iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kitchen Renovation - phase 1

Started by Ianab, October 17, 2005, 05:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Been putzing around in my spare time sprucing up my kitchen.

Phase 1 is some wood panelling - Monterey (macrocarpa) cypress shiplap profile. It's going to look good I think. Replacing all the cupboard doors with matching timber ones (10 built so far - 4 more to do). 
Next there is a breakfast bar along the wall on the right, got a nice 2ft wide slab to do that, then a new table (solid slab as well). A couple of new cabinets up in the corners.. some bar stoools... ::)

Projected completion date... ummm... probably not this year  ::)

But at least progress is being made  8)

Oh, and the fetching pink colour is history as well. Thinking a nice neutral grey unless there are any interior designers out there with a better idea  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Patty

Looks good! Grey will be a nice soothing color. My son just painted his kitchen a dark red, with white countertops and oak floors and cupboards. It is striking and very pretty, I think.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

iain

I understand the term "putzing"
but whats with this  "spare time" thing is that only avalible in NZ?

IAIN

sprucebunny

Nice looking wood.

I'd choose a light green for the walls....it really makes wood  look good. And I just LOVE green ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

pigman can put a mural on that wall real quick, I betcha! :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Found a little more of that 'spare time' thing...
Got the rest of the boards up, nail holes filled, sanded and first coat of poly on...

I think it's looking good  :)

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ohsoloco

Ianab, how think are the boards you're using?  Did you put something up as a nailer for them?  I'd really like to put up some wainscoting in some of the rooms in my house....eventually  ::)

It's coming along nicely  :)

Deadwood

Looks great guy. I have been doing a little kitchen remodeling myself with some of the wedding money we got. It's not easy finding the time that is for sure. Of course we are in different hemispheres so as I am quickly approaching winter, you are heading into summer. My kitchen is by no means fancy though. No unique wood species like you, just some V-matched White Pine for the ceiling to kind of go along with my Ash flooring.

Ianab

QuoteIanab, how think are the boards you're using?  Did you put something up as a nailer for them?

The boards are 25mm (1") rough sawn, planed to 19mm (about 3/4") and a basic shiplap profile run on home made router table. The house is conventional 4x2 stud and dwang construction so they are just nailed thru the old hardboard lining into the bottom plate and dwangs. They aren't going anywhere. ;)

QuoteNo unique wood species like you

Macrocarpa isn't unique here  ;). Now Ash and White pine would be  ;D
What you define as exotic really depends on where you live eh  :)

I've got about another 10 of those Macrocarpa trees to mill, all in the 2'-4' dbh size so plenty more where that came from.

Ian

ohsoloco

I was wondering where you nailed those if it were a conventional stick framed house.  Soooo, what's a dwang  ???  I'm assuming it's just a 2x4 nailed horizontally in between the studs.  Can't even think of what I'd call that...dwang it is  :D

Ianab

QuoteNOG / DWANG - the timber that goes between the studs

Obviously whats called 'conventional' construction is different to  ;D

Anyway thats what it is, short horizontal 2x4s between the studs, makes the whole frame stiffer and gives you something to attach the wall lining too.  :)

Cheers

Ian

Tom

I have a link to a conventional framing website on Tomssaw.com and I went and looked.  Couldn't find a Dwang, though that's a good name.  Did find diagonal bridge, like you find on a floor joist and seem to remember my Uncle talking about a horizontal bridge.  That would make a fancy name for the dwang.  Also the site talked about Nailers and Firestoppers.  Either of those would probably work too.   Go to my links and look at that site, Ian.  You might enjoy it.   It's a PDF with lots of drawings.

Ianab

Here's a pic of a friends house being built last year.

You can see where the dwangs are placed between the upright studs. The whole house frame and roof trusses were prefrabricated by the timber yard from the builders (custom) plans, delived to site and put together like a big constructor kit.

Cheers

Ian

Tom

Fla._Deadheader

Back in the old days, Dwangs were called "Cattin". Fireblocks was another name. Bridgin is another name.

Funny how that stuff is recalled rather easily, but, I can't remember my name ½ the time.

Man, sure is tough re-learnin this English Keyboard, after using a Spanish version for 3 weeks, EH ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

solodan

Ian,

has  Monterey Cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa)become naturalized in New Zealand, or is it just used as an ornamental or wind break. I was aware that Monterrey Cypress was cultivated in New Zealand as a hedge or a wind break, but was unsure if it was grown for lumber.
also , how does it grow? in it's native range in central California it grows right along the ocean and gets all twisted and contorted from the wind.
I have also seen it grown in sheltered areas and it becomes a much larger tree, 100' or so and up to 8' dbh. In California you can sometimes get  it due to windfall along coastal communities where it was planted, but other than that it is rarley used for anything.

Ianab

Quotehas  Monterey Cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa)become naturalized in New Zealand, or is it just used as an ornamental or wind break. I was aware that Monterrey Cypress was cultivated in New Zealand as a hedge or a wind break, but was unsure if it was grown for lumber.
also , how does it grow?

You are right, the tree is mostly planted as shelter belts on farms and as an ornamental. It's not often planted as timber because the the form is so variable, you get ingrown bark or heavy branching and no two trees grow the same. If it's grown in a sheltered location in a stand of other trees it will often grow very good logs however. Although it will self seed around existing trees it's not really naturalised. Size would be similar to the best trees you have, 100ft tall and over 6ft dbh. The wood is very nice to work if you can get it. It's somewhat brittle and will tear out and split more than some, but it smells great, polishes up well and usually has interesting grain.

I suspect it will become less common in future years as less is planted these days. Other species like Japanese cedar and hybrid cypress are more popular for shelter at the moment, but they are also millable  :) Meanwhile the old hedge trees are reaching old age and basically need to be cut down anyway.

Cheers

Ian

Andy Mack

There you go, never heard of a Dwang  ???   

We call them nogging, well most builders here pronounce it like "noggen"

Ianab

Ianab

A bit more progress...

Cabinet is almost done to go beside the stove and I cut out a solid top for that today and a matching slab for a breakfast bar. This will go along the panelled wall seen above.  :)

Marking out the large slab.

Cross cutting... with precision woodworking tool  ;)

After planeing with mill / router jig. One edge has been trimmed straight to fit against the wall (and remove some rotten patches) while the front edge I will leave as a 'Live' edge.

And yes it's almost SUMMER here  ;D

Cheers

Ian

UNCLEBUCK

That is looking very nice indeed !  Words I learn here seem to stick in my mind and I use them alot to see the looks I get so I am going to have fun with 'dwang" . You sure saw some real cool wide boards ! 8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Don_Papenburg

I did not notice the proper word for Dwang/nogging in that glossery . We always called it blocking if used to suport things or bridging if used to stiffen and firestop if that was its purpose.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ianab

Some more progress

I've got the bench sanded and some ends built to hold it up. Just finished 1st coat of poly.

Trial fit to make sure it fits the space  ;)

It butts up against this home-made cabinet.

The top after a coat of polyurethane

Close up, I'll try and getone with better lighting that shows the curly grain better  :)

Cheers

Ian

UNCLEBUCK

Boy you sure make nice heavy fancy grained stuff . 8)  Excellento !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!