iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Woodlots

Started by kgrimm, September 02, 2002, 08:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgrimm

I own 20 acres.  About 17 are wooded with various species.  How do I go about finding somebody who would help me improve this small amount acreage?  The MSU agent told me I would have a hard time finding someone who is interested.  Thank You!

Jeff

If The MSU agent meant that you would have a hard time finding someone interested in helping you he was wrong. You found us an you will find thats what these folks are here for.

I would like to welcome you. Tell us a little about yourself, where you are from, more about your woodlot and what your goals are for your property. All of this information will help the members of this forum try to help you help yourself. They may have direct experience in what you are doing, or they may know where to send you for certain information. The folks that make up this forum come from all over. When I say all over, I mean that in several different ways. Geographical, educational, occupational and more.

We look forward to your questions. Pull up a chair and make yerself ta home. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I'd really like to know what is the minimum acreage someone would work on?  17 acres is bigger than some sales in my area.  And quite often it is where the better timber is growing.

Those woodlots of 50+ acres have been hounded to death by timber buyers and consultants.  Some of these stands have been totally gutted and will not be harvested for several decades..

I once bought a truckload of ash that was laying, due to a storm.  It was easy pickings.  I've seen a large mill working on a 1 acre homesite because they were in the area.

Your management options on 17 acres is limited, but it isn't impossible.  If you are planning to do the work yourself, pay a forester to go in and mark for timber stand improvement.  Weed out the firewood and save your crop trees for when they mature.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tillaway

We did a 15 acre harvest plan this year.  The cost for our sevices was about $15,000. :o ::)  The owner is a logger and wanted to do a hardwood conversion.  The state put us through the wringer on this because the ground met minimum stocking requirements according to the Forest Practice Rules.  The stocking was all on about three acres, but you can't see this from the office desk. ::).... Also the state bureacrats that pass themselves off as foresters lost some of the correspondence.  They are waiting for our reply to the second review... a second review was not needed according to the letter sent to us months ago. errrrrgggg. rant rant

These small tracts can be managed and are worth the time, but this depends your state rules.  Small tracts <40 acres are usually not worth bothering with in California, but a couple of trees in your back yard in Oregon or Washington can be in a good market.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Jeff

Woooaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!  Tillaway!  Your going to scare this guy to death!  I read the 15,000 dollars in the first line and was ready to start running myself :D  

Kgrimm, Tillaway is definitly in Kalifornia. Thats a different country and most of thier rules don't apply to us at all (Unless you are in California, and I guess yer not unless MSU is Mouseketeer State University.) 8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

We need to know where your timber is located and what species and sizes and what your management objectives are.

I've made selective cuts on 8 acres, 10 acres, 15, acres, 17, 22 acres acres etc. I've just sold the timber on a 10.8 acre parcel and just finished marking a 15 acre parcel.

It depends upon what you have and the commercial values.
~Ron

craigc90

I have had good experience by joining the american tree farm system. In Ohio there was a state forester who walked my land with me and set up a free management plan. I am a hands on person and have had fun removing the culls and grapevines. Its my therapy when im not working on cars.If you are just looking for a timber sale I think you could get a consulting forester interested but for advice on improving the stand you should try a state forester or the tree farm system.
   Here is a link http://www.treefarmsystem.org/

Saki

Howdy and welcome to the forum. All the folks up above have made good points about your stand, and things you need to consider. I have walked the woods for many people ( mostly friends or family ) to help them get an idea of what they want, and how best to achieve it, It really comes down to that.

What are YOUR goals for your property? Harvest, firewood, homesite? Something else? All the above? Forestry is a wonderful blend of science, art, hard work and reward. It is also an area where your actions can have lasting effects, and this too can be good or bad. That said, most all the landowners I know enjoy getting out and doing things on their property. There are many forestry related jobs that can be easily and enjoyably accomlished by the forestry version of a weekend warrior. Seek guidance here, and with your local forester or county agent there. I know that ours had some excellent basic how-to pamphlets that cover a variety of subjects. Best to you, and welcome. Saki

kgrimm

Thanks for the many responses!!  I live in Roscommon Mi.  I want to improve for wildlife.  I have a mixture of everything. but not much  of any one species.  I have mature popple,  some red maple, some sugar maple some oak,a stand of white pine mixed with jackpine about 400'x 150 appx.  that needs thinning real bad.  Again I don't have much of each of these species.  I'm not looking to make a godzillion bucks on this.  I want to have good hunting and take care of my resource.  I was told by my agent what tree types to cut, but it was cut them and leave them lay because I would be hard pressed to have anybody buy them.  I thought of this as wasteful, and have a hard time doing something like that.  Thank you for any ideas

Ron Scott

It sounds like you may not have a good situation for a commercial sale as such at this time, but need to get the timber under some management to meet your wildlife objectives.

This might require some clearcutting and site conversion to enhance future timber and wildlife values. I agree that any wood of commercial size should be utilized if at all possible. A chipping operation might be encouraged.

