iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pithed

Started by chet, October 07, 2005, 09:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

Yesterday I got da mill and all support stuff ready ta go do a saw job today. The date has been set for a couple of months now, with the guy callin' me at least once a week since ta make sure we were still on. The last call being yesterday.  :-\
This mornin' he calls and cancels, he decided ta go bird huntin'.  He told da wife he'd be in touch to reschedule.   ::)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Frank_Pender

Chet, if it was me in your sawdust pile, I'd be toooo busy when he wants to reschedule. ;D
Frank Pender

OneWithWood

What a bummer :(

I hope you decided to go bird hunting too. ;)

I would be real tempted to up my price to reschedule and to inform him of my new policy that cancelations less than 7 days before the scheduled date carry a minimum charge to compensate for time wasted.  Unless it was a big job I would be sorely tempted to be too busy with other customers I might have put off to accomodate the date that was cancelled.

Brighter days are just ahead . . . when the white stuff covers everything and you have to wear sunglasses!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

CHARLIE

I detest people like that.  People that will leave you high and dry if something more fun for them appears on the horizon.  I sure hope you are too busy when he calls to reschedule and force him to schedule at your availability and not his.  That guy sounds really irresponsible and not very dependable. >:(
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SwampDonkey

You guys think that's bad.....Father used to call and get a crew ready to go to work on the harvest or packing shed. Everyone was good to go as usual. Come the next day there were always one or two that would never show, never call, nothin. Just as if they was kidnapped over night.  Sure are alot of people that get some kind of pleasure wasting your time. ::) >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DouginUtah

What really hurts is when you have put a crew together to do a concrete pour and a couple of guys don't show.  >:(   >:(   smiley_furious  smiley_furious3

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Corley5

I had a high school kid working in the hay for me for 3 years.  The 1st two he was indispensible.  He could drive a tractor, rake hay and wasn't afraid to throw bales.  The 3rd summer he was great when he'd show up  >:(::).  He stood me up three times ::).  The 3rd time I was expecting it and had somebody else lined up anyway ;)  I guess that's what happens when you're 17 and have a drivers license.  The first time I had customers coming to get hay off the wagons and much to their credit they pitched in and helped load wagons and I gave them a break for it.  The second time a neighbor was home and helped me on the wagons while Dad baled.  The young fellas parents were appalled at what he did and his older brother offered to kick his butt for me 8) but I just let it slide.  I still owe him $72.50 for the last time he showed up and I told his brother to tell him I'd pay him if he came to me for it ;) I'd a been in deep trouble if I told someone I was gonna help em make hay and didn't show.  Another thing that irks me is when somebody tells me they're gonna be out for hay at such and such a time and are an hour or more late or just plain don't show.  It's not so bad if I've got something going on at the shop but otherwise >:( 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Corley5 on October 07, 2005, 04:26:12 PM
Another thing that irks me is when somebody tells me they're gonna be out for hay at such and such a time and are an hour or more late or just plain don't show.

That used to be the story with truckers coming after produce from the packing shed. They'd give ya a time they'd show and it might be several hours after the fact in the middle of the night when all the crew is home sleeping. I'm not a happy camper when I'm awaken at 2:00 am to load 2000 50lb bags by hand with little help and expected to be working back on the line at 8:00 am the same day.  >:(

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DonE911

Go ahead and re-schedule.....  then take a "weather day" day :D :D

asy

WHy do people do this??

It's beyond my level of reasoning.

I have been renovating a house for a bit now, and a while ago my chippy, (carpenter/builder) who we'll call 'chippy' for this excercise, had to do another job he'd promised someone else for a week. I said fine, come back the week after and do all the trim (architraving, skirtings, etc). Then we'll look at laying the floating floor in the lounge, and finishing the job off. There were probably another 3 weeks work in it for him.

The week went by, and he was supposed to go to my job on the following monday (lets call this monday, week 1). I rang him Monday afternoon to see if he needed any more timber or other stuff. He said he wasn't able to get there coz his car was playing up. I said fine, when will you be able to get there, do you think??  ( I knew his car had been playing up and was due for fixing). He said Wednesday or Thursday. I said OK.

Well, I rang him THursday Afternoon to see how the job had gone. Car still not fixed. It'll be next week before I get there, says he.  *mutter* OK says I. Ring me when you get there and I'll come across and give ya a hand.

The following week comes (week 2) and I wait till Thursday with no call from him, and I ring him. No answer. Leave message on mobile phone.

The following week comes (week 3) and I wait till Wednesday with no call from him, and I ring him. No answer, Leave message on mobile phone.

The following week comes (week 4) and I ring on Tuesday. Getting Pithed now. NEed the job done, costing me money sitting there with nothing happenning.

I ring again on Friday Week 4. Still no answer. I get worried there's something wrong. I email, and SMS him as well.

Week 5 I happen to be at another job with a painter and pest treatment guy who also know Chippy. I asked them whether they'd heard from him, and what was going on? Pest guy says...  "Oh, he's gone to Victoria (2 states away) to visit his daughter,He's supposed to be home on the 5th of Sept (beginning of week 5), I'm waiting for him to do a job for me too ".  So I said fine, thanks, let me know if you hear from him, and I"ll let you know if I do.

