iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hard Hickory

Started by flip, October 04, 2005, 09:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

I cut up some shag bark hickory last night for a friend.  I first cut them into 13" cants and sliced 2" down to the bottom.  It took me 2 blades and about an hour and a half to make 13 2"x13"x12'.  It seemed like I had to go twice as slow as usual and threw 3 times the amount of dust .  Was it just that dry or is the wood just that hard?  Did the bark help do my blade in?  If all shag bark is that nasty to cut count me out.  Did it matter that much that the logs were cut out of a blow down that has been sitting for a year?

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

brdmkr

I've never cut hickory, but hickory is kin to pecan, I've cut a little pecan and pecan is HARD!  I really had to slow down on the Lucas relative to the speed I use with oak.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Ga_Boy

Flip,

I did two hickories for a fellow a few months ago, they had been down for two years.

That wood is hard, even harder when it starts to dry some.  I was using a swinger with a 27 HP engine.  I was glad to get through them logs and was glad there were only two of them.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

pigman

All hickory is hard.  Shagbark is really hard. Old shagbark is the hardest that I have cut.  If sawing at night you can see sparks flying from the bark. :o
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

flip

I moved into a barn with overhead lights-I thought I was seeing things.  Occasionally I would see a spark or two jump off the blade and I know the log wasn't that dirty.  I hope it makes good decking for him-I ain't cutting any more ;D

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

When you consider the fact that most mills reject Hickory and Pecan,  this is no surprise, huh?

One former lumber man told me that they only cut hickory the same day it came into the yard.

I do believe that Pecan is the hardest wood in North America to cut.  As someone has already mentioned, the various Hickories and Pecan are all hard nuts to crack (so to speak).  They are
in the same close family of hard noggins.

Pecan logs are free for me, but NOPE, THEY ARE NOT FREE! :-\ :-\

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Larry

On old logs cut off 2-3" from each end.  This will accomplish two things.  The log will saw easier and the blade will stay sharp longer.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Buzz-sawyer

Quote from: pigman on October 04, 2005, 12:28:18 PM
All hickory is hard.  Shagbark is really hard. Old shagbark is the hardest that I have cut.  If sawing at night you can see sparks flying from the bark. :o
Ever try a 26 inch osage thats been on the ground 20 years? :o :o :o :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

submarinesailor

No, Buzz - tell us all about it. ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

Kirk_Allen

Well lets just say if you think Hickory threw sparks you aint seen nothin! 

I cut up a fence post last week that my Great Grandfater put in the ground in the early 1900s.  The outer three inches was no good but the heart of that post looked like fresh cut Osage.  Even had the beutiful yellow color. 

Oh, almost forgot, it was HARDER than ANY Hickory I have ever cut ;D

Ron Wenrich

This past week I cut about 10 Mbf of hickory.  I'm seeing a lot more hickory coming into the yard.  Now that it has some value, the foresters are starting to mark it.  We saw it about once a month or so.  It depends how quick it builds up or how slow.

I'm running a circle mill, and rarely have any big problems with it.  If it is fairly green, I can have the same feed rates as I do for red oak.  Feeding too slow will give you very fine dust and cause other problems. 

Hickory will dull blades quicker than most other woods.  Keeping a sharp blade makes cutting a whole lot easier.  The sparks are probably coming from the bark.  Even a little bit of dirt will cause sparks.

As for hardest wood, we put our black locust to the side and saw it when there is an order.  Usually the orders are in the spring or fall.  Some of those logs will lay a couple of years.  They will also throw sparks, and I run debarked logs. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

pigman

Quote from: Buzz-sawyer on October 04, 2005, 02:01:58 PM

Ever try a 26 inch osage thats been on the ground 20 years? :o :o :o :D :D
No Buzz,   I don't want to try that with my bandmill. :)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Part_Timer

I have about 400 bf of mixed hickory to cut soon and it has been on the ground for about 3 months ya'll are not making me feel any better about it ;D ;D.

On the bright side I like cutting Hedge so it might not be so bad :)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Faron

Flip, a debarker in front of that blade will make a world of difference, especially in hickory.  I just won't saw without one.  I run lots of blade lube on hickory as well.  If you can start sawing while the tree is falling, so much the better. :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Radar67

Part Timer, they have me worried as well. I have a few hickory logs that have been down for about a month.

Flip, What do you use for blade lube? I'm using water and dish detergent.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

flip

I used straight water on these due to the fact I ran out of Dawn.  Usually run a 5 gal tank with a generous squirt of dawn.  Havn't had any problems cutting until now, well with the exception of that magnolia with guide wire hidden in it >:( :D

Radar67

A guide wire huh?  ;D I'll bet it helped guide your blade right off the mill. ;)

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

flip

I couldn't believe how "unique" the sound is when hitting metal.  That special zing sure makes your heart race.  Still havn't hit my dogs yet-knock knock.

Radar67

So far I haven't hit any metal...yet. I am new to milling and I'm sure there are two types of sawyers, the ones who have hit metal and the ones who will hit metal.  :D

Minnesota_boy

Yep, had quite the run of hitting metal yesterday.  5 copper jacketed 30 caliber.  Only messed up 2 blades though.  Most of the time bullet only make the noise without dulling the blade.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

submarinesailor

Were they:

A. 30-06
B. 30-30
C. 308
D. All the above

Didn't know you would be tested on this?  :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Minnesota_boy

A little hard to tell just what cartridge they came from by the time I got a look at them, but they might have been 170 gr.  before I sawed them.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

oldsaw

takes 3/8" out of the middle of it....It just looks....wrong.   :-\  The chain looked worse.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Dan_Shade

I did that to a bolt once.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Frickman

I run a circle mill too, and like Ron said, it's not too bad. More like white oak than red oak. If it's fresh cut it saws real nice. If the logs been cut a few months it can get a little hard, but it's not too bad.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!