iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Goodby Old Friend

Started by Bro. Noble, September 30, 2005, 01:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

It's going to be different around the mill now.

We had a humongous red oak tree right next to the mill.  It's had some big dead limbs in it for a long time and we knew someday it would have to come down.  Yesterday afternoon,  my son pointed to the roots of the tree.  At first I thought something had dug a nest under the roots and then I realized that there was a gap where the roots had risen above the ground.  Sure enough,  when I looked up,  there was a definate list to the whole tree. 

We immediately started preparations to remove it.  The only thing in the immediate direction that it was leaning was the old outhouse,  and the yard fence.  The outhouse was in sad shape and hadn't been needed for several years,  but had been left for sentimental reasons.  We lifted it up with the loader and took it to the burn pile,  tore out the fence,  and removed some worrisome limbs with the 'sthil -on-a -stick'.  This tree had a treamendous spread and there were phone and electric lines just to the north,  as well as my Grandad's old house.  A few yards to the West is the old smokehouse that we use for storage,  and a few feet to the East is the sawmill shed.  The limbs overhung all of this and provided wonderful shade,  but now posed a real problem of falling the tree without doing a lot of damage.  Although the lean was definate,  we hooked up the winch and put a cable up the tree just in case,  and we resigned ourselves to the probability of spending the next few days repairing the nearby buildings and cleaning up.

Went up to the mill this morning as soon as milking was done.  There was now a 6" gap under the roots on the north side of the tree.  We put on our hard hats and fired up the winch tractor and the saw.  Had everything cleaned up by noon.  Not a scratch on any of the buildings.

We were sure pleased with the outcome,  but will sure miss that old friend,  especially when it's in the 90's and the sun is bearing down. 
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Sprucegum

There must be a lot of good wood in a tree that size, if you make something with it that tree will be with you for many years yet.

Tom

I know how trees can be missed.  It took an act of God for me to take down a tree around the house one time.  But, I found that it wasn't' long before I had gotten used to it and could hardly remember where the tree had been.    Perhaps you can plant a new one to replace it.  it wouldn't even have to be in the same spot.

Then you can spend your time remembering and writing about your experiences under that old tree.  :)

SwampDonkey

I know how everyone hates boxedler, 'cept me and CKtate. But we had 5 or 6 out by the road that had to go because of an ice storm. I said the place looks bare and had to plant me a couple white ash, soon (maybe this spring) I gotta plants me a scarlet oak, transplanted from the garden. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Noble I looked and looked in hopes that in our photos from our visit to you, I would find a photo of the tree, but no luck. :-\
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

I can relate to getting attached to those old trees.  Every house I ever lived in as a child, had a giant maple tree in the front for swinging on and playing under.  Under those trees were some of the best spots for ecavating roads for our toy trucks and cars....many years later, it's where I got my first kiss from a fella. 
When I moved into the house I presently live in, the first thing I did was plant trees.  Now, my Grandson plays in the shade of those maples in my yard.  Life is good.   :)
Bro. Noble, I hope you make something special for yourself from that tree! 
Say when

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

Bibbyman got a picture of the tree when he and Mary were here.  If you go to 'travel guide' page 4,  Bibbyman's 2003 vacation thread,  It's under the section of his visit to us.  The picture is something like 'shot of the sawmill shed'  The tree is just to the right of the shed,  in front of the loader.

Roxie,  my son is already making something out of the tree------firewood :D :D  He figures if the DanG thing won't keep him cool in the summer it can at least keep him warm in the winter ;)

It did make one good butt log.  Even with considerable rot in places,  it will make a lot of good grade lumber.

