iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Checked Some Lumber Prices Today

Started by Radar67, October 23, 2005, 10:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

Checked some prices today and thought I would share. I'll say the prices are from a national retailer.

Red Oak
1x4 - $1.78 linear foot (calculates to $5.39 a board foot)
1x6 - $2.69 linear foot ($5.38 board foot)
1x8 - $3.59 linear foot ($5.36 board foot)

Averages $5.38 per board foot

SYP
2x4x10 - $3.07 ($.60 BDFT)
2x4x12 - $4.26 ($.53 BDFT)
2x6x12 - $6.45 ($.54 BDFT)
1x4x10 - $3.75 ($1.33 BDFT)
1x6x10 - $7.19 ($1.44 BDFT)
1x12x10 - $15.65 ($1.57 BDFT)

I was suprised to see the difference in price per BDFT between 1x and 2x SYP.

Based on these figures, I saved $447.55 on the oak I have cut in the last couple of weeks. It didn't take much to add up, about 85 BDFT!  8)  Cool emoticon Jeff!!!

Are these prices similar in your area?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Percy

Up here in Northern B.C. , there is a S4S- 2X6X14 clear VG Red oak board in the local building supply store and Im needing around 150 bucks I think to buy it...wish we had that(Red Oak) up here.. :o
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Norm

Problem is alot of folks think the best lumber comes from the home depots of the world. I did too until I started using my own lumber in woodworking. I had gotten to where I didn't like the looks of red oak, bought a sawmill and sliced up a big old red oak from the back 40. Turned out it was curly with some very tight growth rings, prettiest red oak I'd ever seen.

Percy I'll trade you some red oak for CVG WRC. When you coming to Iowa on vacation. ;D

Radar67

Norm,
     I know what you mean. If I buy lumber, I go to a regional/local company. They beat the price of the larger chains and usually have better looking lumber to boot. Now that I am sawing my own stuff, I am seeing much better boards and grain patterns. Heck, to me Hickory is an exotic, you can't buy it around here. I also sawed up some sweet gum when I first got the saw, it looked as good as the poplar I was seeing in the "big chains". I'm waiting for my first Magnolia, I think it has a nice pattern.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Thank You Sponsors!