iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Season ending frosts

Started by farmerdoug, October 09, 2005, 08:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerdoug

I am wondering when you guys have had your killing frosts this year if yet?  We had frost this morning but it just nipped a few leaves on the gourd vines. 8) 8) I have seen it frost as early as the first week of September and as late as the second week of November(killing frost I mean). ;)

Chime in with the date of your killing frost of the year when you have it.
???

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

CHARLIE

Here in New Richmond, Wisconsin we've had several killing frosts this past week.  I kept the peppers covered but still lost one bush of almost ready Hungarian Wax.  Donna's tomato plants are gone though.  The collards are in good shape. In fact, they seem to get better after a frost, but a downright freeze will kill them.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Corley5

We had a pretty good frost last night.  Anything that was sheltered a bit by trees or a building survived but anything in the open got burned.  Some years we don't even get a killing frost here it just starts snowing.  I remember picking tomatoes with snow coming down more than once and one year we had petunias blooming in a  basket hanging from a porch post in Dec.  On the other hand 5 years ago we had 30 degree temps July 15th and a neighbor in the valley east of us lost most of his garden.  On the avg. we usually have a killing frost sometime the end of Sept or first of Oct.  I remember Grandpa telling about a frost in mid August that killed his silage corn and then the temps went into the nineties.  Before they were done chopping they had the garden hose running into the silo filler because the corn was so dry :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

What has to die to be classified as a 'killing' frost?   ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CHARLIE

The tomatoes an' da petunias...... :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Woodcarver

I thought we would have a killing frost here either Friday or Saturday night, but it didn't happen.  A few leaves nipped, but that was it.  Looks like we won't have one for awhile.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

woodmills1

believe it or not, it has been neautiful here.  3 weeks ago chilly but no frost.  Last week days in the 80's.  this weekend rainy with 60 days and just under 50 nights.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

No killing frost here yet, but there was some patchy frost in low areas back in august. I picked pumpkins friday and the vines were still green. The blight got my maters and the cukes matured and died a month ago as well as the beans. I leave my rutabego in the grown until hard frost in November, they are already the size of footballs. A hard frost freezes at least a 1/2 inch of top soil like a crust. ;D No one has cut any corn or soyabeans here yet. Some farmers still have 100 acres of taters to dig, been wet except last week.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Minnesota_boy

October 7, 2005.  26 degrees at 6:00 A.M.  Perfect for chilling the meat I put down the evening before.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jodi

I don' think we've had any frost to speak of just yet...  8)

Jeff

Still none here. Was in the 30s a couple nights ago but no frost or freeze
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

farmerdoug

Had a fair frost here this morning.   :(Recorded a low of 29 this morning.   Just nipped the tops of the peppers and eggplants.  All we still have in the field that is freezable is peppers, eggplants, and sweet corn.  We are still picking them all. 8)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Fraxinus

Still waiting for it to happen here.  Second crop of raspberries is starting to come in. 8)  Tonight promises to be pretty cool.  We'll see what happens in the am.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Jeff

Yep, we got one last night too. The roof was white this morning, however, most of the flowers made it through. I doubt if they make it tonight though.

wiam

28 degrees and clear here now.  I think it is over.

Will

Sprucegum

We had a touch of frost every DanG month this year. Our "killing Frost" was back in mid September sometime.
First of October we got snowed on while camped out in the woodlot, it was kinda nice :) but I 'm glad it melted next day.

SwampDonkey

31 degrees this morning, coldest yet.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

We haven't had a killing frost in like forever.  :D The low is probably about 62 to 65 last night and the high will be somewhere between 75 and 81.  Ask a Costa Rican what killing frost is and they will think you are talking about freezer burn.

Down here even I can be a weatherman.  ;D

So, how did I end up here anyway?

bull

Not yet just missed us !   frost on the roof of the van and the barn but the tomatoes,peppers and eggplant are still looking ok......    time for some solar assistance to keep the going....   Black plastic cover !!!   lots of green tomatoes need a liitle more heat to rippen

maple flats

Had a very light one on the truck windshield this morning but nothing on the maters or lawn yet. This must be a record for us. We usually get one w/full moon in Sept but not this year.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

woodmills1

Cant believe still only 35 here Kathy did say there was frost on windows down by the river last night when she left work late.

Down by the river..........  shot my baby...............  by who???? :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

Neil Young, 'Down by the River'. ???

Be on my side,
I'll be on your side, baby
There is no reason
for you to hide
It's so hard for me
staying here all alone
When you could be
taking me for a ride.

Yeah, she could drag me
over the rainbow,
send me away
Down by the river
I shot my baby
Down by the river,
Dead, oh, shot her dead.

