iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To sticker or not to sticker ERC

Started by Tony, October 01, 2005, 09:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Hello again everyone, I have a question concerning some ERC.
I have been given 50+ ERC logs ranging from 12" to 25"+, they,ve been
cut over 2 yrs.  ;D ;D  with more logs coming ;D
    I thought I would mill them into posts for me and 1x's to sell. Should I
sticker them or not ?? ??? ???
    I don't have a moisture meter.

Thanks Tony 8) 8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Raphael

... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Radar67

What type of material do you use to sticker with? I was thinking about 1x2s from the local lumber yard.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DanG

Ya got a sawmill, don't ya?  I always just cut a bunch of 1x1 strips from whatever I'm sawing, and keep a pile of'em in the shed.  Having dry ones to use is a bit of a challenge when you're just starting out, but gets easier real quick.  Radar, that might be a good use for part of that little water oak ya got there, and it'll be good practice on the mill, too
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

Dan, your right (again). I also have some small sweet gum I could use. Thanks.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

ellmoe

Radar,
  I don't think that sweetgum would be your best choice. It twists really bad when drying and rots quickly, and bugs love it. The red cedar is a fairly "dry" board, I'd just make the stickers as I went. Just use  the edge trimmings off of the cedar, and/or rip your cull boards. Ideally, you want dry stickers, but with cedar boards and stickers I've had no problems using them as I describe. Besides, those would be about the most insect resistent sticks you could have if you use the heart.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Radar67

Ellmoe, thanks for the advice. I currently don't have any cedar (Tony has the cedar). I'll keep my eyes peeled though.  ;D

Hbarker

I have cut some 1/2 inch cedar 4 and 6 inches wide,,this is what we covered some of our walls with and it looks great , some of it was even green when installed diditn shrink to bad,.
my question, this 1/2 are very thin,. should they also be stickered?
or flat stacked? if so, what every 6 inches to stop any saging?

WkndCutter

Sticker.  I cut a bunch of cedar for closet lining.  1/2 inch thinck.  I put stickers every 12 inches just to be safe.  I dried real fast.  My wife will be happy when I finish the closet.

Andy

Thank You Sponsors!