iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is it?

Started by maple flats, October 06, 2005, 09:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

Tonight I was talking with a guy who was working for a logger in the early 50's. On one job he was given the task to drop 13 large trees with an assortment of saws. They had a Homelite that had a 36"bar, another of unknown make with a 4'bar in 2 man and another with a 6' bar, also 2 man. The largest of the trees he says was over 11' in diameter and at first they could not see how they would drop it. After studying the situation for a while the man I spoke with tonight said he studied the saws and determined that they could put the 4' bar on the Homelite without the 2 man end but for some reason they could not do it with the saw with the 4' bar because of how the handles were designed on the 4' er (something like big bicycle handle bars that would not work for some reason he couldn't recall) Now with the 4' bar without the 2 man end handle he could work his way in from each side and eventually got the hinge small enough to push the tree over with a big backhoe.
Anyway, this all leads to a question. He says the trees were bauman gilliards, has anyone ever heard of this (grew in central New York State, USA) and if so is there another name for it. Might be related to poplar or cottonwood from what he says. ???
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

beenthere

a question. He says the trees were bauman gilliards, has anyone ever heard of this (grew in central New York State, USA) and if so is there another name for it. Might be related to poplar or cottonwood from what he says

Balm of Gilead ?
balsam of gilead
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Balm of Gilead has been discussed in a number of previous Forum Threads. "Search" Balm of Gilead to review a number of the discussiions concerning it. :P
~Ron

rebocardo

> from 10 to 12 feet high, with wandlike, spreading branches

I guess this would mean overkill with a 4 foot bar  :D

SwampDonkey

Never heard of balm of gilead as big as that. But, I've seen black cottonwood (west coast tree) as big as 4 feet on the butt. I think the different between the two is in the flowers and fruit. An 11 foot diameter populus is unlikely on the east coast. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

I suspect an 11 foot circumference on the east coast, not diameter.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!