iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Goodby Old Friend

Started by Bro. Noble, September 30, 2005, 01:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KGNC

Kind of a related story. Last week I went by the local funeral home to pay my respects to the family of a really nice guy that I had meet and worked with some years ago.
The line of folks went out the door onto a large porch. I was standing talking to two very old fellows in line. Well the yard of the funeral home has a pair of the biggest heathiest maples you will see in a yard. Beautiful trees to be sure. The two old guys are standing there looking at one of the trees. I expected one of them to comment on what a nice tree it was. Instead the first gentleman said "there would be a lot of good stove wood in that tree". the other guy agreed but said "yea but it would take two days to drag off all the brush".   :)
So I think the funeral home tree is safe for now. ;)

Burlkraft

Awesome work there Charlie smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

That's a nice way to remember the old tree by......

It will come up every Christmas...That's fer sure ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

CHARLIE

KGNC, when I started woodturning I began to look at trees and logs and firewood piles in a whole different way.  I used to look at a tree and wonder how many board feet were in it and wondered how many BTU was in the firewood.  Now, I think I appreciate the beauty of the wood more and think about the grain and color the wood has to offer.  A few years back, I had a neighbor that brought home some short walnut logs he'd found at the town dump. He saw them as free firewood and threw them into his firewood pile. I asked him if I could turn some of it and he told me to help myself. The first thing I turned was a beautiful burl grained bowl for the neighbor. He was amazed of the beauty that was in that firewood and his wife has it displayed on their diningroom table. I then turned a nice bowl for myself that is one of my favorites and I've kept. Another thing I've enjoyed is making momentos from a tree that has meant something to someone. It's a way for that tree to live on in a differnt way. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Patty

Wow! Those are really beautiful Charlie. I am sure Noble and his family will cherish them forever.

Someday I hope to be able to show a talent equal to yours. In the meantime, though, I will just sit back and admire.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

Very nice turnings Charlie. I could see that it is intricate work and one wrong move with a gouge and oops.  ;) I'm sure the Noble's will remember the old oak tree for years to come.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tcsmpsi

Beautiful work and an admirable gesture, Charlie. 

Bro Noble, I believe your loss has become a gain.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Norm

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

The treasures arrived safe and sound early this afternoon.  Man oh Man ,  I knew from the pictures that they were going to be nice,  but wasn't really expecting them to be so absolutely breath taking beautiful.  I'm looking forward to your description of how you do the insideout ornaments.  Dad asked me how you did that and I had to say "I donno".

Thanks for the little extras from the piggy roast too,  that was very thoughtful.

I had asked Charlie if he would be willing to make some extra pieces from the tree for X number of dollars.  He said he would be able to.  I never dreamed he would  ber making such delicate and intricate beauties.  Now Charlie must be better at lathe work than he is at math,  cause with my FFmembers discount and a ciscount for being born on July 21st,  and making that lovely box for my wife (she loves it and claimed it even before she knew it was for her) for free,  he figgered the total came up to what I told him I could afford to pay :o 8) ;D   Maybe he's just a really generous fellow----that's what I'm thinking.  Anyway Charlie,  thanks for making it possible for this old poorboy to be able to give his family such wonderful handcrafted treasures.  The check will be in the mail tomorrow. :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

CHARLIE

Noble, I'm very relieved that the ornaments got there without being damaged. I was REALLY worried about that.  I'm also glad you were pleased with the ornaments and I'm glad I could make something for you and your family to remember the old oak tree. :)

Oh....and tell your dad that I made the Inside/out ornaments by quickly jamming the lathe tool into the wood and pulling it out fast as the wood spun at 1000 RPM. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

treecyclers

This particular reason is the exact reason I started my company in the first place.
To make trees live forever in our homes!
May your beautiful friend live forever in your home, and continue to bring you and your family happiness and joy for many years to come.
SD
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

asy

Gosh, they're absolutely magnificent.

Bro Noble, you must be absolutely beside yourself!

One day I'll get a lathe, or some time to use one!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Bro. Noble

Well the keepsakes have been distributed to some very delighted people.  Lots of time spent oohing and aahing and trying to figger out how Charlie did those inside out ornaments.  8) 8) 8)

Charlie,  I ain't a gonna beg,  but it sure would be interesting to a bunch of us if you could post a step-by-step illiustrated explination of how you do that-----unless it's a secret ;D

SwampDonkey

Charlie, I wouldn't tell no one nut'n. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Onthesauk

He pm'ed me on how to do it but I'm not telling.  I'm in enough trouble already over the BQ recipe. ;D
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

CHARLIE

Here is a tutorial that is on my Woodturning Clubs website that explains the Inside/Out turning process.  Don't tell anyone how this  is done. It's TOP SECRET! :-X

http://www.crwoodturner.com/ornaments/ornaments.pdf
Charlie

Bro. Noble

It don't make no nevermind now ,Charlie, cause I tried doing it the way you first told me and now only have 2 1/2 fingers left >:(---- ;)   I guess I just wasn't fast enough :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!