iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Popular wood

Started by RSteiner, September 03, 2002, 09:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSteiner

I was wondering if any of you out there could give me a little information about popular wood.  I ended up with a few saw logs from a lot I cut off which I have begun to mill out.  

Some of the wood is nice white clear stuff, some has a rust colored stain from what I guess would be branch rot.  How durable is the wood to the elements in board form?  I know if the bark is left on it rots almost as fast as white birch.  

It appears to be a soft hardwood.  Does it air dry without splitting and twisting?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Randy
Randy

Ron Scott

Poplar (aspen) is used a here in Michigan for pulpwood and sawlogs.

The sawlogs are sawn for structural lumber, and pallet stock. It is an intolerant species (favors sunlight) of short rotation 40-60 years, a favored wildlife species, and is regenerated by even aged management (clearcutting).

The last few photos in the Timber Harvesting and Equipment Thread shows it being processed, decked, and trucked off the harvest area. This particular harvest of aspen was on a Hunt Club property for its commercial value and wildlife habitat improvement.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!