iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Barn Needs Removal

Started by chazmonro, October 23, 2005, 11:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chazmonro

Hey guys, I posted about this over on woodnet but they were no help. Anyone know how a guy goes about finding someone to take down an old barn? My cousin has this old barn with a stone foundation... the foundation is giving away, and he wants to have the barn removed. He thinks the timber is worth money (the timber is in good shape) by any chance is there a market for old barns? We're in Northern Illinois. I'd love to have the timber, but I don't have room to store it, nor do I have the time or experience needed to take down a barn. Its a nice structure, its a shame its got to go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I post over in the Timber Frame forum?

Chuck

Furby

Try this thread in the Timber Framing/Log construction board if you want to tackle it yourself:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=14487.0

CHARLIE

I know the Amish will build barns for a price.....maybe they will take them down too.  If you have any Amish in your area, contact them.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

Chuck, I'd sure look into restoring the barn if there is any interest at all.  It could be that fixing the foundation is cheaper than having the barn dismantled.  Otherwise, some yoyo will come in and crunch it with an excavator and haul it to the dump, at ol' cuz's expense, or someone will charge him big bucks, then keep the valuable timbers.  I'd certainly be looking into the possibility of fixing it, or at least taking care of the timbers.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

Woodcarver

There are ads in the classifieds around here from time to time placed by companies wanting to purchase old farm buildings.  An aquaintance of mine recently sold a barn.  The buyer dismantled it and used it in the construction of a resturant in the Chicago area.

The buyer took the beams and most of the barn siding.  The seller didn't get a large sum for the barn, but he said it was enough to cover the cost of hiring someone to bury what was left of it and buy a malt beverage or two.  ;D
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Brad_S.

There is a timber framing company here in New York that buys structures around the country for reclamation. You could give them a call.

http://www.newenergyworks.com/ or their sister company http://www.pioneermillworks.com/
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Larry

Another outfit

http://www.reclaimedstructures.com/

There website is quite an education.

They buy and sell all over the midwest.  Very big bucks in reclaimed wood...if your a good salesman.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Not far from here there was an old house someone dismantled and built a smaller house and a small barn for a couple horses. Most guys here just want the steel roofing and won't take the barn boards and beams. There not building barns like they used too, most are pole barns for hay and winter shelter for beef cattle. The government controls the dairy now and has for over 25 years with big bucks $$ involved in getting a quota, that's one reason those old barns are falling down. To buy a quota by the litre is like buying gold bullion by the brick. Everything revolves around high production with declining returns since the 70's. My uncle has a great big old barn that will eventually fall into the ground, although it's in good shape now.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!