iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much to charge for barn siding

Started by flip, October 04, 2005, 04:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

I have a guy wanting me to cut him some poplar for barn siding, about 600bf I think.  What should I charge for 1X8s 10s using my logs.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Jeff

Honestly flip, I dont know how anyone can answer that question other then you. You should know what your costs are, you should know what kind of profit margin you would be happy with. Those things are known only to you.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

flip

Let me rephrase that.  If you were gonna cut barn siding for a guy outta your poplar how much would you charge? :D  Just trying to get in the ball park.  Log cost me a few hours cutting and bucking then just my time and fuel.  Since this is one of my first jobs I really don't want to skrew or be skrewed.  Just give me an idea of what  you would charge and I'll adjust for my inexperience and poor business skills ;D :D
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

SAW MILLER

I haven't been in the business too long myself but I have been charging 75 cents a bd ft for poplar out of my  logs.I just sawed 250  1/2 x2'' battens for 50 cents each  10 ft. long :) :)
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Jeff

When I left the mill last october, barn boards were at .50 bft. for Oak, cottonwood and aspen.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dewwood

I have recently sawn poplar for two buildings and I get $1 a bd ft straight thru including battens although I only figure the battens at their actual footage not as if they were one inch thick.  If it is a big job and the customer will accept random widths then perhaps a little cheaper.  I buy all of my logs but the cost would be the same if they were bought or grown.  The tree is worth so much the cutting, skidding, bucking and hauling all have a cost.  If purchased it is included in the price, if your own logs it is for your labor doing all of the above jobs.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Brad_S.

I charge $.60 bdft for pine, hemlock or spruce. I get $1.80 for FAS KD tulip (yellow) poplar, so I wouldn't turn that into barn wood, but I sell the 1&2C same as pine. I charge $.50 bdft for cottonwood but it's not a big mover.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Frickman

I charge $.60 / bdft for random width, 2 and 3 common poplar barn siding. For lengths over 10' and widths over 10" I charge more, depending on the size.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ron Wenrich

We would probably try to sell the guy hemlock.  50-60 cents would be ballpark.  We would charge the same, no matter what the width.  Not a big deal.  At 60 cents, I'd even throw in some 1 com.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!