iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bailey's Grapple Log Trailer--road version

Started by Robert R, October 24, 2005, 07:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

Anyone have one?  I was placing an order today with them and decided to get the video and brochure on it as well.  I still haven't bought a log trailer yet as I don't have the horse trailer paid off.  Hopefully this winter will see enough walnut to put that behind me and I can get a log trailer rather than keep bumming off of my neighbors.  Any testimonials out there on either the trailer or the grapple unit.  I am not sure if I would be better off buying the trailer separately somewhere else and adding on the grapple or getting the combo.  Thanks.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Brad_S.

I tested out the low end unit ($10K at the time) when I was looking for such a rig, and was not impressed (5T?). Loader was weak and trailer was tippy. Last week I saw a high end (10T) unit in action ($20K) and was impressed. Stout trailer, good pick up ability. Looks like you get what you pay for in the Bailey/JMS trailer. Needs a bigger opening grapple, though.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

OneWithWood

I bought the big boy, 10T.  I have been fairly happy with it.  I would advise going for the largest grapple if you have the dinero.  My only real complaint is the lifting capacity. My trailer has the next to the largest grapple/arm arrangement and I struggle with larger dense logs.  The unit trails nicely if you are careful with the weight placement of the load.  I do tend to scuff the tires when turning on a tight radius due to the triple axles.  I bought the JMS unit because it seems to be the only road trailer that you can take into the woods without screwing up the suspension.  When I take it into the woods I tow it with a JD450 crawler.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

blueox

Did you place your order? If you haven't, I would certainly be happy to help you with your homework, if your still in the market for an "on road" unit. Sounds like you may have already made up your mind.

Laurel :D

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

Kevin

Laurel, welcome to the forum and good on you for wading in without hesitation.

Robert R

I haven't anywhere close to made up my mind yet, other than I need a better system than bumming my friends and neighbors trailers (Yeah, I'm that guy).  I am torn between a grapple trailer and a flatbed with a skid steer.  I am going to have to create a heck of a lot of stumps this winter in order to do either but my current system needs serious improvement or I may have to hang up my saws.  (I didn't really mean that, just a moment of temporary insanity).  I am hoping to be able to add firewood sales this winter to up the wood income and help justify a trailer.  It is a serious bite of the log income, especially pallet logs, when I have to hire someone with a loader to help me get on the road to the mill.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Ironwood

Gotta say I have studied lot of trailers and that Blue Ox looks well made and the tandem dual wheels make far greater sense than triples. AND they both support FF, can't go wrong. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

blueox

Robert R...if you are hiring someone to get you loaded, just to get to the mill....Ummmmmmmm why not take those dollars and spend them on your own monthly trailer payment. Don't give away your profits!!!

Laurel :)

Robert R

When we bought our horse trailer, we bought a big one--4 horse slant load with living quarters.  We also show QHs and appaloosa's all summer long and basically live out of the thing.  I think if I went to the back and said "Can I borrow more trailer money" while they might not laugh right out loud, since we haven't ever been late with a payment, they might not be able to justify it.  Y'all offer financing?
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

blueox

Sometimes in life it feels like one step forward and two steps back...we don't offer Blue Ox Financing, buttttt we have a financial source that has been very helpful to many of our customers. Its always worth a shot...

Frank_Pender

You might think of a lease and write the entire lease payment off of your taxes.   The lease agreements I have and had let me purchase the unit for pennies at the end of the lease.  8)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!