iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Draw Knife Handles

Started by Radar67, October 01, 2005, 11:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

Anyone got any information on how to make a handle for a draw knife? I have a 10 - 12 inch knife missing a handle and would like to use it to debark and shave beams.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

What tools do you have available?

A lathe? A drill with bit? Draw knife ( :) )?  pocket knife? 

You can do it, even if it isn't perfectly round, but still fits your hand.

How about a pic of the tang that doesn't have a handle for starters.   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

I have a drill and bits, pocket knife, grinder, power sander, and other hand tools. I'll have to get a picture of the tang, but it is square (about 1/4 inch) and about 3 inches long to the little plate the handle butts to. It is not set up for any type of fastener, the handle appears to be a drive on type.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Ernie_Edwards

Radar67,

I have used some of my wifes horse shoeing rasp handles on draw knives with success. They will twist/screw onto the tang and actually do a very good job. Contact a local horse shoer/farrier and ask them where they get their rasp handles.

Good luck,

Ernie Edwards

Radar67

hayton1960

Some people heat fit the tang into the wood.
I use 2 part epoxy to hold it in.
I did that on my billhook with an ash handle, it takes the punishment just fine.
I drill a pilot hole part way in then use a very little mortise type chisel to patiently open up a tapered square hole to fit the tang. (A tight fit) then clean and degrease the tang, apply epoxy then set home. Make sure to have a good strong ferrule as well to prevent splitting. I turned the handle green, with an oversized ferrule section, let it dry (in this case it was for about 12 years ::)) then re-turned the ferrule section down to the exact size for my chosen steel ferrule (in this case a 1 1/2" length of butchered old cymbal stand), before forming the tapered hole etc Finished the wood with danish oil.
Hope this hepls cheers Jonathan ;)
PS I heard somewhere that wrapped rawhide or other leather can make a good comfortable tool handle

Thank You Sponsors!