iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Overrun by Chipmunks!

Started by Pete J, October 02, 2005, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete J

We are having a chipmunk explosion are my neighborhood. I haven't seen the family of foxes in a few months and it's been 3 years since the coyotes left. Anybody got some extra predators I can borrow? I had one chasing me around in my garage as I was cutting some window trim. He must've thought he had dibs on the sawdust I was making. Any home remedies for keeping them out of my yard?

Tom

See what they taste like!  :D

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

They are fairly easy to catch in a box trap.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

Cat is in the mail, can send more! ;)

Pete J

Funny thing is, all the neighbors used to have cats. They disappeared about the time the family of coyotes moved in. Now none of them want cats as pets anymore because they think we're surrounded by vicious predators. I even had one neighbor throwing packs of firecrackers at some foxes in the woods behind us. He said he was trying to scare them away to protect the children. Now he is the loudest complainer about the chipmunks and he doesn't understand why. Some folks just don't get it.

Jeff

Same problem here. In the last week or two they have chewed off our phone lines. I caught one last week in a rat trap and last weekend Jeremy picked one off with the pellot gun. Had a young man here tonight putting on my ridge vent and as he looked from the peak, into the little woodlot behind the new shed, he pointed and said he would put a little bait pile down there and hunt em from up there on da roof. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Get out the rat traps and peanut butter jar. ;D

My squirrel Trapline ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

HAHAH AHHA+HAAAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  SUCCESS

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D What am I looking at Jeff? His tail? :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ernie_Edwards

Jeff,

Maybe they heard you ring the dinnerbell hanging there in the pic and thought you were providing handouts.

Ernie Edwards

Jeff

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 18, 2005, 06:31:46 PM
:D :D :D What am I looking at Jeff? His tail? :D :D

You are looking at his nice little white belly and tail hanging out. His cute little neck has been pleasantly depressed under the bale on the RAT TRAP! ;D

Ernie, I drilled a hole in the trap to tie a cord to so they could not take off with it up into the eaves where I could not get to them. The end of the cord IS tied to the dinner triangle, so the litle guy rung his own bell so ta speak. That deserves another:  ;D

Jeff

A brightened closer view. Aint he CUTE?  (EVIL LAUGH INSERTED HERE)

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D Good One!!  :D :D :D :D That's just too funny :D :D :D

One got bold enough the other day to lug an apple up to the house and place it on the sill of my garage. I gotta take revenge. ;D

Furby

Jeff can give ya pointers............he's a chipmunk hunting machine! ;)
Wanna have some fun?
Pay him a visit and yell "chipmunk"!  :D

Jeff

Quote from: Furby on October 18, 2005, 08:21:21 PM
Jeff can give ya pointers............he's a chipmunk hunting machine! ;)
Wanna have some fun?
Pay him a visit and yell "chipmunk"!  :D

Furby seen me in action the other day. I hear the little fellers and I'm heading the other way for da arsenal. ;D

rebocardo

re: cats

All a house cat will do is torture the poor thing and play with it for a few hours until it dies of a few dozen small fang holes or exhaustion.

A fox on the other hand will gobble them up as fast as he can.

So, I vote for the fox!

SwampDonkey

Well, I did see a couple foxes hunting for mice and moles in the field yesterday. And I had one make a den down behind the barn in a groundhog hole 4-5 years ago. Hmmmm  8)

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

crtreedude

Kids and a good B-B gun? Perhaps a nice boa constrictor will help, or more snakes...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

Those foxes could have about 7 stray cats I know of and wouldn't hurt my feelings.  ;D  8)

crtreedude

We almost don't have cats down here - except the wild types (ocelot, jaguar, puma and several others). The house cats I have seen down here all look REALLY scared. They don't look like your normal arrogant Northern cat.  ;)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Murf

Quote from: Corley5 on October 19, 2005, 10:11:47 AM
Foxes eat cats too ;) ;D

So do Jack Russel Terriers (Terrors???) ............  ;D

As well as Chipmunks, Squirrrels, stray cats, tame cats, the neighbours cats, crows, racoons, skunks.....

Purdy near anything they can get their teeth into come ta think of it now.  ::)

Anybody wanna hire a coupla ambitious pooches ?  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Ernie

Jan and I took our 4 kids over to Canada in '84 to see my mum who was very ill.  We spent 2 months at the family cottage in the Haliburton Highlands and weresurrounded by squirrels and chipmunks.  Gee they are cute, the kids (and Jan and I) loved feeding and watching them, way too cute to kill ;D ;D ;D

The only small rodents we get here are mice and rats, no squirrels, chipmunks, groundhogs or anything cute :( :(
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Jeff

Yea, there way cute. I think we should all let them live in our attics and destroy a couple thousand dollars worth of insulation every couple years, chew off our phone wires, eat the wiring out of our snowmobiles and ATV's and boats, short out the wireing in the garage so it burns down. All real cute cuddly stuff.  Thats just some of the cute stuff I know of they have done in this area the last two years.

Thank You Sponsors!