I get real sentimental when I see old trees and buildings go.  Things change and will never be like they once were------there's times when that's good though :)

beenthere

What?? No pictures ??  Surely you jest!!   :o   
Chet is setting a trend here, me thinks..... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gilman

Noble,
I like the siding on your saw shed.

this is a No No, but It's Mary's and Bibby's website.  If they move the photo, It's their fault.

http://wardensawmill.members.ktis.net/images/vac2002/IMG_1210.JPG

Here's the tree
http://wardensawmill.members.ktis.net/images/vac2002/IMG_1197.JPG
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Jeff

Noble has never been fotoenabled. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

Swampdonkey, I love boxelder to turn on my lathe. Very pretty wood especially when there is red color in it.  Heck, I even like to turn buckthorn and sumac.  DNR doesn't like boxelder or buckthorn though.  Lotsa free wood.  ;D

Noble, If you'll send me a chunk of that tree, I'll turn you something on the lathe from it.  Even if it's 2"  X  2"  X  3 or 4 feet I can make you something decorative for the house. ?   Let me know if you want me to and I'll send you my mailing address.

Charlie
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bro. Noble

Gilman,

That siding is Red Cedar.  I'd never heard of 'live edges' nor attempted to saw siding when we did that.  I remember that I learned a lot about it and figured if I did it again I could do much better,  but now I forgot what it was I learned :-\

Jeff and Beenthere,

I have trouble remembering what I used to know (see above) and am not anxious to learn anything new :D :D :D  Besides,  I don't have a camera ::)

Charlie,

I'll send you a chunk of the tree.  I wouldn't mind having something to remember the tree and I would love to have a sample of your handiwork ;D

Roxie, 

When I got my first kiss,  that tree was just a sapling and I was probably 35 or 40 :D :D :D----I'm lying ::)

Norm

Sorry to hear of your old trees passing Noble. We have some slippery elm on the west side of our house that give the best shade during the summer. It's just a matter of time before they meet the same fate. Think I'll plant some in between em to get ready for the chance.

ARKANSAWYER

When we built the shack that we live in now we just came down in the woods and cut out just enough trees to build the shack.  Just out the back door was a very large hickory tree.  Since we built the house in the spring time as things were greening up and the dogwoods were in bloom very few trees were removed.   I asked several times if I could remove the hickory tree but the answer was always "NO!".   That is till about late September one night as we layed in bed waiting for the visit from the Sandman.
   BAMMM!  roll, roll,rolllllllllll plop!   BAMM! BAM! roll, roll rolllllll plop!  Sweet Wife asked "What in the DanG (#*$&(#%(@* was that?"   "Mockernut Hicory nuts falling on our tin roof" says I " but it will only last about two weeks"   I believe it was about 2:30 am when she rolled over to me with those beautiful blood shot blue eyes and says to me "If that tree is standing when I get home from work tonight you are a dead man"  :o :o
Since that was pre-Wanda there was 2 ricks of very nice fire wood stacked at the back door when my bride retured home. ;D
  Miss the tree but enjoy the sleep.  Bro Noble maybe you should plant another tree in it's place so you's can get another kiss someday.
ARKANSAWYER

rebocardo

Yea, I hate removing shade trees around a house, but, when it is time to go, it is time to go. At least you had advance warning.

Ron Wenrich

I had an old apple tree in the back yard that never gave any apples.  It had rot in most of the boles and I would always threaten to cut it down for firewood.

But, every spring, the apple tree would come out in full bloom filling the whole area with a wonderful smell.  That is when I remembered why I wouldn't cut it down.

Finally, a bad storm took it out and it made its way to the woodshed.  But, I can still remember the smell.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

Stick another'n in the ground, Ron.  :)

Ed_K

Bro.Noble, short prayer and plant a new one, maybe one of the new american chesnut.
We built our cabin in the woods 20 yrs this yr. w/pine all around. for yrs I said "Can I cut some to get some light in on the mater plants, NO". well a yr or so ago we got a bad case mildew down stairs. Moma washed and scrubed and painted special paint on. It came right thru. Says whats doin this? I say no light and to humid. I cut 6 mbf this spring, now their processed into a log cabin sugar house and a wood shed for the sugar wood.
Ed K

