iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Want to move to a farm... LOTS of questions... ???

Started by asy, October 16, 2005, 09:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Ditto! on the 12 guage if that's your only weapon.  A Good defensive weapon.

Even a "miss" will get respect and attention to often turn an assailant around or make them run for cover. ;) As Tom mentioned, the single shot is often carried as a "working" or "beater" weapon due their lesser cost and simplicity of use in the elements.

One can also get shots off fast enough if you have the shells in hand, ;)

~Ron

broker farmer

All your questions about the farm reminded me of the old story about the farmer who had inherited one million dollars.  Somebody asked him what he was going to do with all the money, he replied "well, I'm just going to farm until it is all gone"!         Keep that in mind.

Tom_in_Mo.

Asy, the first thing in farming is don't think you are going to make a living doing it. The payoff is the peace of mind of not being close to someone, raising your veggies, meat and able to hunt whenever you want and not having to ask someone's permission.

If you buy a tractor go ahead and get a front-end loader you will be glad you did.

I only have beef cattle. I calf in the late fall, vacinate in the spring (about April) do haying in the early summer and of course keeping watch on fences, calf not getting sick along with the cows. The fun part is watch those calves grow.

The taxes sure isn't fun at all.

guns: all you can get. .22, shotguns and of course every caliber of rifles :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Saki

There has been some great suggestions here in this thread. I hope that I can add some more.

I don't think I can agree with anyone more than some of the folks that have suggested talking with neighbors or some old-timers in that area. Life is short, and you just have to realize that as just 1 person, you won't have time to make all the mistakes yourself ;D. Learn from their mistakes and it could save you untold labor and money.

A good older tractor with a front loader is a great investment. Can do in minutes what it may take you days of hand labor. I say older just for simplicity's sake. I tend to my small tree farm and acreage with a tractor owned by my granddad that was brand spanking new in 1952. older equipment is generally easier to work on, but will also have limitations and will not have most of the modern safety features. :( Might study real long on that and realistically take stock of your situation. Who will be operating it? Do they have any experience? Will they be able to recognize a dangerous situation? I have a fella at work who's favorite saying about a chancy situation encountered anytime he is relating a story about his youth is " I didn't even know enough to be scared "

Firearms: I know things are vastly different in Australia than here, but I will at least give some food for thought. Many of the folks above have recommended a 12 gauge pump gun. If I could only have one gun, that would be what I would get also. Buckshot would be the best general choice for how I understand that you would use this gun. Most buckshot shells have 9 to 12 individual .30 calibre pellets contained in the shell. You would be sending out multiple potentially lethal projectiles with each trigger pull. If you say 10 pellets to the shell 5 shell capacity for the typical pumpgun, you have the capability of sending out a total of 50 projectiles before reloading. As mentioned earlier, you also have the widest selection of types of ammo including birdshot or slugs capable of dropping large game right where it stands. Recoil can be a problem. There is a distinct shove against your should when you trigger off a round in a 12 gauge. If you can, shoot several different guns before you pick one much like you would test-drive a car. There are other gauges of shotguns and the higher the number, the smaller the bore/shell. A 16 gauge is smaller than a 12. A 20 gauge is smaller than a 16, etc. Make sure that you are COMFORTABLE with whatever you pick. Often when you may have desperate need of it is when the situation can be most rattling and you don't want something that you are hesitant to shoot, or dread to pick up. It is another tool, nothing more, nothing less. Make sure it is a tool you are familiar with. Practice with it and be confident in its performance. That said, if you can afford to have more than one I am going to break with some of the rest of the advice given and recommend you look at an old military surplus bolt action rifle in addition to a shotgun. Military arms were made in mass, meaning lots of spare parts, reasonable prices, readily available ammo, and simplistic operation. Here in the us, it is still possible to pick up a decent used surplus bolt action rifle for 100 to 200 dollars.

Don't neglect learning from the sources listed above, and there are many books out on the subject. I received a good one for Christmas called " The contrary farmer " I am only partway through it, but it has some great stuff. Best to you, and I hope your move is everything you hope it to be.

jon12345

For a single gun, I think I'd go with the 22 mag/20ga over/under if you can get your hands on, but bigger guns can compensate a little bit for a bad shot.

If you don't have your pets running around all over the property, one option to keep the feral animals discouraged is to trap some of them out.  Most farmers I see here, don't really care about other animals because they see them as competition, which they are, but thats a different story...

As for growing food,  I think your best bet would be to start out with the easiest things, that way you don't waste too much time on trying to grow something that isn't going to be worth it in the long run.  I'm not familiar with wild foods in australia, but you may be able to spruce up your diet with naturally occuring foods.  You could also plant some low maintenance fruit or nut trees too. 

Are there any buildings on the site?  If not, it may be economical to build a 'green' house to save on energy bills.

