iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moultrie Ag Show

Started by FC_PineKnot, October 13, 2005, 01:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FC_PineKnot

Hello Forum Members!

My friend and I are considering the purchase of a portable sawmill.  We've done some research, talked to a couple of manufacturers and people who already own a mill.  I've been browsing the Forestry Forum as a guest for a couple of weeks now and found a goldmine of information!  I finally decided to join and become an active member.

Many questions have been answered by reading your posts, and some things I hadn't thought of before were brought to light.  So thanks to all for making this forum so accessible to anyone interested enough to search it out.

I have a few questions about the Ag Expo in Moultrie next week.  Since we hope to make our purchase soon, I was wondering if it's worth the trip (about a 10 hr drive) to go see as many different mills as possible in this one place at the same time?  And, of course, being able to talk to a pot load of other owners, maybe?

We've narrowed our choice down to about 3 manufacturers – 2 bandsaws and a swing blade.  Of course, we could change our mind if we found a better deal or a better bargain for the money.   

Is there usually a good representation by the manufacturers at this show?
Will we be able to see all the mills in operation, even on the last day of the show (Thursday)?
Do the manufacturers ever offer any special deals for purchases made at the shows?
Do they object to cameras or camcorders?
Will there be a place to meet other forum members at the show?

I know this is a long first post – but I'm working a midnight shift at my regular job and I'm trying to remember all the things I wanted to ask!  I would certainly appreciate your opinions and input.

Thanks!

Tom

Welcome to the forum, FC_Pineknot.

You'll find that there is nothing wrong with long posts here.   It's the copy and paste of non-original material that isn't looked upon too friendly. :D

Moultrie.  Oh yes, it worth the trip.  I know 10 hours is a long trip and gets to be expensive as well.  But, Moultrie is just around the corner, time-wise, and how long would you have to wait to go to a huge show in your backyard?

These shows are what you make of them.  I've gotten a lot of info from even a small show.  I've met good people and seen equipment that I didn't know existed.  Moultrie is special to me though.  It is a huge show.  Not as big as it used to be but big enough that one day isn't always enough time to enjoy everything.

There will be representatives of many sawmills there, as in at least a dozen, and they will all be sawing logs, answering questions, and passing out reading material.  Some of the smaller ones even let prospective buyers saw a board or two. 

There will be logging equipment and sawmill support equipment.  Forwarders, loaders, skidders, cant hooks, axes, chainsaws will abound.

That's just in the Forestry end of the show and it takes up about 5 or 6 acres, just a small portion of the fair grounds.

There will be tents in other areas with exhibits from Universities like The University of Georgia and Auburn and Alabama and Abraham Baldwin showing off their forestry or agricultural schools.  You can see the latest in Pine seedlings or read about the raising of fish in a farm pond.   ABAC will even have their Jazz band one day and the band and Jazz choir the next.

Dodge, Ford, GMC and other surprise exhibitors will be showing off trucks.  You will see tractor exhibits showing equipment from countries that you may not even know exist.

If you are so inclined, you can take the tractor-trains to the fields and watch harvesting and field preparation equipment work on live crops.

There is an outdoor arena where you can watch dogs herd sheep, horses cut cows and sometimes see loaded wagons with 6 or 8 Belgian  horses pulling them.

There is an antique tractor exhibit where you can touch the tractors and talk with the owners.  There are antique tractor parades every day.

There are huge buildings full of tools, clothes, shoes and boots, tractor parts, sprinkling systems, planting systems, tires of all sizes and even the "as seen on TV" hawkers trying to sell their knives and food choppers.

There is an Amish restaurant where you can get more than you want to eat for lunch for about 10 bucks.

You can buy some of the best sweet potatoes ever taken out of the ground and peanuts too.

If you want to camp, there will probably be room for a tent right up until opening day, though sites with hookups will probably be gone.  Motels in Moultrie will be full, but towns in a 30 mile circle around the Fair will have rooms.  I-95 has motels at most every exit within driving distance of the fair.

Yes, Forum members will be there and having a grand old time.  It will be as big of a party as you make of it.  Don't expect alcohol and bawdy houses.  It isn't that kind of atmosphere.  It's in the middle of the week for a purpose.  You will find mostly adults there.

This is all for a $5.00 entry ticket and free parking.

If you can arrange the trip, you will enjoy it.  :)

Bibbyman

Welcome to the board FC.

About everybody will be at the larger shows like Moultrie.

Have you checked out the "Shows, Events and Places to meet" section of the Forum yet?  Here is a link to that section.

Shows, Events and Places to meet

To check out who's going this year and their comments,  here is a link to threads  already made on Moultrie.

Moultrie Expo 2005.......slipping up fast!

Moultrie Ga. 2005 Sunbelt Ag. Show

Be on the lookout for people that look like this... :D

Bigdogpc, his dad, Fla. Deadheader, Tom, Jwood, Dang

Here are links to threads on the show in 2003 and 04 with lots of feedback and pictures.

Sunbelt Ag Exposition Moultrie, Ga. 2004

Sunbelt Expo 2003  Moultrie, Ga.

As for deals,  Wood-Mizer has set up free mill delivery and training in Perkinston, Mississippi (south of Hattiesburg area).  Check out their web site for details.

Wood-Mizer Hurricane Katrina

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DonE911

For what its Worth....

I've never been to any show.   I'm going this year and looking forward to it.

Come on over....  it's only 10 hours....  you'll be awake anyway, so why not be driving ;D

chet

Be on the lookout for people that look like this... :D

Bigdogpc, his dad, Fla. Deadheader, Tom, Jwood, Dang

Bibby,
Showin' PineKnot dat picture might just scare him off.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

beenthere

Chet, I could agree. Looks like a reunion of a past NFL front defensive line.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ga_Boy

Welcome to the forum Pineknot.

