iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pithed

Started by chet, October 07, 2005, 09:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

You get more smilies the same way. you just need to click thr [more] link just after the last smiley to see them in a new window.

I dont think I want to share how to quote! smiley_mellow
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

Quote from: Jeff B on October 12, 2005, 03:24:16 PM

I dont think I want to share how to quote! smiley_mellow

why not, jeff?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Cause Noble is watching and i am boycotting him for the day for making fun of the way greg and I hunt and eat grouse. ;D

Murf

Quote.... making fun of the way greg and I hunt and eat grouse.

As long as nobody ends up bandaged, and you don't have a pile of shot on the 'bone plate' when yer' done is there a wrong way ta' do it?  ::)

:D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Jeff

O.K., I'll relent.  For EVERYBODY ELSE. ;)

This link goes right to the part of the help section (Available as the help link on your menu) that tells about the functions of all those little icons in the post form, including how to quote.

LINK

Ernie

Hey Jeff

Thanks for that "LINK" I never knew it existed. :-[ :-[ :-[

If I had died yesterday, I never would have known about that ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Bro. Noble

Quote from: Jeff B on October 12, 2005, 05:33:50 PM
O.K., I'll relent.  For EVERYBODY ELSE. ;)

This link goes right to the part of the help section (Available as the help link on your menu) that tells about the functions of all those little icons in the post form, including how to quote.

LINK

Thanks Jeff,  Ernie needed that smiley_mad_crazy
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Patty

Asy,

Your experience with the worthless contractor is not unique. I think it is an unwritten rule that all contractors have to start a job, get everything all torn up, and then not come back for several weeks.  ::)

I start calling after day 4 of neglect. Today, for example, I had to call one such negligent cement contractor. Last week he said he'd do a cement patio for us. Friday he packed 75 tons of lime just outside my back door, so we could track it in all weekend  ::). I was really looking forward to Monday so we would have concrete instead of lime just out side the door. By Wednesday when we still had no cement, I was getting a wee bit pithed.  >:(   So I tracked down his cell phone number (since they usually don't return calls made to their home) and when he still was a no show this morning, I called him. As always, like other contractors, he was jovial, and pretended like he really wanted to talk to me, asking me if I was anxious to get in my new patio.  ::)    I said, "no, in fact I am getting really cranky, with all the lime dust coming into my house! And nobody wants a cranky Patty!"  He assured me that he would be here tomorrow to set forms, and Monday we would have cement.  I don't believe him for a second, but I'll have to wait and see. ....I know where he lives.  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Radar67

Somebody better hold her back!!!!!! :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

Patty
e-mail your avitar pic sans the scabbard on the saw tip. Mention tomorrow would be good to have concrete down and finished before the weekend.  :)

I am going through similar going on 6½ weeks to get shower room finished. Absolutely amazing the 'non-challant' response WHEN finally getting through to them (never return a call message left on the machine or a message left with the secretary).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

How many of you will continue to business with these people who don't return your calls? The reason I ask is, this is a good example of how not to treat your customers. Always return calls and do what you say you are going to do.  :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Ernie

Calls to his home at 1:00am, then 2:00am etc for a couple of days usually work ;D ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Patty

I keep hassling them until they finish the job they have started; then they are history. Problem with living out where we do is that there is not 15 more contractors to fill in. There is usually only one or two, and they are worse than the one you just fired! :o   

Alot of this stuff you just learn to do on your own. Problem is I just don't have the time nor the want to learn alot of these trades, although that is changing as I get older...

Cement work is just really hard, and I am a weeny arm. So I will just have to be cranky until the guy finishes the job. It will, however, impact whether he gets hired back.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Jeff

I wouldnt make a good Contractor. Its taken us two months to build a shed. :D

Ernie

Patty, how's this for a suggestion.

