iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ants

Started by macdon, October 02, 2005, 09:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdon

I have been cutting large old growth cedar on my lot. A number of them are infested with black ants.  You don't see the little suckers until you rip the log open in many cases .  I sure don't want these guys in my lumber piles or worse my house or sheds. Is there any chance of this?? Has anyone else had this problem..     Sure got some nice clear lumber on the outside of these logs  before I came into ant country    Don   

Kevin

People pay extra for that!
You'll have to come up with a catchy name for it like infestation cedar.  ;D

beenthere

I believe the ants are there only because of the wet wood. Once sawn into lumber, and stickered, they will bail out because the wood will lose moisture.  I'm guessing you are talking carpenter ants.  They don't like dry wood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

asy

If you want to kill those little black ants, go to the supermarket (or grain feed store should also have this) and buy a cannister of BORAX. THey sell it as a cleaner in the supermarket! (or they sell about 5 grains of it for $7 as 'antrid') A 500g (1lb) cannister should cost you about $6 (Aust, $3usd) So it's really cheap.

Now, you take a jar lid (like a peanut butter jar lid is about right) and mix into it  a Teaspoon of Borax, a Teaspoon of Honey and enough water to make it into a smooth paste (not too watery).

Then put this 'trap' into the way of their tracks and they will come and feed off it. That's the idea, DON'T clean them up, you must let them eat this mix and take it back, and it will kill the nest.

This is exactly the same mix the ant traps use.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Jeff

Many a sawlog came into the mill where I worked that were infested with ants. Sometimes is ins unbeleivable how many ants can be in a log. Have seen it where it looked like fluid spilling out. Anyhow, they soon are gone. Even withi the mill building, birds and toads and other things would come in and feast on them.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

It has always amazed me how quickly "bull" ants can leave a log and set up housekeeping in the closest hole.  I've had them run out of the log on the mill, carrying eggs and disappear in the holes of the moveable legs of the mill.  Sometimes they would run into the frame or the hydraulic box or a hole in nearby log.  After five or 10 minutes they will have moved the entire nest.

If you are sawing off-site, there is a good chance that you will take a colony home with you. :)

SAW MILLER

What I hate is when you take them in the house unknowingly in a chunk of frozen firewood.They really come to life when they thaw out in the wood box.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

beenthere

Now that's another good reason to dry the firewood before burning it  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!