I suggest that you contact a professional Consulting Forester for another site review and opinion. It might be worth while and some $$$ well spent.
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

Could that be the problem?  He said he went to the MSU agent, which I assume to be the county agent.  Maybe they need to be informed.  Did they every walk the property?

kgrimm

Hello!  Yes the guy walked it and wrote up a management program..  But he sounded like nobody would be interested in the kinda work that needs to be done.  He was very hesitant to point me to anyone, which I can understand.  So I guess my question boils down to how do I find someone who is reputable since I all ready have a program drawn up?  Thanks for bearing with me.  I get a little thick at times.

Bro. Noble

kgrimm,

Seems like there was a new forum member recently that was looking for logs in Michigan.  

It is often mentioned it the forums that you can contact WoodMizer and other manufacturers for a list of mills in your area that do coustom sawing.  These same people might be interested in buying your trees and possibly even cutting the trees.

I assume the Extension agent also told you about programs that might exist through USDA that pay you for doing Timber Stand Improvement.  This program is designed for situations where TSI work needs to be done but will not pay comercially which my be your situation. Your State Conservation Commision probably has programs that provide plants for wildlife and seed for food plots.

There are government resources available that you have already paid for with your taxes.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

L. Wakefield

Hey kgrimm, that's what is nudjhing me in the direction of a sawmill- 'small woodlots-r-us'- no one wants part loads or pick n choose. Here in Maine we do have the SWOAM- small woodland owner's alliance of Maine. i haven't gotten too involved with them yet beyond joining and reading the newsletter- but if anyone can help, it would be a group of like-sized persons to network with because they will have faced the same problem and you may not hacve to re-invent the wheel. Sometimes the guys doing advising and planning are just in that end of it and lose track of outcomes- even successful ones. Trees are valuable. I am sure there is a way you can do something other than 'let them lay'.

I also admit I'm still low on the learning curve of relative value- some of the trees your planner was talking about might not be good sawtimber. I once did a HUGE pile of wood that I naively thought would make good firewood... hadn't done that much splitting back then. it's a gnarly buncha stuff that no one wanted to touch. It's still sitting and a-moldering away. Of course, if the Longwood furnace had worked like it should, I coulda burned em as is. Coulda woulda shoulda.  :(  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Ron Wenrich

Wouldn't it be great if your landowner assn. owned its own mill?  Then it could rent the mill out to members at a reduced rate or cut it up for you.  That is where the power of a landowner organization is at.

Frank_Pender

Ron, I really like your idea.  It could sure help in cutting down on my work load.  In all seriousness I think that it could really work out for many people.   Scheduling might take some creative thinking on some peoples part, however. :'(
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

Then they could pay a fee for having their logs sawn. ;D
Frank Pender

L. Wakefield

I have an unconfirmed notion that probably several members (of SWOAM) DO have mills of one sort or another- I'd be surprised if they do not. I would not be surprised if networking would be an advantage. I just haven't gotten there yet. Too busy with today's chaos. But soon..  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Frank_Pender

LW, it is some of these same types of frustrations you are speaking of that drove me to get into milling my own lumber as well as thatfor others.  I began by acquiring all of the necessary materials to build my own mill, after three years of trying to find a mill to purchase.  I then, came across the Mobile Dimension Mill.  I have since discarded all but the original motor for building my own mill.   The remainder is history. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

hosslog

Hi I'm new here but I have to ask Kgrimm, Have you looked for horse loggers in your area? :)

kgrimm

Yes I have thought about horses.  It seems they are few and far between around here.  I do like the idea.  But again I think I'll have a tough sell.  The chipper suggestion may be the best route.  I can't see how a horse logger could turn a profit on just some over mature popple.  But maybe I'm wrong and that's why I like all the input I've gotten so far.  Thank You.

HORSELOGGER

Well,  now I know why my horses ears were ringing ;D The problem you have is not uncommon here in Illinois. Some times I have logged by the hour on a TSI cut, simply because the logs were not valuable enough for me to buy. I  tell the land owner up front that it probably wont cash flow, but it is a first move toward turning the timber quality around. Some folks dont understand that concept and still think I should pay them to weed their garden ??? Others just want to clean up and make some walking paths, which horselogging is excellent for. You might think about paying an hourly or set fee for the TSI work, market the logs as best as possible and just look at it as an investment.  My 2shekels....
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

hosslog

My thought was to give what ever logs there are to a horse logger in exchange for getting the rest of the work done. We can afford to work this way easier than a guy with a skidder payment. :D

HORSELOGGER

Thats true, but they wont take popple logs in exchange for a box of captain crunch at the super valu :D I try not to take or buy logs that I dont have a home in mind for, either sawn or made into flooring or something. Cash flow is still king, even on the dinky scale I operate on. I just took two belgian geldings from a guy that owed me 3800 bucks for flooring and drying work I did for him. Its awful tough to shove one of them in an envelope at motgage payment time >:(   Whats your background and operation Hoss?
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

hosslog

I skid for a mill, Most of what I do is timber stand improvement, occasional log job.
The mill owner built his business with horses ,doing tsi work. Right now he has 4 teams woking plus 3 guys with skidders.
I've been logging with my horses for about 10 years now,just enjoy the peace and quiet. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!