For every day that he doesn't show up, add two weeks to the time it takes you to get around to writing out his cheque ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Pay him 1 check per week or two. That way, he will know YOU didn't forget. ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

CHARLIE

I've done just that Ernie.  One time it was a flooring guy that actually held up the finishing of a kitchen remodeling job.  He finally came and did the job and billed us the same day. I waited 6 weeks to pay him.  Another was a plumber that stopped midway in installing a pedestal sink in the bathroom.  After several weeks he came back and finished the job. Within a day I had a bill. I shelved it.  Got bill #2 the next month with a late payment charge.  I shelved it.  Got bill #3 the following month with another late payment charge. I shelved it.  Got bill #4 the next month with another late payment charge.  I then sent him a check for the work he did with a note telling him I took no longer to pay him than he took to finish the job and that I was not going to pay the late payment fee. >:(
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Furby

Quote from: Jeff B on October 13, 2005, 05:00:55 PM
I wouldnt make a good Contractor. Its taken us two months to build a shed. :D

Well it's gonna take me four weeks to do a roof I planned to do in under two. ::)

Patty

The bummer of this whole thing, is that you hire these yahoos with good intentions, of wanting to get a job done right, of wanting to find a contractor that you can hire again and again over the years. Then when they leave you high and dry in a bad situation, they don't understand why you are all mad and cranky. Being nice to them doesn't make any difference at all, I have found. It just hurts your feelings even more when they blow you off...
And I don't care if a job takes longer than planned if you actually SHOW UP! It is when you don't come back for days or weeks and the job drags on and on.   Guess I need to learn how to pour cement and get some popeye arms like Linda, and do it myself.  >:(
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

beenthere

Patty   Are you 'invitin' Linda over for a 'concrete' party?  :)

I have to tell about a good experience with a contractor. An 'older' fellow, age 74, named 'Bud' had a crew of three and was asked if he would be interested in adding us on a 'great' room the fall of '01. He said "sure". I had a local architect take my plans to for drawings, and Bud said he used the same 'arch' to help him with his work. I asked for a 'quote' and he just said "$75,000".  (gulp). I wanted to know what I could do to get ready, and what he planned to do in the process. He just said he would do it for $75k. No details.  So I made a list of what I expected, and gave it to him. He glanced at it and said he would do it for $75k. No details or clarification. Then he said, We'll start next week Monday.  That was 4 days away.  We said, "go ahead" (been wanting to do this for about 30 years!).

Long story short, Bud and 3 man crew showed up Monday, and they never missed a day for nearly three months straight. Here every morining at 7 am, worked to 3:30 without a glitch. Fantastic, and they let me work along with them, as I enjoy that kind of stuff. We made some changes and added some things that I knew would bring the price up, but Bud never batted an eyelash. When I saw things I wanted done a certain way, he did it my way. At the end, come final check time, Bud said the balance was $__k and I said there were some additional items we added. He said he figured that, and it came to about $4k more, but because I helped, he 'paid' me $4k and the total job was still $75k.  Blew me away. That was about $10 an hour for watching, passing pieces, being a critic, and making sure they had fresh rolls (from my wife) and fresh coffee for break. It was a great building experience. Wish there were more 'Bud's around  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frank_Pender

Patty, you might well think of creating a bill for the cleaning and all of the lime from inside your home.  Let's say that it would run around $100 a day. 8)
Frank Pender

OneWithWood

Patty, obviously you have not been treating Norm properly.  I would think he could have poured that concrete and had it finished in half a day. But he would have wanted to do it.  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Patty

Now this is a Popeye Arm! I need two of these....either Linda can bring hers, or I need to do about a million arm excersizes!

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Fla._Deadheader

Patty, it's not so much having muscles, it's mostly about endurance.

If yer mixing yer own batches, THAT takes muscle and fortitude. If yer using a truck, once ya start, there's no rest = endurance.

Not really difficult to get a good job done, just no rest breaks.  :( ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Norm

Quote from: OneWithWood on October 14, 2005, 11:02:28 AM
Patty, obviously you have not been treating Norm properly.   :D

Boy I know I had it bad but for Robert to be able to see it all the way from Indiana it must be worse than I thought. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!