iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to sawing and forums

Started by Don K, October 10, 2005, 11:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

I couldn't stand it any longer. Had to join this forum. I've been reading about three weeks and I am impressed with the character of the members. I've always loved the smell of pine resin and fresh dirt as my grandaddy had his own logging outfit and I loved to tag along. In June I purchased a new WM LT 15 and have sawed about 2000 bft of SYP and some poplar. All I want to do is saw, but my main job comes first. Well, maybe one day.

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Ernie

Don K

Glad to have you ;D ;D

What is the regular job? and what's irregular about sawing :D :D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

ronwood

Don K

Welcome to the forum. Hope you will finded it informative.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Paul_H

Don K,

Welcome,if you've been reading posts here you'll know we like pictures cause a few of us can't read or write and we find the pictures helpfull.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Brad_S.

Welcome to the forum. 8)

Be careful of what you wish for!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Radar67

Welcome aboard Don, I know you will find the forum a useful tool and a good way to meet new friends. I have!  ;D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Sprucegum

Welcome to the forum!

I keep telling myself I'm not a sawyer but somewhere along the way I built a little chainsawmill...and I'm doin' some slabin'....and I need a bigger saw.... ::)

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Don K.

.......Don K   .......Donk ...... donkey .......  uh oh!  :-\

Don K

First of all I don't how to drive this rig very well, but look forward to getting up to speed, just bear with me. About me, I live in SW Alabama and my regular job is a shift foreman at a chemical plant. That is why I'm up at this time of the morning. The only thing irregular about sawing is I don't get to do enough. I've been wanting a mill for about six years. The only thing is, there are about eight of them in a two county radius. As for as pictures, maybe later once I get the means to do it. Sorry about that. I would love to post some.
  Sprucegum-- I find myself wishing to upgrade now. I would love to work for myself.  Tom-- Funny, when I first said my name as I was loggin on I came up with the same thing. Oh yea enjoyed your website. You are very lucky in my opinion 
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Tom

Thankyou, Don. 

You're right, I've been one lucky fellow.

You have a headstart on a lot of folks.  You really want to saw.   I've seen many get a mill and get so wrapped up in the technology and the machine that they forget to put a log on the mill.

Keep your blade in the wood and "nice" your customers to death and you'll do fine. :P :)

Bibbyman

Welcome Don K!   smiley_horserider

When I read "Don K" I thought of the movie Shrek and how the Shrek character would pronounce donkey.  (With two girls in the house ages 6 & 8,  we've seen Shrek and Shrek II a couple hundred times.) :)

I don't need to tell you that you'll enjoy the LT15.  I wish we had one to do some of the "one of" jobs we get around the mill.

P.S.  How did you find the Forum?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Don K

Good morning Bibbyman,
  Actually I found it through the woodmizer site reading an article about your sawmill. I was looking for anything to read about sawing wood. This forum is great. The LT 15 cuts some really nice boards. My new chickens really enjoy their new board and batten henhouse. Got all the lumber sawed for a 12 x 16 shop and poplar for paneling and soon to start 14? x 20 sawshed.

Ianab

Hi Don
Welcome to the forum  :)

You have the right idea.. if you want to learn sawing.. get a mill and just do it.
As you have found there is plenty to learn, but it's something you can pick up as you go, so long as you take it easy and pick up one step at a time.

Next you need to find some more interesting logs to saw  ;) I dont know what grows in your area, but here pine is 90% of the trees harvested and basically we like to find different stuff.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

brdmkr

Don

Welcome to the forum.  I know how you feel.  I don't get to saw nearly enough, but that should change in a couple weeks (at least I'll be able to saw evenings and weekends).

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Captain

and I was thinking of the big guy in Crocodile Dundee...

Welcome Don K!!

Captain

Jeff

Welcome Don k

this here would make a pretty good user pic.  ;)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

Welcome, Don.

WARNING - WARNING

Sawdust is addictive.
The Forestry Forum is addictive.
Your life will never be the same  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

thedeeredude

Welcome DonK, you found the right forum if ypu want to learn and have a hoot of fun. 8)

thiggy

Don K, I am new to this sawing addiction activity and have just ordered an LT 15 to saw up a bunch of large old pecan that was taken down by Katrina.  I am having second thoughts about it, however, considering the size of the logs.  Some are 30" in diameter, which exceeds the capacity of the mill.  What lengths are you cutting and how do you handle the logs (to get them up to the mill?
Sow your wild oats on Saturday night.  Sunday morning pray for crop failure!

Kirk_Allen

Welcome aboard Don K!  If you think this site is great after 3 weeks of lurking just stick around for another year or two.  Glad to have you aboard!  

Part_Timer

Welcome to the forum Don.

Thiggy  Don't worry about putting a 30" on that LT  I've had 35" on mine .  It is just a lot of work.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Rockn H

Thiggy, you can use a chainsaw to quarter those logs that are to big so you can fit them on the mill.  It's just a little more work, but often worth the effort.
Here's some pics of Arkansawyer and Urbanlogger splitting an oak.

Rockn H

Don K and Thiggy, I almost forgot. WELCOME

maple flats

Where there's a will there's a way, Welcome aboard. Great place and you'll never get enough cutting done cause you're on the DanG putter all the time.  Any questions will gladly be answered by many who will give you several approaches to any question.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Don K

Hello to everyone that replied today while I wuz asnoozin the day away. These 12 hr midnight shifts are rough on a person sometimes.   In answer to your question Thiggy, the largest log i have sawed was a 23" x 16' SYP. I bought a extra section of bed for my mill. I load with a 48" logrite cant hook or my daddy's tractor when I can sneak it away. Speaking of tractors, I recently read a thread on the Ag Expo in Moultrie and I'm going to try to go a couple of days next week and look at some tractors. I was curious because I'm going to try to tent camp overnight and I remember reading something about it. I've tried to find it but I can't remember where it was. Can anyone help?
        Don

Thank You Sponsors!