You take my hand,
I'll take your hand
Together we may get away
This much madness
is too much sorrow
It's impossible
to make it today.

Yeah, she could drag me
over the rainbow,
send me away
Down by the river
I shot my baby
Down by the river,
Dead, oh, shot her dead.

Be on my side,
I'll be on your side,
baby
There is no reason
for you to hide
It's so hard for me
staying here all alone
When you could be
taking me for a ride.

Yeah, she could drag me
over the rainbow,
send me away
Down by the river
I shot my baby
Down by the river,
Dead, oh, shot her dead.

woodmills1

nice.......................

bought that one so long ago it was on 8 track    cowgirl in the sand was also on it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,10 min long fit on one track  would click it around again and again. :D

Grawulf

"Old man - take a look at my life - I'm a lot like you were" - Only I'm feelin' like I'm a lot like you ARE!  :D Back on track-------- We got a killing frost in Savannah, Ohio last night. Leaves should be peak toward middle of the week. Here come the leaf peepers!!!!!!!!! :o

johnjbc

We still have mostly green trees here but the weather forcast calls for us to see 3x temps this week. Winter won't be long ::) ::)
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Woodcarver

We usually get a hard frost here with the full moon in September, too, especially if it falls in the second half of the month.  This year we've passed the full moon in October with only light frost. I mowed our lawn at the beginning of this past week. Latest we've mowed in the 30+ years we've lived here.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

ohsoloco

Forecast is calling for wet snow tonight.  Still haven't had any kind of a frost 'round here.  Gotta get out there and cut the grass if it dries up enough  :P

woodmills1

still no frost   and :o  southernman don't need no killin frost round here.

thiggy

Well, it got down to 39deg. in Birmingham last night.  We had a killing dew.I had to turn on the furnace to keep my wife happy when I left for work this AM.
Sow your wild oats on Saturday night.  Sunday morning pray for crop failure!

breederman

We have only had one light frost and that was just this last sat. depending on when the moon is full we can expect a frost any time in september.
  Now it is "slushing" outside! :o The weaterman is calling for up to seven inches of snow at over 1500 feet.We are not that high here.This could get ugly as alot of leaves are still on!
Together we got this !

ohsoloco

Woke up to rain this morning when I let the dog out.  After another short nap it was snowing like crazy!  Several inches on the ground, and the roads are horrible (should've stayed home).  Lots of trees are losing branches since most of them still have all of their leaves  :(

SwampDonkey

You guys can just keep that white wet stuff over there thanks. ;) It's going to be raining here off the Wilma hurricane soon.

breederman

Just got back from some bussiness and it is Slippery! first snow and people don't slow down.I barly got back up on the hill.Supposed to go to Utica tonight for a meeting.Think I may stay right here!
Together we got this !

DanG

We're getting close, even here in N. Fla.  Tonites' low is predicted to be 35.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Teri

At 2:30 today it was 63,tonight in the 40's!!! :)

tnlogger

yup that time of year frost on the pumkin this morning and 32 degs here  ;)
gene

beenthere

DanG and Teri
That's Wisconsin weather (and other places up north). You are so lucky to have some of it.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Well now, yes. Count yourself very fortunate. ;D

Teri

Well, I for one LIKE IT!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Now if I could see some snow.. 8)

tnlogger

Why teri just give it a couple of wks the you can go hunting for that there furby but then again furbys can hide in the snow  ;D
gene

Teri

Got better things to do than go huntin furbys... ;D ;D ;D

Bro. Noble

Well,  some guy from up north came down here and brought some of that killing frost with him last night >:(  I was glad to see a fellow FFer,  but could have done without the winter weather ;)

He even caught me working. :o  I was getting ready for Buzz to come visit.  He said he needed a 10'X10' patch to pitch a tent,  so I was picking the rocks off of a spot for him.  He better come visit me one of these days after I went to all that work ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Buzz-sawyer

I wanted to come but honery Furby wouldnt let me. :o :o :o ;)
Actually had a great visit with the resident furbster at the mill yesterday!!!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Bro. Noble

Maybe that 's who was here too?  Couldn't really see him for the whiskers and with the singing "On the Road Again"  I thought that was Willie Nelson.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Weekend_Sawyer

We had our first frost this morning. Nothing heavy just enough to make my truck 2 toned!

