iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Rat season

Started by J Beyer, August 29, 2002, 08:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Beyer

I goofed and posted something similar on the "Behind the Forum" section:

Tree Rat, aka squirrel, season is coming up soon on the 14th of September.  Tree Rat gravy is the best that I've ever had.  sixteen more days for those buggers to find a good hiding spot.  Then again, a good friend of mine and a good hunter has had them get away from him when using the 12 gauge.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Bibbyman

Looks like you found "The Outdoor Channel" of the Forum.  Not specifically hunting but lots of hunting stuff you should be interested in reading.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

oh yes, squirrel.  Best with a 22.  Shotguns are rough on the teeth.

J Beyer

How can a shotgun be rough on the teeth?  It's not very safe shooting a gun when you are holding it in your mouth.  ;D  I'm going to try cleaing my .22 and see if my accuracy improves.  I'm quite accurate with the rifle sites to 25yds, pretty decent at 50 yards with the rifle sites.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Tom

I never tried holding it in my  mouth :-/

I have eaten a  lot of shot gunned game and invariably end up crunching a piece of shot at the dinner table in front of "important" people.  I'd swallow it but I've heard that it'll turn your gizzard green. :P

Bibbyman

I haven't hunted squirrel in years.  When I was a kid the season opened in May or no later than June.  We had a grove of mulberry trees in one little valley they'd flock to for about two weeks when the fruit ripened.  I'd get there well before dawn and be ready when they came in.  After they closed the season during the spring and summer,  I lost interest.

Had a dog named Chief that was half German Police and half hound.  We'd "still hunt" for squirrels.  Sounds odd to still hunt with a dog but he'd slip along quiet as a mouse and his ears would swivel around like radar until he'd hear a squirrel.  He'd continued to sneak along until he spotted it and then he'd be like a bullet on it.  A good many times he'd get the squirrel before it could get up a tree.  Other time's I'd shoot it out and he'd be under it to catch it like an outfielder.  It was always a bit chancy to take them away from him once he got them in his mouth.  

I'd learned to walk along about 20 feet back of him and watch his moves.  I could tell when he heard a squirrel and be ready to bolt with him when he took after one.  He didn't bark so I had to keep up.  If I lost him, he'd backtrack and find me but he'd have "squirrel breath".  More than once I'd step on a dry stick under the leaves and make a big noise and he'd turn back and give me a dirty look.

"We" were pretty productive at collecting squirrels but I got the feeling he brought me along just to knock them out of the trees.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!