iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How thick is your bark

Started by SW_IOWA_SAWYER, September 28, 2005, 11:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I am looking for some thick bark to carve, I know that sounds crazy but it is true.  I have carved some bark, cottonwood I think that is very thick. I have heard that the farther north you go the thicker the bark is. Do any of you northern folks (well north of me) ever come across any? I would like to get some to try some carving santa in. I would be interested if this is in fact true. I have lots of bark but it is little girlie man bark and I am trying to get some thick stuff :D

I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Percy

The Cottonwood bark aound here is huge thick. There is a fella that carves these cool faces allover the trees in a local park.  Ill, try and find a link.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Tom

The bark that gets carved down here is Hickory.  Shagbark and pignut have bark 2 or 3 inches thick that dries to 1 1/2 or so and ends up as hard as the wood it encompasses.  If you have access to Hickory, take a look.

Paul_H

Douglas Fir bark on old vets can be 8" + thick down at the stump.D-Fir bark has lots of Red,brown and Tan streaks in it.I don't know how it would carve but it sure burns well.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Minnesota_boy

I've seen old growth redwood bark that was nearly a foot thick.  I stood on the bark with my heels at the edge of the wood and my toes didn't extend beyond the bark.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Frank_Pender

I know that I am pretty thin-skinned most of the time, but my bark is rather thick. 8)

Frank Pender

Brucer

Douglas-Fir, Western Larch, Ponderosa Pine.

Douglas-Fir probably has the best texture for carving. It's a bit like cork in texture, so sharp carving tools are essential.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!