iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheap dump truck

Started by DMax, October 09, 2005, 12:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMax

Hey guys, I have pretty much talked myself into buying a dump truck pretty soon. I will be tearing down at least one house in the next couple of months, and hauling several truckloads of logs to the mile about 15-20 miles away. I would like a diesel with a flat bed that I can put my own removable sides on. My budget is between 5 and six grand. The problem is that I saw a post on here saying that this price range of trucks are pretty junky. Can I get a good truck that will work hard for me at this price? I would like to carry at least 5 tons. Lately there have been several trucks that I like selling on Ebay in my price range. Also I would like to possibly start using the truck next year for a demolition/tree removal business. Am I just wishful thinking?
Thanks very much, David

rebocardo

> My budget is between 5 and six grand. The problem is that I saw a post on
> here saying that this price range of trucks are pretty junky.

For someting to haul 5 tons, yea, pretty much anything that cheap is junk and will require a bunch of upkeep unless you buy a 2 1/2 ton (5 tons on road) military 6x6 ($4000) and convert it to a dump.

Frickman

Try to find a Ford F700 or similar size flat-bed dump. I use one some and it is very versatile. With removable stakes and sideboards you can haul, dirt, logs, lumber, equipment, and all sorts of things. Alot of times you can find them where they came in off a fleet program with a utility company or something, where the body is removed and you buy the cab and chassis. From there you can add a dump hoist and bed of your choosing. The price of the truck and it's insurance won't be much more than a smaller one, if any, and you can haul more than in say a one ton dump.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!