iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 032 Question

Started by PhinPhan, October 20, 2005, 03:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhinPhan

I have a Stihl 032 chainsaw which was in need of a new bar and chain.  I went to the local store that supplies Stihl parts but they did not have the exact replacement bar that was currently on the saw, so I got a new Rollamatic ES bar (part number 3003 000 8822) with a new chain part number (33RM2-72). 

My question is, is this bar and chain combo all right to use with this older saw?

Thanks

Mtnjack

Sure these guys know what they are doing, the o32 was a good saw as i have one but they have a problem being so old it is very hard to get parts most shops wont go to the trouble if i were you i wood look for a shihl 026 you eill be more than happy. Mtn Jack

PhinPhan

Mtnjack - thanks for the reply.  I was thinking the same thing, I think I will suffer through this winter and save my money and get a new Stihl for next fall.

I went ahead and put this new bar and chain on the saw, but it just doesn't feel right.

sawguy21

That should be the correct bar and chain. Bar design has evolved over the years and the new ones are slimmer, lighter, yet stronger. The important thing is the bar mount pattern so that the slot size is correct and the oiler hole lines up with the one on the saw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

boboak

I'm still running an 032 that I bought new in the early eighties.  Good little saw.  You can get aftermarket bars and chain from Baileys or Madsens...Oregon still makes 'em
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

StihlDoc

The bar and chain mount for the 032 is the same as any of the new STIHL's using .325" or 3/8" pitch chain (MS 260, MS 280, MS 361) and a 3003 bar mount. Nothing has changed in the bar mounting area for over 30 years. All the new stuff also fits the old stuff.

SawTroll

:P The bar is correct according to Stihls Bar & Chain catalog, but there also are other options. Take a look at page 38.

I would not have accepted the RM2 safety chain, as it will not cut very efficiently. :(

Take it back and change it for regular RM if your wood is dirty, RSC or RS if it usually is clean.
Information collector.

PhinPhan

Thanks for all the reply's and information.  I will look into getting a different chain.

Thank You Sponsors!