CHARLIE

I offered to make Bro_Noble a momento from the Barker Oak tree.  He took me up on the offer and requested I make several items so members of his family could also have a momento from the tree. Noble shipped me 2 chunks of wood last October, but they were so wet that I was afraid whatever I made would warp or split. So I sealed the ends and set them in a corner of my shop to dry. I started working on the turnings last week and just finished up today. I'd like to share what I made with you. I haven't shipped them yet, so Noble doesn't even know what he's getting until now. Except for the copper wire hangers on the ornaments, everything is 100% made from the wood of the old Barker Oak. I did use some stain on some of the wood for contrast. There is very little left from the 2 chunks Noble sent me, so I made pretty good use of the wood. A huge challange will be to get the stuff packed so it won't get damaged in shipment. No way is this stuff going UPS after I saw what they did to Steve's table. :o 

4 birdhouse ornaments, 5½ inches in length.  The roofs and perches were all stained to contrast with the house.

Inside/Out ornament - 7½ inches in length.  I like the way this one turned out (no pun intended) and while I usually have an idea of what I want something to look like, it is more a design as I go.  I reckon the ball shape is traditional for an ornament.

Inside/Out ornament - 6¼ inches in length. I think this one looks sort of like a flying saucer.

Inside/Out ornament - 11 inches in length and by far the fanciest ornament I've ever turned. I spent a long time on this one. The closer I get to completing a turning, the more careful I get. I hate it when I've spent a day on something and then accidentally destroy it at the end. The wood is spinning at over 1000 rpm, so one wrong move and it's all over but the crying.

Inside/Out ornament -  11½ inches in length, this is the largest ornament I've ever turned.

Turned lidded box - Size 3¼ inches diameter by 4¼ inches tall. The finial was stained for contrast. I was very happy about the fit of the lid. It has what is called a vacuum fit. It slides off easily with the only resistance being the vacuum created when opening it.   

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Onthesauk

Beautiful work!  How about a little description on how you make the inside/out ornaments?  I've done the baby rattles with the loose rings but haven't a clue on how you do these.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Tom

That was a good job, you little, obnoxious, rag-a-muffin.  :D

It looks like you have found a venue for your artistic abilities.  What an artist you have turned out to be, too.  Now, don't get the big-head, I know you can do better.  But, I sure am proud of you.  :)

metalspinner

Very nice, Charlie.

Those ornaments will be cherished for many years.  The finish on the oak looks really nice.  Did you fill the grain prior to the finish?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Bro. Noble

Wow,

I can't wait till they arrive 8) 8) 8)

Guess who's got their Christmas shopping done already ;D ;D

Thanks,  Charlie :)

CHARLIE

Metalspinner, I didn't fill the grain. I use what is called a "Friction Polish" to finish with. It's a shellac based finish that contain some fillers. You apply it to the piece on the lathe as it's spinning and then you keep buffing it with your cloth until a gloss appears. Applying it to the Inside/Out ornaments kinda hurt at times 'cause those edges kept whacking my finger! :o
Charlie

CHARLIE

I'm glad you like them Noble.  8)  You had asked for me to make something extra for your wife, so that is who the box is for.  I had just enough wood to make it.  I just hope the mail service handles it with care. :)
Charlie

KGNC

Kind of a related story. Last week I went by the local funeral home to pay my respects to the family of a really nice guy that I had meet and worked with some years ago.
The line of folks went out the door onto a large porch. I was standing talking to two very old fellows in line. Well the yard of the funeral home has a pair of the biggest heathiest maples you will see in a yard. Beautiful trees to be sure. The two old guys are standing there looking at one of the trees. I expected one of them to comment on what a nice tree it was. Instead the first gentleman said "there would be a lot of good stove wood in that tree". the other guy agreed but said "yea but it would take two days to drag off all the brush".   :)
So I think the funeral home tree is safe for now. ;)

Burlkraft

Awesome work there Charlie smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

That's a nice way to remember the old tree by......