Chickens are a pretty easy animal to raise here, but then gain there are no venomous snakes or snakes large enough to eat them.  If you free range them for a good part of their life this may become negligible given the cost of chicks.  Some people are also willing to pay a premium for brown eggs.  Trapping the wild piggies could also be another source of income?  I know some people down south trap them and sell the sows, and castrate the boars and release them, so when they are caught again or shot they are more palatable.  Selling fur from animals that have been shot or trapped in the early winter can also provide some income.

Just remember that if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

No matter what you end up doing, good luck.  ;D

A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SAW MILLER

Asy.....my wife was raised in Detroit and she has lived on the farm with me for 33 years.You could't move her back to town now if you tried.There is nothing like the freedom and peace we get from living in the country.

You should definately grow some GRITZ ..If you need some seed I would be glad to sell ya a bag of grit seeds. :) :) :)

Good luck on your new adventure ,          Ron
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Part_Timer

Quote from: asy on October 17, 2005, 06:42:49 PM

ALthough, I am waiting for the day my daughter starts bringing boys home. I'm gonna be standing on the porch with a shotgun, and the backhoe within view and mention to them that if she gets into any 'trouble' of any sort, I'm gonna show him how the shotgun and backhoe can work together...   :o

* asy wonders if this comes under the category 'occasional snake'...

Absolutly.  that sure enough is in the occasional snake catagory. :D :D :D :D

We live in the country but not on a farm yet.  my daughter is in the 3rd grade now but when she graduates in 9 years we are moving to Virginia to a farm we are paying off now. 

As far as a gun goes I'm with Noble on the as many as possible but that is just me.  IMHO The best gun to have is one that you can shoot well and are comfortable with.  I like a 12 gauge pump.  the wife doesn't like it and keeps a 20 gauge double barrel by the bed when  I travel.  My wife didn't like my choices so she went out and bought what she likes and is comfortable with.  Now we're both happy.

My uncle had a 120 acre farm for years and the one thing I remember was him checking the generator before winter and again in the spring just before tornado season.  That way of they lost power for a couple of days they had the well pump.

If I get a chance later I can post some pics of the farm and tell you about our choices if your interested

best of luck

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

UNCLEBUCK

Get a farm asy !  I think you would like it alot .  Just because you live on a farm doesnt mean you have to be a farmer . About 99% of all the farmers in my county by all their meat,eggs,dairy,grains, at the grocery store in town . They run too big of a farm and they dont have time to mess around with picking eggs . I believe someday they will find the time again. Hobby farms are selling like hotcakes now with all the tv shows showing that kind of lifestyle. I think keep it fun and have a few animals of every kind .small tractor etc..  low overhead, find a niche market and make use of the internet .  Excitement and no stress .    At one time in my life all my money was going to support beef cattle and machinery . I dont wish that on anyone so think of all the names for all the animals youre going to get and watch alot of shows like www.livingthecountrylife.com  www.rfdtv.com   and that mother earth news magazine is pretty cool too .   ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

asy

Quote from: Part_Timer on January 03, 2006, 10:28:30 PM
If I get a chance later I can post some pics of the farm and tell you about our choices if your interested

Tom

YES PLEASE!!!!!

What a silly question, OF COURSE I want photos!!!  :D :D :D

Ron, I think I can get gritZ seeds here, they's called CORN as I recall...  Aren't they???

Buck, we're working on it, it's our goal in the next year or so...  Still lookn...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Flyboy