I would say that being able to see so many diffrent products on display and running in one location is reason enough to make the drive.  When you think about how many FF members you can meet in one locaiton; well it is a no brainer, the trip is worth the drive.

Come on down to the show and stop by the Peterson tent and say hello.

If you like, you can test drive a Peterson WPF to see how you like it.  There will be a bunch of Pine logs there try out.

Mark

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Corley5

It's always nice to be able to see and compare the machines you're interested in.  I waited til I could compare firewood processors up close and in person and see them operating at the Lake States Logging Congress before I made my final decision and am glad I did
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

FC_PineKnot

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome here on the forum.

Tom - I didn't need much coaxing, but you sure had a plate full of reasons to make this trip!  I appreciate the effort you put into convincing me!

Mark - you can bet I'll visit the Peterson tent if I make it to the show.  Rex Gotz sent me info by email and mentioned that you'd be there.  Look forward to meeting you.

Bibbyman - Is that photo retouched?  I think I saw some of those characters in a late night sci-fi movie...... naw, just kidding!  I hope to meet you all soon!

So, I'm convinced the trip will be worth the effort and expense.  Now I just have to wait till the weekend to find out if I'll be off the "Extended Working Hours"  ::) (Mandantory Overtime!)  ::) at my regular job before the Ag show ends!

If everything works out, I'll see ya'll then!

DonE911

8) 8) 8) 8)

We knew you really wanted to go....  just needed a push in the right direction.

I remember that Mandatory Overtime.  The money was nice, but it didn't make up for the things I missed while I was at work.   I hope you can make it.

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: FC_PineKnot on October 14, 2005, 04:29:20 AM
Bibbyman - Is that photo retouched?  I think I saw some of those characters in a late night sci-fi movie......

Have you ever seen a crime movie where they show a line-up of suspects...........

;D :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

DanG

I was a part of that group, and I'll have you know we didn't suspect anything!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Captain

So DanG, were you haulin' logs TODAY??

Got any pictures of my work assignment for Tuesday?? ;D

Captain

thiggy

Where, specifically is the Ag Expo in Moultrie?  My wife said we ought to attend.
Sow your wild oats on Saturday night.  Sunday morning pray for crop failure!

Tom

http://www.sunbeltexpo.com/

Directions from Albany on HWY 82

Take Hwy 82 onto Hwy 133 straight to Moultrie. The road will be two-lane until you enter Moultrie. This road turns into the 319-Bypass. Continue through 2 traffic lights and turn left onto Hwy 133. Go approximately 3 miles and Sunbelt Expo (Spence Field) will be on the left.

Directions from I-75 heading South

I-75 South down to Macon. Take I-475 bypass around Macon and this will soon run back into I-75. Go to Tifton, Exit 62. Turn right onto Hwy 319 going south to Moultrie. Once you get into the Moultrie city limits, you will come to the first traffic light (Chevron station on left, Best Western-Expo Inn on left). Turn left at traffic light onto 319 South Bypass. Continue to the second traffic light (BP station across the street on left, Hardees on right) and turn left onto Hwy 133. Go approximately 3 miles and Sunbelt Expo (Spence Field) will be on the left.

Directions from I-75 heading North

I-75 North to Exit 18 in Valdosta. Turn left at the light and cross over the interstate. This road (Hwy 133) will carry you straight into Moultrie (approximately 35 miles). Once you are inside the city limits, the road becomes a four-lane and the entrance (Gate 1) will be on your immediate right.

Ga_Boy

Quote from: Minnesota_boy on October 14, 2005, 08:52:33 PM
Quote from: FC_PineKnot on October 14, 2005, 04:29:20 AM
Bibbyman - Is that photo retouched?  I think I saw some of those characters in a late night sci-fi movie......

Have you ever seen a crime movie where they show a line-up of suspects...........

;D :D :D

Minesota Boy,

I've seen that movie; it's called "The Usual Suspects"  8) 8) 8) 8)

Great movie, these jockers in this photo do look like a bunch of usual suspects.  ;D  If they did not do what they are suspected of; well it does not matter, they did something else and they just ain't been caught yet.   ;) :D :D :D

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

DanG

Cap'n, I did indeed haul some logs today.  They are stacked on the left rear corner of your space.  I took pictures, but I ain't gonna post'em here.  Soon as I get a bite to eat, I'll get a couple of shots ready and start a new thread in the "Events" board. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thiggy

Thanks for the directions, Tom.
Sow your wild oats on Saturday night.  Sunday morning pray for crop failure!

woodbowl

I hope this is not too late..............I'll be hitting the road early tue morning because I am only three hours away from Moultrie. Some of you will pull out tomorrow while others are already on the road. I hope all you music makers  don't forget to pack your guitars and other type twang boxes. I'm partial to bluegrass so I'll be bringing my banjo and guitar. Sitting around the campground after the show playing music is mighty hard to beat. So, who all wants to do some pickin' and grinnin'?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Fla._Deadheader

Y'all are KILLIN me here.  >:( >:(  I'm sittin here, temps in the 70's-80's. Occasional rain showers. Good food. Watchin all the pretty girls go by. No worries.

Y'all are makin a BIG party outta the Ag Show, WITH pickin & Grinnin.  ::) ::)

Good thing I got my Grits handy to keep me from bein homesick.  ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Teri

Does this mean you are staying down there longer?  ??? :D

Fla._Deadheader

You tryin to get rid of me  :( :( :( :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;