iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Growth - New Growth

Started by Ianab, October 11, 2005, 05:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Another glued up serving board...

One is Port Orford cedar and the other I think is redwood. I'm guessing the redwood is old growth imported stuff as the growth rings are so close together, like 30 or 40 rings per inch. Compare that to the local Port Orford thats got 2 or 3 rings per inch :o

The redwood came from an old door frame that had been stashed under my house by a previous owner and the Port Orford is offcuts from local stuff I've milled.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Nick B SW Ont Canada

Very nice work.  Nature is an amazing thing ain't it.

Tom

It's tight grain like you have in the redwood that people are looking for in the old, reclaimed SYP down here.  You can look at a little piece such as you have cut and imagine your entire life-time.

Gilman

Thanks Ian,
I love how that old growth cuts in a table saw.  Closest you can get to cutting butter.  I think salvaged lumber can be the most rewarding to work with.  Knowing it could of become firewood/landfill much easier, but now will be around for many more years.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

CHARLIE

When I used to live in Stewartville, Minnesota our house had been built in 1947. It had a screen porch made from redwood.  In 1994 I tore it all out and enclosed the porch but I kept the redwood 'cause it was close grain and clear.  I've yet to use it and have been carrying it around with me ever since. It's been moved to Eyota, Dover and now sits in my New Richmond, Wisconsin shop. Someday I'll make something special from it. :)

Ianab, that made a nice looking serving board.  Did you use a waterproof glue like Titebond III?
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ianab

QuoteDid you use a waterproof glue like Titebond III?

yup.. I use polyurethane 'Gorilla' glue. Seems to work good in this application. It's not just waterproof, as far as I'm aware there is NO solvent for it, I think thats why a lot of guys dont like it. If you get it on ya hands they are stained till the top layer of skin wears off  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!