:D ASY, I wouldn't buy nothin unless it had some "Sugar Maples" growin on it ;D ;D  Theres been a lot of good advice on this thread so far. I've always lived in the bush so it'd be like me askin what do I need to survive in the city.
As much land as you can afford. Some open, some woodland. A good saw. A small mill, I got a Norwood LM 2000, Love it! A good Dog ;) Protection & company, if the missus got a headache. Guns: I got more guns than teeth :D 22 Pump (A Must) 12ga Pump, (I got an 870 Remington, simple, indestructable) Revolver, I'd go with a 357 Mag, you can shoot 38's in it till your acustom, then put in the big loads when your needin it. It'll stop most anything.  >:( If you got big game? a 30-30, 308, 30-06, 270, 35 Rem. Most any will do da job. 35 Rem is my choice for the bush, slow movin, big slug that has the hittin power of a freight train. A 270 for the long shots.
A Tractor, most of what you can afford. A wide front end!!! Don't be going on the woods with a tricycle front end, unless you been on tractors a good long time. A 4X4, 50hp or bigger. A winch, like a Farmi, skiddin logs on the draw bar works, but sucks, Lots of things you can do with a winch, besides pullin logs. Front end loader too. A set of tools for when she breaks down. IT WILL :o  Critters: I grew up on a dairy farm (holsteins) forget cows!!! :D I'd get and have Boer Goats! Good for Meat, will clear your brush, easy to care for. Breed them with a milk goat or two, get the best of both worlds. You might be able to sell a few. Rabbits, better than chicken, No Feathers! >:( sept for the eggs. Pigs, absolutley! they will till and fertilize the ground after the goats strip it. Take a steele bar and "plant" some corn around stumps & rocks, the pigs will excavate them for ya, you come along with your tractor and carry them off. 8) Crops, unless your big time mechanized and such, grow what your gonna eat. Veggies. the waste can go to the critters, compost. You don't need grain, hay, etc unless you got cows. The goats will fend for themselves, pigs too. Don't be feedin cabbage to your rabbitts. They're digestive system can't take it in large quantitys, they can't fart. It'll kill them. Cept for the rabbitts, you can keep everthin where you want um with a good electric fence ;) No matter what other folks tell ya. If your off the grid, go solar! 8)
Best have a little grub stake stashed away for unseen catastrophies. You aint gonna make money livin off the land, BUT you'll sleep better, have less acid reflux, headaches, high cholesterol, sexual malfunctions, stress, and all the other ailments plaugein the 21st century from livin like rats in cities, pushin and clawin there way to an early death in the pursuit of a bigger portfolio. In time turn your nose up at anything you didn't grow yourself. You'll look at feedin your kid a Big Mack as child abuse! :D Have fun, and don't ever give up!! A good old pickup truck too, so you can smile at your neighbors when ya go to town! ;D ;D
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

jdunmyer

Get a copy of "Living the Good Life" by Helen & Scott Nearing, it will open your eyes, big time.

If you want cattle for strictly "home use", there's a new miniature breed now becoming popular. They're about 1/3 size of regular cattle, but otherwise about the same. Might even be a good business to get into.

Andy Mack

Guys

Lots of good advise and comments.

Flyboy:   Lots of Folk have Boar goats here "Down under".  But arent they difficult to fence in? 

Btw, rabbits are practically banned in Australia, particularly Queensland. And Asy loves chooks.

Andy

asy

Thanks guys!

Flyboy, neither of my kids has ever eaten a big mac in their lives, my son had McD twice when he was a little kid coz his godfather took him against my instructions, both times my son had gastro so bad it wasn't funny. He's decided he's 'allergic' to McD, and my daughter decided that if he got that sick she wasn't risking it.   Fine by me :D

As Andy said, Goats sounds good, and he would like goats (I think it's just so there's something more stubborn on the farm than he is, but not sure goats will do, may have to get a mule to make up the difference ::) )

Thanks for all the suggestions on firearms, I guess it's gonna depend on where we end up, if we end up on 30 acres in between lots of other acreages, I don't guess we'll need one, but if we end up on 2000 acres surrounded by state forest, there's no way I'll be without several.

I will definately go test drive a few prior to purchase, and see what I'm comfortable with. The reality is it'll be me using it, so I'd best get something I can drive.

I still want a couple of horses, so I'd be obliged if you guys would stop telling Andy what they cost over on that horses thread...  >:(  :D

I can't wait to have a garden. And an orchard. And SPACE!

Flyboy

:) ASY, The joke over here has been for a while that McD's sold ROO meat :D, now I don't know. I aint eatin the S... :-X
I take my goats when there real small and make a little corral for them about 12'X12' right outside their house. Put up three strands of wire hooked to a HOT charger-- Like 13,000 volts, with a 1/200 of a second jolt. After a few times gettin "Bit" on the nose, they learn to respect the wire. Same thing with pigs too. They are both very smart animals and learn quick! ;) As the goats grow, add strands of wire up to about 6'. Don't be drivin nails in any GOOD Trees, neither!They can jump it but most times won't. You can train them to a bell too, Every time you give them a little grain, ring the bell, every time, after a while if they wander off, ring the bell, they will come runnin. This works especially good on pigs. I had some hogs one year that came flyin down off the mountain when they heard my pickup commin. The thing to remember with critters.... Their belly is a lot bigger than their brain. Killin and processin your own meat is no where as hard as the books you buy make it out to be. Cept FOWL (why do you think they call um FOWL) A goat dresses out just like a deer. A pig is easy too, and you don't need bath tubs and and 6 guys either. When you get ready, I'll walk you through it. The hardest part, till your a cold hearted Mountain dude like me, is pullin the trigger :o Don't be namein nothin your gonna eat. Period! :'( It makes it taste funny, specially to youngins. :'(
The tractor, shop around. I don't know what kind of terrain you got, maybe you don't need a 4X4. We had a Ford 5000, gas job with a select-ta-matic trans. We logged with it a good bit and it was one pullin SOB. Ring chains are a lot cheaper than that front X too. Just watch the "wheelies" :'(
Farmstead (I think) and Small Stock Journal is a good rag too. Mother EN is a waste of money, IN MY Opinion, It's for wannabees. I love seein em up here ;D ;D with their LL BEEN coats, and Outback cars.
A transplant called me to take down some big, dead, ash trees for him right behind his "New Sugar House" I said sure, give him a price, then asked Why didn't you cut them BEFORE you spent 15K and built it there?????? :D :D Said he didn't see them :o
No S... :o no bunnies in Aussy land. I spoze they do what bunnies do and they had plenty, huh?
I wouldn't be far from a piece no matter where I lived, Remember this too, there is nothin more useless than an empty gun. Cept maybe horses, Just keep track of them, and away from kids, till you teach em right.  8)
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

