iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trestle table

Started by Larry, October 19, 2005, 06:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Put together a new table while back.  It was an exercize in design and also a test of a new finish (for me)...boiled linseed oil and 6 wiped on coats of Waterlox Orginal gloss.  Going to wipe on 1 more coat of Waterlox Orginal satin to cut the sheen a little.

Table was made of red oak...top was low grade narrow strips laminated together.

Used to just sign stuff I made...if I remembered, but did something little different on this one.

Criticism, comments, and suggestions most welcome...it is how I improve my craft.  Want to make another table later this year out of walnut if you guys approve of my design.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SAW MILLER

Good looking table...I like it :) :)
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

sprucebunny

Great looking, Larry and I like your inscription ;D

The table looks sturdy and graceful at the same time  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sawwood

Great looking Table Larry. One sugestion if the table is used for serving you
might want a harder finish. A walnut one or may be some honey locust may
look good also.

Lester
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Furby

I like it!
Give ya $5 for it and will be out next week to pick it up! ;) ;D

ohsoloco

That is a fine looking table, Larry  :)  The joinery looks great, and shows some really nice craftsmanship.  I like how you signed your piece as well, what did you use to inscribe it...I use a woodburning tool to sign mine.  The last piece I made was from some cherry I milled myself, so when I signed it I burned in what town the cherry grew in and the year it was taken down (such as...Fairbrook, PA cherry '02) and then burned in my initials and the year it was made.   

My only suggestion would be to use removable wedges on the bottom stringer (or whatever it's called  ::) ) so it would be easier to move from one place or another (if you planned on selling it that is...or if you move a lot)

Did I mention that's DanG fine work  8)

Ianab

I Like   :)

I need to build something similar, but with a solid top, so this is another one in the 'inspiration' folder.
If I can get it anything like that good I'll be well pleased.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dan_Shade

I really like that.

I like the inscription too!

I've got some honey locust outside, by now, it's probably too hard to saw, I don't even know what it will look like.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pigman

I like it. 8) If that is low grade wood you sure made it look like high grade. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

pasbuild

Pretty EZ to critique this piece   ITS PERFECT
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

mike_van

Looks good Larry - Did you leave a way for the top to expand & contract across the trestles? 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Part_Timer

looks awsome  8) 8) 8)

walnut would be nice.  I like walnut with the sap in it and that table would be great that way.
locust would be nice and hickory would be nice too.

Bet anything would look nice built like that.

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Gecko

That is one beautifuk table and it looks like it is sturdy enough to withstand even my kids.  It is like workbench meets fine furniture and it really works for me. I love it. And as was said before, if that is low grade wood, you really did a great job with it. The inscription is cool as well.
As Always,
   Gecko

CHARLIE

That is a fine looking trestle table and should serve you and your family well for many years. In fact, I see it becoming a family heirloom.  One thing I've heard that some woodworkers do that I want to do sometime if I can remember it. To date their piece, they imbed a new penny in some out of the way place. They countersink it and epoxy it in place.  I like what you wrote on your table and it will become more meaningful as time goes on.  I might suggest you include the type of wood and where the tree grew. That information may be valuable many years from now.

Great craftsmanship!!!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

ARKANSAWYER

Larry just bring that little darling down and I will give it a 6 month trial in the kitchen to see how it holds up to normal wear and tear.   I know my kids will load test it as well as a surface duration test.  It looks wonderful but we need further testing for the design. ;)   I have some low grade cherry you might be interested in.
ARKANSAWYER

brdmkr

I really like the table.  I think I like the 'credits' even more.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

OneWithWood

Very fine work, Larry. And good use of low grade materials.  I think you are on to something. :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sandmar

BEAUTIMUS! GReat work my friend...mind if I steal the design and copy the signature? I got 4 24"X12' pine flitches drying right now for a similar project.You think I might need a third leg in the middle to keep it steady at around 10'? I am gonna make it as big as possible to put upstairs in the barn we are working in for get togethers. That way if things get to rowdy I can sneak out and go to the house  :D

Sandmar

Larry

Wow...thanks for all the nice comments. :)

Lester, I used Waterlox gloss...supposed to be lot harder than regular Waterloss.  Month of hard use and still looks good.  Might have to take up Arkie on the torture test just to make sure.

Mike, I put three dowels in the trestle part.  Center one is fixed while the two on the ends run in a slot in the top...keeps everything straight in one dimension.  Cleats on the bottom keep the top on and allow it to move, but hopefully prevent any warp.

Charlie, you musta been talking to Dad...he always puts in a penny along with his signature.  Lot of times he will put it someplace where it is hard to find.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

D._Frederick

Larry,

You have a very nice looking table there, I have built a bench using the same type design. I haven't had good luck laminating together a large table top, they don't like to stay flat!

Ernie

Larry

Great table and magnificent inscription, the Lord deserves more credit that we usually give Him, it nice to see. Well done
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ironwood

Larry ,

Looks great, and hints of Sam Maloof style. This is the one area where I am in my domain unlike many others were I am no master. It truely looks good.

Reid Crosby, Professional furniture builder/ designer
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Skytramp

Nice Work Larry;   
    I like the way you used full thick lumber for the construction.  Oak needs to be built heavy, it just looks better that way.
D Frederic;
     Try Flipping every other board when laminating, to make up for any minuscual error in setting.  I don't care what kind of equipment you have it is next to impossable to get a jointer or a saw set perfect.
SkyTramp
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

jgoodhart

Real nice table Larry ;)

Modat22

Really nice looking project, you must have alot of time and care invested in that gem.
remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!