iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ordered the wood stove

Started by DonE911, October 03, 2005, 09:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonE911

Well I did it....  the wife and I went wood stove shopping.   I bought a Dutch West good for 1800 sq ft.

Went with the Dutch West because of price ( and it was on sale ) and the wife liked the way it looked.   Got the dealer to kick in the blower and 2 sections of pipe on the deal. ( and a deer roast  ;D )

For those that know more about this stuff...  I am going to put a non catch fire wall behind it & the floor under it....  how high do I need to go on this.... looks like it'll be rock, since I can pick that up off the ground for free....  do I need to go all the way to the ceiling??  I will have about 18 inches clearance from the wall maybe a little more.

It will be a corner install, so I was thinking I would go up the wall about half way and then put in a wrap around mantle ibo the stove so Mary can have a spot for more of her knick-knacks.

I know I should have asked the wood stove people, but we all know the FF members have real world wisdom ;)

GF

Working on putting mine in also, I put the man made rock on the wall and the floor.  I currently heat with propane but I figure I might as well use wood since its free even though the labor seems to cost.   I put my stove int he corner and rocked all the way to the ceiling, I figure the rock will help absord the heat and radiate heat out to the living area.

Frank_Pender

Do not forget to put at least an in air space behing the stonewall. :)
Frank Pender

rebocardo

I went on the WWW and downloaded the manual for my stove. Basically, for my non-EPA stove 30 inches on each side to non-combustible materials and 48 inches over it. I plan on ceramic tile and cement board and adding 6 inches to the above spacing.

I was thinking just regular brick since firebrick is so expensive though that much brick on a floor and wall can get a tad heavy.

bitternut

Frank is right about the air space between your wall and the stone or brick. It is very important because even though the stone or brick won't burn it can get hot enough to lower the combustion temperature of your wood framing or floor. As wood is heated over time its combustion temperature is lowered. As a result it will ignite at a much lower temperature than a normal sample of the same wood type.

You don't want to use fire bricks for a wall because they are too soft in my opinion.

submarinesailor

rebocardo

I used regular brick with an air gap and it worked just fine.  Even when the wife tried to burn the house down by over heating the stove.

Bruce/subsailor

rebocardo

Good info bitternut, I did not know that.

If you build a brick wall/partition with an air gap, is it completely away from the wall on both ends? Would six inches be enough of an air gap along with the stove being the proper distance from the partition?

My only experience with wood burning stoves was venting them up old field stone chimneys and in houses with bare field stone walls where distance was not much of a worry along with the slate floors. Though I have been learning :-D

pigman

rebocardo,  the air gap does not need to be verry large, 1in would be enough. The main purpose of the air gap is keep the heat from conducting through the stone or brick directly to the conbustable wall material behind it. Brick and stone are very good conductors of heat but air is not a good conductor. :P
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Larry

Why not just download the instruction manual off the web?  It will give detailed instructions and if followed will make your insurance company most happy.

http://www.vermontcastings.com/content/products/productdetails.cfm?id=189
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

My uncle just stuck a sheet of asbestos behind the kitchen stove to passify the insurance company. Never had one for 70 years before that. ;D OK, I realize it's a good idea to have a heat shield of some kind. ;) You guys all know how hard it is to teach an old dog (my uncle) new tricks, they'll defy, deny and dispise.  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

Reading about this airspace thingy got me thinkin'.  My woodstove is in my basement, so I don't have anything to worry about with the concrete floor or the block foundation, but what about the ceiling  ???  I simply bought a few sheets of Durock (that concrete board) and screwed it right to the joists above the stove...any problems with this situation?

Ernie

We have a solid brick wall behind ours with the other side of the wall in the bedroom.

There is also a wetback in the stove with a tap so that we can direct the hot water either to the water cylinder or to the radiator in the bedroom

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thank You Sponsors!