asy

Quote from: Flyboy on January 04, 2006, 08:04:51 PM
:) ASY, The joke over here has been for a while that McD's sold ROO meat :D,

HAH!

Roo meat is DELICIOUS!!!

I make a fantastic roo stir fry!

will cook ya some next time you're in Brissie!

Part_Timer

ASY

Sorry these took so long.  Here are a few pictures of the farm.  They are not real good but you can get the idea.

There is around 40 acres there most of it being vertical.  THere is about 4 acres cleared including an orchard.  It used to be a tobacco farm.  We finaly got a quad this year so we can mow back the bush a few acres more.  I think that I might be able to clear 2 extra acres but I'll have to string some fence and turn some goats loose when we move down.  to steep to mow.  The drive way is about a half mile and it is shared between us and the Virginia forest service.  The barn is fairly large.  32x20 by 2 1/2 stories tall.  They didn't do a good job putting it together but we can fix it.  I have a couple of sycamores that I can cut into siding for it.  there is a small spring that runs most of the year.  We're hoping we can find dependable water up there.  If not we have a backup plan  :P

We have a plan in place for the move.  House,barn,workshops and even a forge.  We are going to put a couple of rental cabins up on the back side of the place.  We'll use the rentals if our parents health fails then we can move them in and everyone have their privacy but still be close.  We're adding some peach trees to the orchard.  There is a clear cut on the backside of about 1/2 acer that will get some chestnuts/almonds I hope this spring.  We're even thinking of some bees maybe when the time comes.

Well that's the plan.  Don't know if it will work but hay ya gota have a dream
Peterson 8" ATS.

asy

WOWWEE!!!

THANKS HEAPS!!!

WHat lovely photos! Well worth the wait!

It would take me a week to walk around your farm with my camera, it's gorgeous! I especially love the second last photo, I could really do something with that scene and a camera...   smiley_rainbow_colors

Your barn looks interesting, don't think I"ve ever seen a 2.5 story barn before, especially not on a HILL! :D

Are you farming the land? or is it a 'lifestyle block'?

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

UNCLEBUCK

That is a nice layout P.T. and I also like your thinking about taking care of family as I have kind of the same plans someday ! Pictures are great .   :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Flyboy

;D ASY, I see a deal in the makin ;D You got Roo, I aint never ate none, but would, I got lots of sugar maples, if you get my drift ???  I wonder about matin a Roo with a goat, would that make it a ROOT? ??? Or a Go Roo ???
I'd like to be the first Roo Rancher in Vermont :D :D I got neighbors raisin some strang critters, This is Vermont.... Anything is possible... :(
Flyboy

Part_Timer

Thanks Ya'll we fell in love with the place when we saw it.  We'll see how the plan goes.  I just wish it wasn't 10 hours away.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

jon12345

Part_Timer  and Asy, who are both lookin at moving...'home is where the heart is'  I'm sure you will love bein on a piece of land you can love and grow on, whether it be emotionally or trees   :)
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

DoubleD

Hello asy have you moved to the farm? I think the best thing in life is living on a farm. I hope someday to move on my little land in mountain and start a small sawmill/farm business
Quote from: Flyboy on January 04, 2006, 09:26:55 AM
You aint gonna make money livin off the land, BUT you'll sleep better, have less acid reflux, headaches, high cholesterol, sexual malfunctions, stress, and all the other ailments plaugein the 21st century from livin like rats in cities
Flyboy trues words couldn't be said.
Asy good luck on your move 8)
Wannabe a sawmiller

iain

Man every one is talking guns, water, animals, tractors , and stuff, no body being practical

Asy the "view" from the porch, and the "feel" of the place, should be your main concern,
along with the stream for the kids, the not easy to find drive way, not over looked by neighbors, along with space for wandering pig roasters on the southern leg of the world tour 8) 8)

Iain ( the only really practical member of the forum)

asy

Hey DD, thanks for asking!

Still looking for farmy.  Actually, we're off tomorrow to look at a very promising one. 50 acres. Right in the area we want to be in.

Will report back after we see it.

Iain. There's always room for wandering roastees. The southern leg of a world tour would be incomplete if devoid of my cooking, I'm sure.

Thank You Sponsors!