Didn't ring him in week 4 coz I now knew he was away.

RAng him on the Tuesday of week 5, as he was supposed to be home on the monday. Still no @#$@# answer. Rang again Friday. No answer. Rang the pestie, he hadn't heard from him either.

No answer and messages left the Monday and Thursday of week 6. SAturday week 6 I ring a Plasterer who's a friend of his. Plasterer's daughter's getting married, He's just about to walk her down the isle, and instead is talking to me on the phone. Ya'd think the guy would have turned it off,but no.. Never mind. He tells me Chippy is sick with the flu. He came home from Victoria with it. I said "How do you know this", Plasterer tells me he rang CHippy at home (I only have his mobile number). I asked plasterer to ring chippy for me and tell him I need to know whether he still wants to do this job coz it's costing me a fortune sitting doing nothing. He very loudly (obviously to impress ppl in the room) tells me he can't ring now, he's at his daughter's wedding. I very politely informed him that tomorrow or monday would do, I didn't expect him to ring from the wedding (The guys a megalomaniac, can you tell?)

Anyway, Come Wednesday (week 7), I Ring the plasterer again, Where's Chippy? How is he? what's happenning? Plasterer tells me he's sick, refusing to go to doctor...  I said, well, if he can answer the phone for you, he could pick the phone up and ring me!

Friday week 7 I get another Chippy. Chippy2 has not missed a day. And knows how to use the phone.  :-*

So. Talk about Pithed.

It's now about week 11, an I STILL haven't heard from Chippy1. Now, I don't mind if he doesn't want to work with me any more. Not at all, but gee, he could have rung, emailed or SMS'd me.   >:(

Why did I wait so long?? Well, coz I"d promised the work to him. and I don't like to go back on my word. I felt I had to give him a good go, before replacing him. He can't complain, I paid him for every minute he said he was on the job, at the end of every week. No complaints, never had to wait. Maybe that's why he was cross?  >:(

So, that's my Pithed story. Thanks for letting me get it off my chest. Now you may all laugh at me for waiting so danG long.

asy :D

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Frickman

asy,

You're alot more patient than me. I know that things can happen, and folks might get delayed by things totally out of their control. It's happened to everyone. But, and I mean but, there is no excuse for not doing what you say you will do, keeping your word if you will. Being a professional carpenter, plumber, accountant, or whatever doesn't just involve your trade itself. You have to handle the people part of it also, what are now called "soft skills". If a person doesn't show up, or call, I find someone else. Some folks just go through life never caring about or feeling responsible for their actions. That's OK, I just don't deal with them.

Chet, I'd never do another job for this fellow again. If his daughter had to be rushed to the hospital, or he had some other emergency, I would gladly reschedule. Bird hunting though is not an unplanned emergency.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

SwampDonkey

The phone call thing I've experienced with businesses. They never return calls, I think it's because they don't right stuff down. When I need something for a PC, which is rare, I call the local shop. If I don't get a response in 3 days I go to  laptopsforless.com and have the part in a couple days. If they don't care about my business, I certainly won't care for theirs. ;D

Bro. Noble

I just don't understand this thread ???-------If I had a chance to go bird hunting and pith off Chet,  I'd do it in a heartbeat :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

Quote from: Bro. Noble on October 08, 2005, 01:23:39 PM
I just don't understand this thread ???-------If I had a chance to go bird hunting and pith off Chet,  I'd do it in a heartbeat :D :D :D

I never thought of it that way Noble! Who was it said yer jest an ol' punkun head? ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Quote from: Bro. Noble on October 08, 2005, 01:23:39 PM
I just don't understand this thread ???-------If I had a chance to go bird hunting and pith off Chet, I'd do it in a heartbeat :D :D :D

I've heard tell if ya blow in a punkin heads ear you will snuff out his candle.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

chet

Guess who called today.   ::)

DanG

Chet, I know you aren't a vindictive sort of person, so I'm sure you worked him back into your schedule.   :)

About next August, or so? ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

wiam

Jeff,  I almost fell out of my chair.

Will

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

chet

He wasn't happy that he was moved to the bottom of my to do list.   :o   He figured that I could have just moved somebody up that morning and he could just have da next slot.
I told him that if I get ahead I can maybe call him at short notice, but no promises. He told me he'd wait ( he don't like to work dat way).   :D  :D  :D  ;)

Frank_Pender

I would have sent him to someone else (probably someone I didn't like), or told him I could not find my list and would have to call him back.
Frank Pender

Don K

Funny how inconsiderate people think the world revolves around them and their schedule       

Ha I sure would like to put that angry smiley at the end of my statement but I don't know how.      Just picture it anyway.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Jeff

Donk, you simply click on it when your ready for it. The code that creats the smiley will be inserted into the last place you click in your message. If you want to put it back in the middle somewhere, simply click in your message text where you want the smiley, then click on the smiley to have the code inserted.

Help with Smileys link

Bro. Noble

Well  Jeff,  while you're at it,  why not tell him how to do the quotes too.  There might be someone else that would like to know how to do that ,  but is too bashful to ask :-[ ::)

Well,  I got the smilies mastered 8)   The ones that are shown above anyway ::)

Reckon it will get Chet pithed,  stealing his thread? ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!