Cell phones numbers and telemarketers

Started by Jim_Rogers, October 10, 2005, 11:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

To all:
I just got this from a friend:

JUST A REMINDER.. in a few short weeks, cell phone
        numbers are being released to telemarketing companies
        and you will start to receive sale calls.
  YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS...

To prevent this, call the following number from your
       cell phone: 888/382-1222.

It is the National DO NOT CALL list.
       It will only take a minute of your time. It
       blocks your number for five (5) years.!   

PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS       or www.donotcall.gov

I just registered my cell phone with them via Internet. It will take 31 days to be active on the list. You may want to register soon.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Gilman

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

SwampDonkey

I guess I'm going to use mine for out going calls only. We don't have a national registry to block calls.  >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawdust

Morning swampdonkey, and happy thanks giving!
We do sort of have a "get my number off your list"  When I find it again I will post it. Has to be done over the internet. Seems to work well for land lines. I had not thought to use it for my cell, I have not had a marketer call it yet. Some marketers use a computer generated dial list that just starts dialing down a sequence of numbers. The call removal service does not seem to work for those calls or the ones which originate in India.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

SwampDonkey

Thanks sawdust, it's a great Thanks Giving, other than the fact it's been raining all day.

I can always tell when telemarketors are calling because of that initial pause when you pick up. I immediately pull to connection from the wall for a few minutes, giving the caller the idea I have a faulty line. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

florida

Read this before you panic. This one has floated around the internet for years now.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Jim_Rogers

Apparently this warning could not be totally true.......

I registered my cell anyway..........

Check it out for yourself and make your own decision......

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

pappy

we listed our home # at the gov. "Do Not Call List" sometime last year and it worked   8)  the fax # is another issue  >:(
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Engineer

I have a somewhat nasty message on my cell phone voice mail that says the phone is only for emergencies and the best way to get ahold of me is by calling my office.   I also have caller ID, so if I don't recognize the number, I won't answer it at all.   Some people are just stupid though, and they find out soon enough.  I had one guy call me while I was sitting in my office, the cell phone rang and I picked up.  First words out of my mouth were "did you call the office and leave a message?"  "yes" he said.  Well I've been sitting here all day long and the phone rang twice and neither one was you.  And I hung up on him.  Five minutes later he called back and apologized, on the office line.   I don't have a cell phone for the convenience of anybody but me and my immediate family.

Rockn H

I have heard the rumor and after checking, I believe it is just that, a rumor.  However, I did not realize it was illegal for telemarketers to use autodialing.  My cell phone, and others that I know, uses a local land line prefix, and lately we have been getting two or three solicitors a week calling.  The don't say our names.  They just go into selling spill that I personally interupt with a few choice words including, but not limited to.  This is a cell phone do not call it again.  Before I politely hang up on them. ;)  I have had this number for 4 years now and this has just started within the last two months. >:(

sawdust

SwampDonkey i found it! A miracle in itself. I do not have a filing system I have a piling system.

http://www.the-cma.org/  This is the Canadian Marketing Association they have a link that allows you to remove yourself from mailing lists.  I have another couple numbers but they only work for Telus customers.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

iain

If my phone displays a number i'll answear it, if it says number withheld or number unavailable i wont

if some one wants me they will leave a message

iain

maple flats

This can also be done on line at  www.donotcall.gov    but you are limited to 3 cell numbers to restrict in case you have several in the family however just go back on a second time and do it again for another 3 if needed. I did it about 2-3 weeks ago, took all of 2 minutes to block 4 numbers. This is for USA only, don't know about others and what they can do.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

CHARLIE

I really get irritated when someone infringes on my time and my privacy by calling me to sell something or ask for money.  I will not buy anything from telephone solicitations. Many times I'll just set the phone down without hanging it up. I've heard that they can't disconnect and are stuck with an open line for awhile.  I also can't stand pop-ups or spam on the computer and would never patronize any business that barges in on my computer.

I registered Donna's and my cell phone on the www.donotcall.gov site. It didn't take me but a couple of minutes and if it works I'll be thankful. If it doesn't, I haven't lost anything.

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Frickman

Thanks for the heads up Jim. I registered my phone number also.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Tom

I like messing with their minds too.  I like to let them start their spiel and then lay the phone down.  When I return, later, their gone.  :D

One lady told me to use their siding and I would never have to paint may house again.

I said "What?  I would never be able to paint my house again?"

She was a sharp one though.  After a long silence, she said, "Well, I guess you could paint the siding."

We both laughed and I hung up.  I think she recognized her intrusion.

I've found that just hanging up is better than wasting any time with them.  I know these people are trying to make a living but so is a thief.

junkyard

I like to ask them if they are on a cell phone, because I can't hear them. When they say no they are on a land line. Then I tell them to hang up and call back. Then go through the same rigamaroll. Some times they will call back three or four times before they catch on. My wife thinks I am mean.
                      Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

SwampDonkey

I wait for that initial pause before they answer your hellow. If that happened or if they start there long spiel I pull the cord from the wall socket for 15 minutes. Makes them think I have a bad line. ;D

Timburr

I used to find them annoying just like you folks, but turned it around. They are wasting our time, so we might as well use that wasted time to our advantage and have a chuckle. Once I'm convinced it's a telemarketer I.....

Read a passage from a book in a mono-tonous voice.....it's not long before they put the phone down. ::)

I've developed my own fast-talking marketing speil to throw back at 'em....their response is very funny indeed ;D ;D ;D

Rant on at them in broken Welsh....and wait for them to try and answer back. :D ;D :o

Whatever, for the mood at the time. If others are in the room, the whole room explodes with laughter ;D

Tim

Sense is not common

Jodi

:D I'm gonna have to start using some of these new telemarketer repelling tactics. Allthis time i've been using the traditional "sorry, they're not here right now..." lines. I like Tom's idea about just putting the phone down  8)

sprucebunny

This morning I got a recorded type telemarketer on my cell phone..... you know... the guy who "is just going to go ahead and leave you a message " ::)

When this topic came up, I registered 2 numbers that wern't registered; one of them the cell phone. Is it coincidence ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!