captain says he lives just upstream from that dam a little bit.

DanG

Well, that sure beats living a bit downstream from it. ;D

They oughta have warehouses full of little water wheels with generators on'em, so they could stick'em down into them places and harness some of that energy.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Captain

No more "Dam Fun" for us in the fire department up here...the dam has been replaced by a stone and concrete structure, and the original one dismantled.  While I was in Georgia at Moultrie, our Engine 3  and Ladder 1 were covering the north side of Taunton for almost 3 days straight.

Captain

Deadwood

At least you guys still have Dams in place. Unfortunately here in Maine, the Environmentalists are having them torn out left and right. Their ultimate goal is to have all natural rivers again. I am not trying to start a pro-dam versus anti-dam argument here, but I kind of have a fondness for one particular dam. It is located right next to our railroad yard and thus I get to see it's gates being opened and closed, the rise and fall of the water during the seasons and hear the deafening sound of water on days like today when it has rained for 7 consecutive days. It certainly helps pass the boredom that life at the railroad brings on.

Thank You Sponsors!