Heading for the mountain camp in WV  this weekend. The leavs should be in full color. We plan to do some hiking mabe stumble across a turkey, that's usually how I get them.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

Well, now that we got the first snow storm over with, we can look forward to our Indian summer.  smiley_sun smiley_sun smiley_sun

pappy

Had our first killing frost back in August when it killed my peppers and string beans and singed my tomatoes.... >:(

Yesterday we got 8" of the wet sloppy stuff   double yuk  ... and Fort Kent just 7 miles north  got 16" of it...  supposed to be nice here for the next couple days though ... GOOD I'll be able to get those last of the season chores done before the next drop comes and it stays till May!!! :o

Quote from: Teri on October 25, 2005, 05:23:12 PM
Well, I for one LIKE IT!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Now if I could see some snow.. 8)

Teri will this do ??  (yesterday)

or this ?? (last March)

Happy Pappy
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Teri

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!   8) 8) 8) 8)

I almost forgot what it looked like.  ;)

bull

30 degrees this am. checked the tomatoes, peppers and egg plant. they made it......    frost on the barn roof and the vehicles. The garden appears to be in the right spot.. i have picked  tomatoes as late a christmas eve some years but i don't think thats going to happen this year.  I think due to the water table being so high that there is still enogh heat coming from the soil.

Furby

I think somebody over did the rock picking. ::)
At least you can see he's not one to sit around when there's work to be done. ;D

Will this work for a place to pitch your tent Buzz ???

Yup, had a real good visit with a couple of friends......... missed Arky AGAIN though. ::)

beenthere

Now Furby, where did you just get back from?  Is there a story to tell?  Or just this one 'teaser' ? ::) ???
south central Wisconsin

Furby

It's already been told........ read between the lines. ;)

bull

Well close enough tomatoes got hit a little and the wife said, lets clean up the garden. 
ALMOST DONE.... Still have beets, carrots,onions,spinach,and swiss card. They are burried in leaves

Picked some nice small peppers and egg plant. The tomatoes were all done.

Jeff

We finally got ours last night. October 28, latest I can remember.

SwampDonkey

It was 25 F here this morning, I went for a stroll in the woods for 2 or 3 hours and I didn't see any ice in the puddles so the ground must be fairly warm still. A bull moose scared the dickens outta me for a second, bolting like a car out of control through the poplar trees. :D :D Bugger has been knawing the bark off my planted larch, and ripping the tops off my planted white pine. He's gonna get a heavy stick across his snout if he gets too cocky. ;)  The woods are the wettest I've ever seen. I always said there's no scarcity of water in this country. :)

Jeff

The frost missed this even thogu we had heavy frost and 24 degrees.

We have had snap dragons survive all winter tunked into the rocks up close to the house there on the south side. Must be enough heat absorbed from the sun to help them out

SwampDonkey

Crocuses are hardy winter plants too. They came up in February where I lived in Prince Rupert, 500 miles up north of Vancouver.

Jeff do you guys have fall asters? They'll take a hard frost (20's F) and survive too. I've seen bubble bees that look frozen in time clasping to the blooms in the fall.

Ed_K

Finally got a frost this morning that did in the maters. This is the latest we've ever gone before a killing frost.
Ed K

farmerdoug

Well, we had our killing frost here Saturday morning(Oct. 29).  It was 23 at 3:30 am in the morning when I left for market.  :( We spent today picking up the good peppers and eggplants.  The last of the sweet corn is now tasteless.  Will chop in the last of the crops and start fall plowing this week.  All I have to pick is the cole crops and that is just until the 14th of Nov.  I then start deer hunting. ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Roxie

Farmerdoug we had our first heavy frost this morning.  In seasons past, I remember most of the leaves from the trees being on the ground by Halloween.  This year, the leaves are just now beginning to turn.  We do have some reds mixed with the orange and yellow and it's so pretty. 
Say when

farmerdoug

Roxie, I hear you on that.  The maples here are colored from yellows to oranges to reds.  They contrast beautifully against the green oaks.  But with the hard freeze the leaves are now dropping like flys.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

Tributaries of the Restigouch R.  Forestry and Outdoor Sportsmanship

Fire trail branch

Sport Camp Brook

Poplar Brook

Wild Goose Lake

Bowman Brook

Burnt Camp Brook

Soldiers Brook

Buzz-sawyer

Quote from: Furby on October 27, 2005, 05:15:55 PM
I think somebody over did the rock picking. ::)
At least you can see he's not one to sit around when there's work to be done. ;D

Will this work for a place to pitch your tent Buzz ???

Yup, had a real good visit with a couple of friends......... missed Arky AGAIN though. ::)

Well.it is a good start but we need a "Rock FreeZone" to pitch a tent on.......so it may be a spell before that 10x10is clear....I have seen that country before......and recone a fella would hafta sift out 30 acres to get that 10x10........... :o :o :o :o ??? ??? 8) 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!