It will come up every Christmas...That's fer sure ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

CHARLIE

KGNC, when I started woodturning I began to look at trees and logs and firewood piles in a whole different way.  I used to look at a tree and wonder how many board feet were in it and wondered how many BTU was in the firewood.  Now, I think I appreciate the beauty of the wood more and think about the grain and color the wood has to offer.  A few years back, I had a neighbor that brought home some short walnut logs he'd found at the town dump. He saw them as free firewood and threw them into his firewood pile. I asked him if I could turn some of it and he told me to help myself. The first thing I turned was a beautiful burl grained bowl for the neighbor. He was amazed of the beauty that was in that firewood and his wife has it displayed on their diningroom table. I then turned a nice bowl for myself that is one of my favorites and I've kept. Another thing I've enjoyed is making momentos from a tree that has meant something to someone. It's a way for that tree to live on in a differnt way. :)
Charlie

Patty

Wow! Those are really beautiful Charlie. I am sure Noble and his family will cherish them forever.

Someday I hope to be able to show a talent equal to yours. In the meantime, though, I will just sit back and admire.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

Very nice turnings Charlie. I could see that it is intricate work and one wrong move with a gouge and oops.  ;) I'm sure the Noble's will remember the old oak tree for years to come.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tcsmpsi

Beautiful work and an admirable gesture, Charlie. 

Bro Noble, I believe your loss has become a gain.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Norm

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

The treasures arrived safe and sound early this afternoon.  Man oh Man ,  I knew from the pictures that they were going to be nice,  but wasn't really expecting them to be so absolutely breath taking beautiful.  I'm looking forward to your description of how you do the insideout ornaments.  Dad asked me how you did that and I had to say "I donno".

Thanks for the little extras from the piggy roast too,  that was very thoughtful.

I had asked Charlie if he would be willing to make some extra pieces from the tree for X number of dollars.  He said he would be able to.  I never dreamed he would  ber making such delicate and intricate beauties.  Now Charlie must be better at lathe work than he is at math,  cause with my FFmembers discount and a ciscount for being born on July 21st,  and making that lovely box for my wife (she loves it and claimed it even before she knew it was for her) for free,  he figgered the total came up to what I told him I could afford to pay :o 8) ;D   Maybe he's just a really generous fellow----that's what I'm thinking.  Anyway Charlie,  thanks for making it possible for this old poorboy to be able to give his family such wonderful handcrafted treasures.  The check will be in the mail tomorrow. :)

CHARLIE

Noble, I'm very relieved that the ornaments got there without being damaged. I was REALLY worried about that.  I'm also glad you were pleased with the ornaments and I'm glad I could make something for you and your family to remember the old oak tree. :)

Oh....and tell your dad that I made the Inside/out ornaments by quickly jamming the lathe tool into the wood and pulling it out fast as the wood spun at 1000 RPM. ;D
Charlie

treecyclers

This particular reason is the exact reason I started my company in the first place.
To make trees live forever in our homes!
May your beautiful friend live forever in your home, and continue to bring you and your family happiness and joy for many years to come.
SD
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

asy

Gosh, they're absolutely magnificent.

Bro Noble, you must be absolutely beside yourself!

One day I'll get a lathe, or some time to use one!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Bro. Noble

Well the keepsakes have been distributed to some very delighted people.  Lots of time spent oohing and aahing and trying to figger out how Charlie did those inside out ornaments.  8) 8) 8)

Charlie,  I ain't a gonna beg,  but it sure would be interesting to a bunch of us if you could post a step-by-step illiustrated explination of how you do that-----unless it's a secret ;D

SwampDonkey

Charlie, I wouldn't tell no one nut'n. ;D

Onthesauk

He pm'ed me on how to do it but I'm not telling.  I'm in enough trouble already over the BQ recipe. ;D
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

CHARLIE

Here is a tutorial that is on my Woodturning Clubs website that explains the Inside/Out turning process.  Don't tell anyone how this  is done. It's TOP SECRET! :-X

http://www.crwoodturner.com/ornaments/ornaments.pdf
Charlie

Bro. Noble

It don't make no nevermind now ,Charlie, cause I tried doing it the way you first told me and now only have 2 1/2 fingers left >:(---- ;)   I guess I just wasn't fast enough :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!