iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LOG SIDING

Started by hillbilly, October 06, 2005, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbilly

Im looking for a planer w/ acutter head that makes log siding has anyone seen any thing like this .has any one tryed this with a woodmaster planer ?
                          hillbilly 

karl

I've been toying with the idea of getting a set for my woodmaster.

Knew a guy several years ago that ground his own for a belsaw(woodmaster predacessor)- they woorked well.....

Depends if you plan on making thousands of feet  or millions of feet I guess.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

DonE911

I think logosol has a log moulder for thier mill... 

maple flats

Hillbilly, I am planning on getting a woodmaster with moulding AND log siding knives, but I have not seen how it works. However, my plan is about 3 years away.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

hillbilly

I have'nt been able to take the time to alk to any one at timberking or woodmaster about their planers, I  didnt know that logosol had anyy thing like that available  ;)lern something new every day the siding would be tounge and grooved of course and some where around 2" thick .
     We are planing on building a new home next year and this is what I would like to use for the out side .If it went well then I would have another prduct to move  ;D.    ANY THOUGHTS OR IDEAS ?
             Hillbilly 

DonE911

Logosol has a log home moulder that work on the mill rails.... I don't think it is designed to do t/g .... more like profile and groves for sealing foam on log homes.... maybe not what your looking for.

karl

Woodmasters knives are for shiplap- leaves nails showing
I like the idea of t/g better.
have seen some on the net that were real thick too, can't 'member the site....
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

GF

karl

Well now that's interesting- in my WM catalog the WM3000 is $540. US!!!!!!!

customsawyer

I had some 1x6 cypress done on the logsol that turned out very nice but it was not as rounded as I had hoped gave the man some thicker boards so I could git it more rounded just ended up with a thicker back same shape on the front don't know if this is do to operator or planner. It still came out very nice.

Customsawyer
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

hillbilly

that's what i'm talking about , now arwethose knifes just made for WM planners ?
              Thanks for the site address they have some preety neat stuff in there.
                               HILLBILLY

Brad_S.

Customsawyer,

You probably had your siding run through the Logosol planer, not their mill attachment. Their stock 'log' siding knives are really more like 'colonial casement' knives side by side. To get a good round appearance, your operator needs to custom order knives with a better profile. So it's neither the operator nor the moulder nor the thickness of your stock that's to blame, it's the knife profile he's using.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!