iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Season ending frosts

Started by farmerdoug, October 09, 2005, 08:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerdoug

I am wondering when you guys have had your killing frosts this year if yet?  We had frost this morning but it just nipped a few leaves on the gourd vines. 8) 8) I have seen it frost as early as the first week of September and as late as the second week of November(killing frost I mean). ;)

Chime in with the date of your killing frost of the year when you have it.
???

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

CHARLIE

Here in New Richmond, Wisconsin we've had several killing frosts this past week.  I kept the peppers covered but still lost one bush of almost ready Hungarian Wax.  Donna's tomato plants are gone though.  The collards are in good shape. In fact, they seem to get better after a frost, but a downright freeze will kill them.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Corley5

We had a pretty good frost last night.  Anything that was sheltered a bit by trees or a building survived but anything in the open got burned.  Some years we don't even get a killing frost here it just starts snowing.  I remember picking tomatoes with snow coming down more than once and one year we had petunias blooming in a  basket hanging from a porch post in Dec.  On the other hand 5 years ago we had 30 degree temps July 15th and a neighbor in the valley east of us lost most of his garden.  On the avg. we usually have a killing frost sometime the end of Sept or first of Oct.  I remember Grandpa telling about a frost in mid August that killed his silage corn and then the temps went into the nineties.  Before they were done chopping they had the garden hose running into the silo filler because the corn was so dry :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

What has to die to be classified as a 'killing' frost?   ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CHARLIE

The tomatoes an' da petunias...... :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Woodcarver

I thought we would have a killing frost here either Friday or Saturday night, but it didn't happen.  A few leaves nipped, but that was it.  Looks like we won't have one for awhile.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

woodmills1

believe it or not, it has been neautiful here.  3 weeks ago chilly but no frost.  Last week days in the 80's.  this weekend rainy with 60 days and just under 50 nights.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

No killing frost here yet, but there was some patchy frost in low areas back in august. I picked pumpkins friday and the vines were still green. The blight got my maters and the cukes matured and died a month ago as well as the beans. I leave my rutabego in the grown until hard frost in November, they are already the size of footballs. A hard frost freezes at least a 1/2 inch of top soil like a crust. ;D No one has cut any corn or soyabeans here yet. Some farmers still have 100 acres of taters to dig, been wet except last week.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Minnesota_boy

October 7, 2005.  26 degrees at 6:00 A.M.  Perfect for chilling the meat I put down the evening before.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jodi

I don' think we've had any frost to speak of just yet...  8)

Jeff

Still none here. Was in the 30s a couple nights ago but no frost or freeze
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

farmerdoug

Had a fair frost here this morning.   :(Recorded a low of 29 this morning.   Just nipped the tops of the peppers and eggplants.  All we still have in the field that is freezable is peppers, eggplants, and sweet corn.  We are still picking them all. 8)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Fraxinus

Still waiting for it to happen here.  Second crop of raspberries is starting to come in. 8)  Tonight promises to be pretty cool.  We'll see what happens in the am.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Jeff

Yep, we got one last night too. The roof was white this morning, however, most of the flowers made it through. I doubt if they make it tonight though.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

wiam

28 degrees and clear here now.  I think it is over.

Will

Sprucegum

We had a touch of frost every DanG month this year. Our "killing Frost" was back in mid September sometime.
First of October we got snowed on while camped out in the woodlot, it was kinda nice :) but I 'm glad it melted next day.

SwampDonkey

31 degrees this morning, coldest yet.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

We haven't had a killing frost in like forever.  :D The low is probably about 62 to 65 last night and the high will be somewhere between 75 and 81.  Ask a Costa Rican what killing frost is and they will think you are talking about freezer burn.

Down here even I can be a weatherman.  ;D

So, how did I end up here anyway?

bull

Not yet just missed us !   frost on the roof of the van and the barn but the tomatoes,peppers and eggplant are still looking ok......    time for some solar assistance to keep the going....   Black plastic cover !!!   lots of green tomatoes need a liitle more heat to rippen

maple flats

Had a very light one on the truck windshield this morning but nothing on the maters or lawn yet. This must be a record for us. We usually get one w/full moon in Sept but not this year.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

woodmills1

Cant believe still only 35 here Kathy did say there was frost on windows down by the river last night when she left work late.

Down by the river..........  shot my baby...............  by who???? :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

Neil Young, 'Down by the River'. ???

Be on my side,
I'll be on your side, baby
There is no reason
for you to hide
It's so hard for me
staying here all alone
When you could be
taking me for a ride.

Yeah, she could drag me
over the rainbow,
send me away
Down by the river
I shot my baby
Down by the river,
Dead, oh, shot her dead.

You take my hand,
I'll take your hand
Together we may get away
This much madness
is too much sorrow
It's impossible
to make it today.

Yeah, she could drag me
over the rainbow,
send me away
Down by the river
I shot my baby
Down by the river,
Dead, oh, shot her dead.

Be on my side,
I'll be on your side,
baby
There is no reason
for you to hide
It's so hard for me
staying here all alone
When you could be
taking me for a ride.

Yeah, she could drag me
over the rainbow,
send me away
Down by the river
I shot my baby
Down by the river,
Dead, oh, shot her dead.

woodmills1

nice.......................

bought that one so long ago it was on 8 track    cowgirl in the sand was also on it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,10 min long fit on one track  would click it around again and again. :D

Grawulf

"Old man - take a look at my life - I'm a lot like you were" - Only I'm feelin' like I'm a lot like you ARE!  :D Back on track-------- We got a killing frost in Savannah, Ohio last night. Leaves should be peak toward middle of the week. Here come the leaf peepers!!!!!!!!! :o

johnjbc

We still have mostly green trees here but the weather forcast calls for us to see 3x temps this week. Winter won't be long ::) ::)
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Thank You Sponsors!