iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash Within Quarentine Area

Started by MSU_Keith, October 03, 2005, 10:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSU_Keith

I've been cutting some ash at a piece of property I own which is only 15 miles from my house - both within quarentine area.  Since the nights are getting a little cooler here I loaded up some firewood cut last year at the property (Chelsea Area) and hauled it home (Ann Arbor).  Ash trees in both areas are already infected - therefore this shouldn't be an issue, right?

Also, I have some ash sawlogs waiting to be milled.  I plan to have the lumber kiln dried but will keep movement within quarentine area.

farmerdoug

When I was at the RR tie seminar I was told by the state forestery that the movement of ash within the quarantine area is unrestricted as of now.  This may change as if you mill lumber and sell it to a pallet mill in the quarantine area it does not have to be inspected but who can follow where hose pallets go after that.  ??? If you move it out of the quarantine area but are staying within the state it has to be MDA inspected.  If out of state movement is required then it must be inspected by both MDA and USDA for the complete removal of bark and bored surface of the ash log or lumber.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

estiers

Keith - Doug is correct in that your movement is ok as long as the quarantined ash stayed within the quarantined area, which they are.  A little clarification on Doug's point of movement into the rest of the Lower Peninsula: Any ash product leaving the quarantine area needs to be inspected by either MDA, for intrastate movement, or USDA, for interstate movement.  No ash firewood is permitted to leave the quarantined area. 

Doug - you are very well informed.   :P  A testament to you and your contacts!  Wish there were more out there like you...
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

MSU_Keith

Thanks for the info.

A couple follow up questions:
Does the MDA or USDA inspection cost anything?  What are the specific contact phone #'s?

estiers

Given your location, I can help you with that.  Give me a call: (734)732-0026.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Thank You Sponsors!