iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alternative GMC parts source

Started by Paul_H, October 01, 2005, 04:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

I was wondering if anybody new of a source of GM parts without the GM prices? The 4WD differential actuator(electric solenoid) gave up the ghost on our 97, 2500 and GM's price for replacement is $269.00.  Thats too much to pay for a hunk of potmetal with a couple of wires hanging out.

The inside drivers door handle broke off yesterday and they want $58.00.I find it a little hard to take  ???
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Paul_H

Maybe I'm a little irritable but I was thinking it's a good thing GM doesn't make hip replacement parts.Sure you would have a new hip but it would cost you an arm and a leg,and one morning you least expect it,the hip would bust off,leaving you stranded in the middle of the floor.

There more,so much more...  >:( :-X

SwampDonkey

My uncle tried non GM or alternative parts once. It was a plastic gril for a '93 GMC Sierra. The holes didn't match up. So beware.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

Well swampy,I'm at a point where close is good enough.I'm going to get stubborn on the GM thing and shove a dowel in the diff instead.

Corley5

The actuator is available as an aftermarket part.  I bought one for my 94 1/2 ton a couple years ago at NAPA for $90.00 ::)  There is a better ??? replacement that uses an electric motor instead.  It eliminates the lag time before the front axle engages.  I'm didn't ask about the price on it
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Kevin

QuoteThe inside drivers door handle broke off yesterday

How would a guy break that?

Tie wrap a stick to what's left. $00.00 Canadian.

Paul_H

Yeah,that lag time can cause a bit of trouble sometimes,especially with a loaded trailer on the wet grass :D Our ground on the valley floor is similar to clay and it fills the tires up pretty quick.

I'll check with NAPA on Monday morning.There is a truck at the wreckers that I saw through the fence today and my guess would be around 1990.I don't know if the solenoids are the same or not but we'll see after the weekend.

Thanks

Kevin,
it's too late.I didn't have the right tools to take it out so I kind of ripped it out.It felt like the right thing to do at the moment  ::)
It had originally broke one of the fake-loo pot metal pivot pins.

The rear door handle on my wife's GM van broke off in back in April and I went to the wrecking yards in the city and they told me "good luck finding one" cause GM handles are always getting snapped off.A new one was over $90.00
She carries a flat head screw driver to open the back door.

Kevin

bitternut

It costs a lot of money to make and ship those parts from China and Mexico you know.

Paul_H

That was a good link.I couldn't seem to find the right year(97) door handle for my truck but Carla's Van might get a new handle for a 1/3 the price of GM's.

Thanks,that link is now bookmarked.

ScottAR

Swamp Donkey, the aftermarket folks can't make parts that fit else they'd have to pay GM royalties.  So they make em a fraction off everywhere and leave it for the bodyman (bodyperson??) to fit it on there... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Paul_H

Kevin,
You found it! I went backwards a couple of steps from that page and found the actuator for my truck.It shows it as 1988-95 but it is the same as the one out of my old truck.Note the price in the link.

4wd Shift Actuator

I'll try the wrecker first because that truck he just got in fits the 88-95 category and Ken is good to deal with.

Thanks  8)

Paco

Paul_H
  not sure of the manufacturer or the year compatibility but I have seen a cable conversion for the GM Axle disconnect in the 4x4 magazines.  try list site.  http://www.mastertechtrans.com/ck.htm
Husky 575XP,Stihl ms290,Echo CS4500, John Deere 755 compact tractor w/ Home built Skidding Winch.

Frank_Pender

I just off of the land line with Paul and I got one here in town for him at $64.15.  I told him that does not includes shipping and my handling.  :D I might have a new business before the next week is over. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Tom

I've got some handling I could sell him. ;D

Frank_Pender

I am first out here on the Left, West Coast, Tom; you can be second.   Besides you are on the Left, East Coast.
Frank Pender

wiam

If you can find the version with a motor you will be happier.  It is much faster in and out.  I wish I could remember where I got mine.  But on anyting bigger than a light 2500, the inside of the housing has to be ground out to make the actuator fit. >:(

Will

Thank You Sponsors!