iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanksgiving Day in Canada

Started by DouginUtah, October 10, 2005, 12:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

"The second Monday of October, celebrated in Canada by the giving of thanks to God for harvest and health."

Also celebrated by many by eating a lot of turkey, turnips (rutabagas or Swedish turnip), parsnips, apple pie and cheese, etc.  No grits.  :D

To all the Canadian forum members, "Happy Thanksgiving."

-Doug

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Paul_H

We had friends/neighbours over for Turkey dinner last night and now are getting set to have hot toasted Turkey sandwiches smothered in gravy.

And to God,we are truly thankfull.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawguy21

Thanks Doug
Did a number on a turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie yesterday (groan) ;D  We really do have a lot to be thankful for. The farmers are going hard combining and the weather is co-operating. Should be a very good harvest his year.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

moosehunter

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

SwampDonkey

Also, had the turkey and fixin's yesterday at dad's.

smiley_turkey_dancing
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

Just cooking a wild turkey for dinner, having a pumpkin pie or six (love pumkin pie) and CUTTING a whole WHACK of firewood.  Great way to spend Thanksgiving weekend.  It's my busiest season of the year---FIREWOOD.  I have had enough with firewood already and the season is just beginning.  Already dreaming about firewood at night-- Just can't get away from it. :( >:(
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Oh well, gotta keep everyone warm up...over there Coon. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

No, moosehunter, definately no grits :D

Kevin

Thanks Doug!
The day is also celebrated by cleaning saws and sharpening chains.  ;D

Brucer

Thank's Doug.

Turkey's too big for just the two of us, so it was a range-fed chicken that we buy from your friend, Nancy. Stuffing from Barb's home-made bread. Potatoes, parsnips, and carrots harvested from our garden this afternoon. Fresh apple crisp for dessert (for those of us that weren't already stuffed ;D).

Had to sharpen the chainsaw twice today, but that's another story.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Nick B SW Ont Canada

Twas an awesome day.  I spent the morning working on some trails in the bush.  My brother showed up around two and we went tromping through the bush.  It was the first time he came out to see my little 100 acres (feeling real small since our discussion of that little spread in Auz).  We saw all kinds of very fresh deer tracks but because of our yappin and crunchin they stayed ahead of us.  Which is why we were really surprised to see a nice little flock of turkeys.  I've known there are lots of them in there but they are a pretty skittish bunch so I figrured I wouldn't see them till I did some nice quiet sittin (read rye&ginger   smiley_alcoholic_01 the Canadians will know of what I speak)

So after a glorious day out in the bush (any day in the bush is great) we went home to a grand meal the centre of which was a Dutch specialty we call rolada.  Which is beef and pork tenderloan layered up with pepper based spices liberally rubbed into each layer.  The mass is tightly tied.  Slow cooked or rotisier roasted.  It then gets cooled and sliced very thinly and reheated when served. smiley_chef_hat ummmm!!

OneWithWood

Oh, man.  Rye whyskey and good food. 

Note to self: go visit the Canadian relatives more often.  eh?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Sprucegum

Up here, Grits is what we call our Liberal politicians.

If I did cook one I wouldn't eat it :P

All three Kids came home, Ma put on a spread like we hadn't eaten since the 90's 8) 8) 8)

leweee

Thanks Doug

Quote from: Sprucegum on October 11, 2005, 01:10:38 PM

For nine years we been tryen to spit out them Grits(Liberals)but thats another story. ::)

Had a Great Turkey day(as the niece calls it) Turkey & all the fixens...Lots to be Thankful of. :) smiley_turkey_dancing   smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_turkey_dancing
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

sawguy21

Quote from: Sprucegum on October 11, 2005, 01:10:38 PM

All three Kids came home, Ma put on a spread like we hadn't eaten since the 90's 8) 8) 8)
DanG  got real perturbed when I threw that one out on another thread.  :D :D :D :D

Murf

Just when I thought I had seen every variation of left-over turkey known to man my good wife surprised me, again.  :D

Between visiting and such we had 3 full on spreads of turkey, including an 22 pounder at our house. Even with a house full of hungry relatives eating free food there's plenty enough leftovers for us two.

When I got home last night the unmistakable aroma of sweet curry met me at the door. My wife is South African and makes a mean curry at the best of times.

Last night she made turkey curry, man was it good.  smiley_clapping

Of course a couple of Crown Royal & ginger ales before, during & after didn't hurt any either.  8)

God I love that woman!
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Ernie

There you go again Murf with that Crown Royal and Ginger .  What a great Idea smiley_idea smiley_idea smiley_idea
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Murf

QuoteWhat a great Idea  smiley_idea smiley_idea smiley_idea

I've only found a few occasions over the years where a Crown & Ginger wasn't a good idea.  ::)

But I promised the Pastor I wouldn't bring one with me to the service anymore, so the list got cut in half.   :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Ernie

Thats very good, everything in moderation :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Nick B SW Ont Canada

Crown Royal just an what it used to be when I was a kid :(

It used to be rye and now it's corn :-X

So I have switch to any of two or three Alberta whiskeys which are still pure rye and delicious  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!