iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the craziest tree fallin' story you know of? Here's mine.

Started by woodbowl, October 07, 2005, 11:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

True story A friend of mine decided to cut down a tree in his yard because  it had died and he didn't want it to fall on his house. It was also knarly and hollow. The intentions were to pull it just to be safe, but not before making a little bed cut first. As soon as the chainsaw entered the bed, the trunk broke and the tree fell over on his house! The hollow in the tree had extended to the very edge and there was only a thin "ring around" portion, holding the entire tree.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

OneWithWood

Once, before I knew what I was doing, I was felling a large tree close to the house.  The tree was heavily limbed on the side facing the house so I put the crawler bucket up as high as it would go and placed it against the tree opposite the direction I wanted the tree to go.  To make a long story short the tree rolled along the bucket and fell, missing the house gutter by inches.  My wife was standing on the deck when the tree fell.  She called down to me - "Hey, that was pretty slick dropping the tree right where you are going to stack the firewood.  You must know what you're doing!"

I never told her any different  :D  I could hardly talk I was so petrified watching that tree head right for her and the house  :o

I signed up for the Game of Logging cutter classes at the first opportunity after that.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

CHARLIE

When I used to work at IBM, a work friend of mine had a leaning tree next to a fence that he wanted cut down. Another work friend said he'd to it for the wood.  He came in the next day with a not so funny situation that made a funny story.  He was out there by himself, the tree was leaning toward the fence and a secondary road, but he figured if he cut it right it would fall the other way.  He cut it right but the tree had a mind of its own and came crashing down on the fence and across the paved road, just over a hill.  He did some fast cutting to get that tree out of the road because if a vehicle had happened along, they would have had a huge surprise as they came over the hill. ;D  All turned out well, but I think my friend got a few gray hairs out of the experience, plus he had to fix the fence. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

flip

Brings to mind the Vonage commercial where the guy drops a tree on a nearby parked car.  Even if that was set up he had some very good aim to bust it right on the hood. :D :D :D
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D :D Flip, I laugh at that commercial to. What a nut! :D :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_van

I always wondered if that was take 1 on that car shot or if they had to do a bunch to get it right?????
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

SwampDonkey

From the quality of the video, it makes me think its a home video. I've seen stunts like that on SpikeTV's RealTV. There was an episode where a willow fell on a car. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Murf

It involves certain chemical compounds which when correctly prepared and exposed to a blasting cap lead to a big bang.  :o

But I promised Da' Boss I would nebber again mention it out here in da' public areas so dats all I'm gonna say about da' whole durned affair.   :-[

I might just plain bust not sayin' it, but nope .....    :-X

Besides, I'd get whoop-ticated like as not.   :'(
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Jim_Rogers

I had nothing to do with this, but I thought I'd show you this one:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

karl

This one is not even remotely funny-
Small  town church sets a mobile home at the edge of the church parking lot under big ole maple for their preacher. Preacher and a couple of members decide to cut the tree- reason unknown- confident that God was on their side they have at it and sure enough, drop a 3' plus diameter maple right on the mobile home, no great loss there, but, the lady of the house was inside watching them cut it..... She lived, but spent some time in the hospital.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

submarinesailor

The very first tree I put on the ground, by myself, was across a chain link fence.  Knew I had the notch wrong, but being young and dumb.   I dropped it anyway – not across it. Nooooo, right down the length – a lot of fence to fix. ::) ::) ::)

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D

Alot of you fellas have fun ermmmm.... mending fences. :D :D

asy

Quote from: OneWithWood on October 07, 2005, 11:21:01 AM
  I could hardly talk I was so petrified watching that tree head right for her and the house  :o

OOOH!!!  If'n ya EVER need brownie points with her, show her this post. Trust me.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

woodbowl

Quote from: asy on October 07, 2005, 07:15:08 PM

OOOH!!! If'n ya EVER need brownie points with her, show her this post. Trust me.

asy :D
DON'T DO IT O.W.W.  It's a trap!..........Trust me.   ;D ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

whitepine

My girlfriend and I were out  in the woods and I was going to cut down a huge black ash tree in January in northern Minnesota. I had her back away and because I have had back surgery I cannot bend and do not like to kneel when felling so I cut them about 3 ft high a dangerous thing to do even with a solid tree. The saw just dove into the wood so I knew it was rotten and you know how a rotten tree can go anywhere  so as soon as it started to go I ran about 15 ft turned around and as it  fell a black head  came up out of the hollow stump. I did not know how much bear was behind it so yelled at my girlfriend to get out of there. Turned out to be just a small one and it could barely walk at first (imagine the wakeup it had). It circled us almost once than  headed out thru the snow.  Lucky for it I had a bad back  as the saw went over its head by about 3 inches. Story was picked up by local radio station. Lucky to have a witness noone would have believed it otherwise.

Faron

well, I HAD a story, but I think Whitepine probably will win this hands down! :D :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

oldsaw

....I cut down one off balanced walnut, next to one that was going out at an angle.  I had a narrow "window" to shoot it through, missed by inches.  The tree caught the top of the angled tree and slid down.  There was a branch that had hooked around the angled tree, which completely flattened my gas can placed behind the tree for it's "protection"...
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Daren

When I was a kid the neighbor had a tree on the corner of his lot he wanted down. We had a town "jack of all trades" I could write a book on this guy. He said he would saw the tree down for $250, he paid his helper $150 to top it, clean up the mess and get it ready. The next day he showed up to figure how to get it down . It was next to the garage and the pole on the corner had lines going both ways down the neighbors lot line. He walked around it, scratched his head and went after the saw. He should have walked around it one more time. He dropped it right on the power pole like he was trying to hit it and torn down some lines. I was probably only 10 yrs. old so I don't remember what it cost him to have that fixed, but I am sure it was at least a weeks pay.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Engineer

I have never dropped a tree anywhere other than exactly where it was intended to go.   ::)

I have, however, changed my intended direction in mid-fall.   :D

mike_van

I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Bro. Noble

Faron,

I know just what you mean------although the squirrel in my story was a really ferocious and pithed beast :D :D

Now if that guy that cut the hollow tree with the mummified Civil War soldier in it that pops up in tales from time to time should happen to join the forum,  Whitepine's story will have some competition ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Rockn H

Dan, that is some story. :o

All this talk about tree fallin' has reminded me of a sawing demonstration that stihl put on back in the mid 90's.  The guy they had here was from germany and he could throw a leaning tree away from the lean and drop it dead center between the stakes everytime.  It was amazing as to how he used the cuts to make the tree giveway and swing exactly how he wanted it to. :)

chet

I wouldn't know where to start.  :)   We'll have ta bring this subjuct up around da campfire at da Piggy Roast next year. But it might be a long night.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sawguy21

A contractor I had dealt with called to ask if he could trade his Stihl 075 in on a new one. I said "sure, I would have a look at it" He brought what was left of it in a box. Seems the tree, a big cedar, barberchaired and took the saw right out of his hands, sending it halfway to the moon. The saw hit the ground before the tree landed on it. The goof came in smelling of happy cabbage so I don't think he was fully aware of what was going on.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!