iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable sawmill owners

Started by KiwiJake, August 30, 2002, 07:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiJake

Just curious to know what people on this forum have, so if you could tell us what type of mill/mills you own...?
8)

Frank_Pender

Gee, we have been here before, but here goes:  I own two Mobile Dimension Mills.   One mill is set up inside a building and can cut 24' 10" logs up to 4 1/2' in diam.  The other can cut the same diam. only 18' 10" long and it is set up on a factory trailer with whol bunches of hydraulic bells and whistles.   I also have a custom built 6 man head rig that uses a 52" blade and can cut 24' logs 3' in diam.  I have redesigned it so that it takes only one person to operate the entire unit from one location.  The unit was designed and originally built by Stevens Equipment in Salem, Oregon in the late 1960's.
Frank Pender

Tom

Nobody here is shy, Jake.  We talk about our mills allt the time.  Peruse the past threads and you will find a lot of friendly banter about the mils.  My old standby is a 1990 Wood Mizer LT40HD with a trailer package. I also have a Baker 3638D 24 ft mill on wheels.There's pictures down in the Services Topic :)

The really neat thing about this site is that we have portable millers, stationary millers and sawyers in production cirlcle mills.  Just about every way a log can be sawed is represented here.

We've got Foresters and loggers too.  Man are they handy to have around.  

In the background, although not to far, we have carpenters and turners and nurses and teachers .  Pretty neat place, Huh?    :)

Frank_Pender

Jake, we also have retired teachers that have gone to more full time sawmilling.  :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :'(the last smiley is because I miss the kids this time for year but not the bureaucratic "stuff". ;D
Frank Pender

johnjbc

I have the twin sister of Tom's first mill a Wood-Mizer
1990 LT40HD24 8)

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Bibbyman

Started in 94 with a new Wood-Mizer LT40G18 manual mill.  Added a used 96 LT40HDG35 Super in 2000.  Sold the Super in December of 2001 and ordered a new LT40HDE25-RA Super stationary with the works.  The week before it arrived in January 2002,  we sold our first LT40G18.

But our new LT40 does not have wheels! ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

WM LT40HDG25 on wheels with 12 ft bed extension.  Saw full time (all the time) and I put out 150,000 + bdft a year alone.  Just hired a full time man to help.  Need a swinger, several kilns, an edger and a clone.  Then I will be ready to start a business ;D  
  What does Kiwi have?
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

GarryW

WM LT40HDG25 - I just got it this spring. Before that a 1997 WM LT25G11, that one cut well but the cranking and log handling got to be a bit much when cutting at a customer site. Now my fingers only get tired from pushing the levers. And I just added on the Accuset that I bought the WM party, that is great. And I still my old Alaskan that I started with.

garry
Garry

KiwiJake

GREAT PICS to go along side! Unfortunately I haven't got any photo's of my old set up... it was a Peterson type 6" swing saw run by a Sthil 088 power head with 6 meter track sections, I built it from scratch to my own specs with my own log dog system, and modifying the drop system from a four corner drop to a 2 set winch drop similar to the ATS system. I carted it around with a 4x4 double cab which I made a front and rear rack to carry the tracks. I loved the chainsaw rig as it was so portable to move from log to log, however I don't think the weight difference between the new ATS 13hp is much different. I spent most weekends milling for extra cash selling to local timber merchants and milling for other people on a cubic rate.

I have tried to attach some pictures but haven't figured out how to yet, I think I'm having trouble with the file size. How do you shrink them? ???

Tom

woodman

I got me an old 86 WoodMizer that runs like new
Jim Cripanuk

Bro. Noble

WMLT40HD24
Corley edger
Morgan Miniscragg
Go-Fast Resaw

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

D._Frederick

RMay

I have a 2001 LT-40 G25 non-hyd. with d.barker and simple sat works .                                                                  
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Frank_Pender

Now that is a stick of TIMBER, Paul.   It that a 24'er?  Looks like about 54" diam. If that is the case it has about 3,280bdft. Scribner Scale.  If it is a 16'er then you have about 2,180 at 54' diam.  Whatever it is, it is a nice stick of wood.  Also, it looks like it might be a "buckskin"? :o :o :o
Frank Pender

Paul_H

Good eye, Frank.It was 52" x24'.A steady diet of those would make me and the mill very happy.That log was graded pulp,because it was rough,and most of the bigger mills won't take the 34"+.Some nice VG came out of it.
We still have a 6' chunk that I want to make into slabs, with the Alaska mill.

KiwiJake

Thats a nice stick!! I could be wrong but the mill doesn't quite make it over the log, did you have to chalk it up?

Paul_H

Jake,
It was close,but we had the twin edgers on.So the first pass cut slabs,and VG grain in the same pass.The top edger rides a foot above the bottom of the main saw.

If the log was 6"+ larger,we would have shimmed it up.That is quick and easy to do.We took the time to rig up for a bigger log in the future.

Frank_Pender

Paul, bring that 6'er down and we will make table slabs out of her, as long as she  is under 60" on the butt end.   8)
Frank Pender

SawBilly

I gots a Timber Harvester 30H. ungraded to the 30 hp diesel, can do a 20 foot 30 inch log. has all the hydraulics you could want, just no debarker yet, of course it turns the wrong way, one cut on bark the rest on clean face. ;). As soon as I have some lumber dry enough, am planning on building a solar kiln.

Dugsaws

Timber Harvester 30ht25 all hydraulic
Timber King Talon 900 edger
Soon to have Nyle L-200 dh kiln
Doug

SawBilly

Russ

Hudson 20hp Oscar 36" with 20' ground track and power feed.
Cutting up in Western Ma.
http://www.shaysnet.com/~smtn

Dugsaws

Sawbilly,
        Just wish i had your thirty hp diesel to go with mine you lucky dog :'(  I talked to my ccousin about getting more horses under my onan and he said he would see what he could find out about  it. 24 just doesn't seem to be enough. Well maybe i will see more about that later.
           30 hp Deutz  8)

Doug
Doug

Thank You Sponsors!