iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moss Covered Jackpot

Started by chet, September 27, 2005, 07:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

4 or 5 years ago while makin' firewood I found a wind blown cherry tree layin' on da ground. It was a nice sucker, better than a couple of feet on da stump. I was pithed at myself dat I hadn't spotted it sooner so that I could salvage it. It was obvious dat it had been there for quite so time so I pretty much gave up on it.   :'(
Well today I drove past dat moss covered old girl again, only today (don't ask me why I waited until today  :-[ )  I stopped and sunk a saw into er. WOOOWWWW...............maybe an inch of rotten sapwood and da rest just bright beautifull cherry wood.   8)  8)  8)
Dar is now a nice pile of cherry logs sittin' in front of da mill shed.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

beenthere

Wow!!  and 'no' pic?  Hmmmm?  We really believe you, but then again.....with 'no' pic, what can we say?.......
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

A guy dat ain't smart enought ta check a tree like dat, ain't smart enough to remember ta take pictures.  :-\  You'll have ta settle for pics of da lumber when I saw it.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

I wanta see pictures of the logs in front of the shed.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

leweee

Come on Chet you know you wanna ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Frickman

I've cut cherry that's been on the ground for ten years or more. It ages up to the prettiest drak red color you've ever seen.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

chet

This stuff has been on da ground every bit of 10 years. I think tomorrow I'm takin' my saw and goin' rottin' log huntin'.   ;D

Frickman

Chet,

Black walnut, if any grows in your area, is another species that keeps well.

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Ron Scott

Yes, "downed cherry" will last awhile. Most loggers here will pick it up as a "bonus". Usually don't have much problem getting it cleaned up.
~Ron

Frickman

Ron,

Around here it not always a "bonus". I've seen foresters mark downed trees like this on bid sales. Whether its been marked or not, I like cleaning it up.   ;) ;)

Ron Scott

We will mark and charge for it if it has just gone down during the growing season and the top still showns some green, but if it has been down and "dead" for a few seasons, we let the logger take it for salvage, if he wants to; especially if the logger has been doing a good job overall.

A good logger deserves a "bonus" now and then. ;)

~Ron

oakiemac

I cut some cherry a few years ago that had been down for over 2 years and it was all very nice stuff. Ya don't find that in red Oak.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ernie

Without pics, this could be another one of those Chet jokes :)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

chet

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  Good one Ernie   ;D

crtreedude

So Chet - where are those pictures? I learned very early on this group that the most important piece of equipment that was required was a digital camera.  ;)

And here you are a administrator and showing a bad example for us impressionable types...  ;)

We have some trees here that will stay on the ground for decades, Tempisque, Corteza, Amendro just to name a few. I just spotted on the second finca a heart of Ojoche which is very valuable. The sapwood is gone, just a narly heart is left.

We also found a recently down tree that looks very good. And none of us know what it is - even our forestry engineer.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

OneWithWood

Chet, do I hafta go out and take a pic of some cherry sittin in front of my barn?  ;)
or
are you gonna do what you need to do and post that pic?  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Kirk_Allen

Better take the pic Robert.  He aint got no Cherry :D

SwampDonkey

Western red cedar and yellow cypress can lay on the ground for decades in the mud and moss and be salvaged for logs and shakes.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SkidrowJoe

Only believe a 1/4 of what you hear and 1/2 of what you see. :D
The stumps of today are the ceilings of tomorrow.

chet

I decided I ain't gonna take no pictures.  ;D   :D  :D
Da boss man is headed up this way in a couple of weeks so we can do some fishing.
I'll save one or two of dem logs and let him tell ya all what I got.   smiley_smug01

Onthesauk

I had a road cut in about a hundred yards up a ravine a few years ago and the excavator operator pulled out a 40 foot western red cedar, about 30 inches in diameter that had been on the ground since the mid 50's.  No more then about half an inch on the outside is punky and then solid and red under that.  Just haven't gotten around to doing anything with it yet.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Tom

It's reported that there are nine, LINK>>24 foot diameter, 60 foot long Redwood logs off the Pacific Coast worth$2,000.000.  ;D

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Tom
  Now there is a salvage that I would like to see happen ... then i would really like to see the mill that would saw those up ...  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ron Scott

Maybe a good place to use some of that "large" logging equipment. ;)
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!