iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Termites in my spalt pile..please help

Started by Mesquite Man, October 24, 2005, 12:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesquite Man

I milled some spalted hackberry and it was not quite spalted enough so I put it directly on the ground and covered with sawdust to get it to spalt some more.  I checked it yesterday and termites are already in the wood after only being buried for 2 weeks.  What can I do?  I thought about using boric acid but am afraid it will also kill the spalting fungus.  Can anyone help?

Thanks.

"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

Kirk_Allen

Three things I have found as a huge attractant to termintes are cardboard, straw, and sawdust. 

They have termite spary killer at most TSC stores but dont know how that will effect the termites.  In most cases, having cought it as soon as you did if you stand the board up and remove all the termites they may just go back into the ground as they dont like lite. 

Regardless, you have a colony close by that is going to need to be treated or you going to continue to have problems. 

Texas Ranger

here in Texas, any board on or in the ground will attract termites.  For spalted wood the best bet is to stack it and keep it damp.  Spalting is caused by a wood fungus that needs damp wood.  You will need to watch it and not let it go to far.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!