iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help...Goat Skin Growth

Started by Linda, October 09, 2005, 06:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linda

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a growth on the skin of one of our female goats. On her chest (near the front leg).

It's hard to see in the picture, but it kind of looked like a ripe red raspberry all around the outer edge with a dry black center (the center was covered with a white scab like crust).  Now, it is a little bigger and almost completely covered with the dry black and white crust.  It's about the size of a red raspberry, too.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?  Also, if and how it should be treated?

Linda

Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

beenthere

Well, I would have to say for sure "I don't know", but from the picture and description, it appears to be similar to what we used to find in cattle, and they would have a grub under there. The 'fixin' details I will leave out, but also remember we powdered them to kill the grub.  Seems I recall that there was a mite or fly that buried (layed) eggs under the skin on the legs, and these grubs grew and moved under the hide. Before they broke through like you describe along the back, they could sometimes be felt as a lump under the hide.

This is strictly a guess. A vet visit or call might be in order.  Or an antiseptic before making an incision to investigate further.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Looks like ringworm to me.  Careful you can get it too.  I speak from experience ::).  You can probably get something over the counter at TSC or your vet can fix you up with a salve.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

This is what I found, but think Corley5 might be right too.

cattle grubs info
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Could be ring worm like Corley said. I don't know what it looks like on animlas though. I seen it on father's arm a couple of times when he caught it from cattle. Ring worm kind of looks like a swelled up dark bruise with a ring pattern. Call the vet.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bro. Noble

Print that picture off and take it to a vet.  They won't charge you for a visit,  but will probably charge a little more for the medicine than a farm supply store. 

It could be mites or lice or ringworm.  I don't think it's 'warbles'  from heelflies that Beenthere is talking about.  Did you use a 'Pop bottle' to remove them,  Beenthere?  Maybe that's why they call them pop bottles :o :o ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Linda

Thanks for the help! 

The growth is raised about 1/2 an inch above the natural surface of her skin, can ringworm be that swollen?  It's really red and bubbly looking around the edge, but the center is taller yet (except dry and crackly looking black topped with white scale).

Beenthere,  I looked at the cattle grub website. They mentioned the skin turning yellowish-green, but not dark raspberry red.  Does the skin also turn red with this grub?  It also has the texture of a raspberry, except where it is dry and scaly.  She only has one growth where her chest meets her leg (nothing along her spine).

I suppose I'll have to take her to the vet to be sure. :-\  Oh, I can hear Al already. ::)

Linda

Bro.Noble,

Good idea about the picture going to the vet (a lot easier to haul than goat in the back of the pickup)!

The goats did have lice last winter, but we thought we had them gone this spring.  Could this be a reaction to the lice or can lice burrow into the skin?

beenthere

Linda
From its location, I too suspect it is not grubs or warbles. Vet pic-check seems in order.
If me, I'd cruise the internet or contact the ag school at Ames (or the county agent, if Iowa counties still have them) just to maybe get a hint of what it might be, and if common to goats.
Could it be a puncture wound that the goat managed to get running into something. ??  Sulfa powder might be something to try initially, as I doubt it can hurt and might attack any infection that is there. 

Hope it is not bad news or expensive.  ::)
south central Wisconsin

wiam

looks like ringworm that we used to get on cattle, but I do not remember it swelling that much.  I do know it really itches when people get it. ;) ;)  Ring worm is highly contagious.

Will

Linda

Thanks everyone for your help!

I have been everywhere I can think of on the internet, but I guess a trip to the vet will be my next step.

Bro. Noble

Linda,

A trip to the vet is no doubt the wise thing to do,  but the normal procedure back in the country would be to 1) if you think it's a warble,  take a pop bottle putting the opening over the bump and strike the bottom of the bottle sharply with the heel of your hand.  If a grub doesn't end up in your bottle go to step 2.

2) give the afflicted area a generous coating of clorox :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ernie

What kind of plants has she had access to, could be a thorn of some sort, is there any pus and is it hard to the touch.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

DonE911

My wife and I used to raise goats.....   If that thing continues to grow and then rupture in a puss and blood mix it could be a virus ...  we are both drawing a blank on the name of it... CLA seems to stick, but that may not be right.    Is this a new animal to your herd?  In FL alot of goats were destroyed becuase of it.....  would see it at auctions from time to time.   

Thats a small spot though... this stuff would boil up like a golfball before busting.  Could just be a small puncture from a thorn or something. Goats will get into thorns for the leaves.   

Linda

She has been with us for over 2 years.  None of the other goats have anything like it (They've all been with us the same amount of time) .  They are in pasture without thorns, an occasional thistle is accessible, but that's about it.  It doesn't appear to have any pus at all.

I'll try the bottle thing and see what happens.

etat

I've seen something that looked like that before, seriously.....Close to the same area that you describe.......

http://www.jackmauldin.com/diseases.htm

[iCaseous Lymphadenitis (CL) – Infectious. Bacteria enters animal through break in skin or mucous membranes and localizes in lymph node,

Abscesses of the lymph glands. NOT ALL abscesses are CL. Your vet can test the animals to see if the abscess is CL or not.

Isolate and remove animal from herd. Many breeders will get rid of animals with CL. Some breeders treat and manage animals with CL. Abscesses can be lanced, remove discharge, and treated with iodine for several times. Wear rubber gloves and destroy all discharge. Spread through the eruption of abscess and discharge being exposed to other animals. Vaccine available at PHL Associates, Inc
[

I had a goat that once had this and seperated it from my herd.   I eventually destroyed the goat to keep this from spreading through my herd....... It was a growth similar to this and it continued to grow and get bigger.   It was 'very hard' to the touch also, at first.    I'm not saying that is what this is, but for now I would definately seperate this goat from the others. If it is a abscess full of HARD infection it will eventually grow and burst and is highly infectious to the other goats......
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Jodi

Nasty :o keep us posted Linda, I think you got us all curious  ???

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

Linda, how did ya make out with the goat?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Linda

Sorry for not responding sooner.  THanks for all the input everyone!

The first vet said that it was probably a spider bite.  He told us to put hydrocortisone on it.

Well, a month later it was still there only a bit more crusty looking and slightly bigger.

Still no pus in it, just a weird growth.

THe second vet looked at her yesterday and immediately said, "Oh, that's just a wart."

He said not to worry about it. :-[

Linda :)

Thank You Sponsors!