iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frapper Mapper

Started by Texas Ranger, October 19, 2005, 03:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Steve Nix over at about com has finally caught up with Jeff and the FF.  He has a mapping thingy similar to here, but with a difference.  You enter by posting your ZIP code, a name and a message.

When it shows up on the the map you have an option to look at it from a road map, satelite photo, or a hybrid of both.

It is called a "frapper mapper" and can be seen at:  http://www.risingconcepts.com/frapper/aboutforestryforum
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

crtreedude

Discrimination against people VERY south of the border...  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Murf

Dat der mapopin ting has some kinda crazy database.   ::)

It didn't know the nearest real town, about 10 miles away, which has about 25,00 people in it, but knew the village of 350 people just down the road from me.   :P

Go figger.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

SwampDonkey

Let me know if it finds Woodstock, NB  one of the first Towns in the country. ;)

Actually it looks alot like Googles new Local Map Data website. ;D
http://www.google.com/lochp?hl=en&tab=wl&q=

Actually I scrolled down the page and guess what I saw? Powered by Google ;D

I like Jeff's map better, it's faster. And those satellite images on the Google map site are pretty useless unless you have a clear aerial photo in your hand and squint your eyes to try as you might to find your location. I found my neighborhood, but that's because I am very familiar with the aerial photography around here. :P
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Update, must say the map of New Brunswick is fairly accurate, even shows my neighborhood, but doesn't draw the road. Kinda clumps the names (there are two sections- Upper and Lower Royalton) into the Knoxford road. Don't know why they didn't draw the road, the provincial maps are free online from the government in GIS format. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Murf, you have to scroll in close. They didn't name anything on the map near New Brunswick at the smaller scales, then when I started Zooming is showed Rimouski in Quebec. Then I kept going in.....and I found home. :D

Jeff

Thanks Don, Now WE have a frapper MapperĀ  ;D

This one is ours....
http://www.risingconcepts.com/frapper/theforestryforum

Lets see how many we can get on it! Use the link just above. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Itput me about 8-10 miles from where I actually am.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D I had to give up, it wouldn't recognize the city/town location even though it's on the map. It keeps looking up the name in the states even though there is a button to choose another country outside the US, go figure. :D :D :D :D

WH_Conley

Puts me about 15 miles west of where I actually am, tried to change to the old, discontinued zip code. No luck
Bill

SwampDonkey

Well...I'm on there, kind of. :D I had to use Woodstock, 25 miles to my south. ;)

breederman

I put it in Unadilla,but my house is by the top left edge of the baloon.Our little road isn't on there but the county rd at the bottom of the hill is.
Together we got this !

tnlogger

It must like the south better  ;D rights on the money
gene

submarinesailor

Puts me about 5 miles north in the National Park.

Timburr

About 2Ā½ miles out, but I can live with that ;) Can almost see the house!!
Sense is not common

pigman

I am not sure where it put me. :( My old puter keeps locking up and I have to ctrl-alt-delete to get out. Maybe need to tighten the string on my phone. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WH_Conley

pigman, looks like ya are about halfway between Louisville and t 71-75 split. If I had of known you was that close I would have stopped in when I was working at McAlpine lock.
Bill

pigman

Bill, That is about where I am. Tried to look again and locked up again. :(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Texas Ranger

The advantage I see is the photo attachment, and, the ability to zoom in and seperate the different posters in the same state.

isawlogs

I could not get it any closer then 20 miles ... Had to get put in Ottawa to be put on map . I'm not even in the right province .  :-\   I prefer the forum s .. at least I know I am close to home .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Timburr, did you try the satellite imagery, once you find your town. It's probably too blurry to see the house. ;)

johnjbc

I added both my home and camp. Home is off by 5 miles and camp by 10
They need to allow you to enter your location by Lat Lon
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

sawguy21

Quote from: isawlogs on October 20, 2005, 12:24:32 AM
  I could not get it any closer then 20 miles ... Had to get put in Ottawa to be put on map . I'm not even in the right province .  :-\   I prefer the forum s .. at least I know I am close to home .  ;D
I noticed that too Marcel. Didn't think you would be happy with that. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Murf

Quote from: Jeff B on October 19, 2005, 05:49:17 PM
Itput me about 8-10 miles from where I actually am.

Didja do sumtin wrong at home dere Boss?

Mebbe da meesus sent them some sorta update .......

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

OneWithWood

Hold the Phone!!

Call the Cops!!

Someone pert near stole the whole state of Indiana!

Looked close enough on the map but when I switched to satellite their was a big blank for most of Indiana.  I know some think we are from another world.  Mebbee there is some truth to that!!

On the other hand prying eyes can't see what we are up to.  :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Texas Ranger

I beena to Illinoise and Indiana, the photographer fell asleep. ::)

OneWithWood

You were just in the wrong (central) part where it is flat enough to roll a dime from the Ohio/PA border to the Mississippi river.  That's OK though, if too many people knew what the northern and southern parts of the state looked like we would have no piece and quiet.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sandmar

Well folks......it put my little balloon about 5 miles from my house... I don't live right in town but,,,,,,it named I-75 route 401???? what's up with that?? Got all the small roads completely correct and missed I-75  ::) fun sight,could waste LOTSSSSSS of time there!!

Sandmar

Timburr

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 20, 2005, 07:30:42 AM
Timburr, did you try the satellite imagery, once you find your town. It's probably too blurry to see the house. ;)
Sure did, used satellite imagery to "home in". I got my red hot air balloon up to about 3,000 miles and the missis wanted me home quick ;D
THe operative words were 'almost see' :-X

Wow, it's getting a bit congested over there...another couple 'a days and the American continent is going to be camouflaged in pink :D

Tim
Sense is not common

arj

I`m about two miles south and a little to the west. The map shows the pond next to my house though

Jeff

Quote from: Timburr on October 20, 2005, 08:07:53 PM

Wow, it's getting a bit congested over there...another couple 'a days and the American continent is going to be camouflaged in pink :D

Tim

I put it on the world view, cause I didntwant to leave any of our members out. I could put it on the USA view, but I figured you all could just use the zoom. :)

Ianab

I got my town in NZ listed OK, it missed by a couple of miles though.
Sat. imagery is pretty good, can pick out the roads and streams, but the map leaves the whole of NZ as 'unexplored teritory', I guess thats why it's still a Beta version ;)

If you do a medium zoon in on my flag it gives you a good view of the Mt and the park that surrounds it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Phorester

Hah!  Didja ever stop to think that all you fellers who are complaining about the placement of your homes on this here map are actually living in the wrong place??? 

Now you're gonna have to move so the map will be right. 

GareyD

If I zoom all the way in I can see the house, lake, buildings and even the cars parked in the driveway ;)

The sad part is it's all about 4 miles southeast of where fraggle sez I live...I could move the cars easy, the house and buildings maybe....but does anyone have any good ideas on moving the 30 acre lake ??? :o ???
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Tom

Don't use Frapper to try to find my house.  They have me a long way away and a couple of communities distant.   The reason is that they plop your sign in the "middle" of your zip code.  Our zip code is a big one. 

I noticed that when I used a different frapper on another site, it placed me in a different place that this frapper.

It did get me in the right part of the State though.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!