iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Layup....

Started by Woodhog, September 25, 2005, 01:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

Due to poor log prices I am going to layup three of my saws...

I plan to run the gas out... I have some stuff called outboard motor fogger that they use around here for outboards... should I give each saw a squirt of this stuff near the end of the
gas run out or just do the run out only??

Anything else I should be doing so these beasts will start again in a few months

Thanks

rebocardo

For any engine that is going to be stored, I think it makes sense to move the piston to the bottom of the engine and fill the cyl. with oil and then insert the plug loosely. Put a wire tie on the spark plug with a note about the cyl. being full of oil. Helps prevent rust build up on the wall.

musher

Or you could just use fogging oil - a spray designed specifically for this purpose.  Less hassle than filling the cyl. with oil.
Mike

sawguy21

I suggest a spritz of Sta-Bil, Optimizer or a similar stabilizer in the last tank of gas. I would run the saw on it for a bit then dump the gas. Start the saw again and run the carb dry. This really helps to keep the diaphragms and fuel lines from rotting.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jokers

Quote from: rebocardo on September 25, 2005, 01:46:41 PM
For any engine that is going to be stored, I think it makes sense to move the piston to the bottom of the engine and fill the cyl. with oil and then insert the plug loosely. Put a wire tie on the spark plug with a note about the cyl. being full of oil. Helps prevent rust build up on the wall.

Sorry, I don`t agree. A nicosil bore over an aluminum base isn`t going to rust and then you have to worry about any sludge or oil buildup sticking a ring, and even if you don`t stick a ring it will be a bear to get the saw running again as it tries to combust the oil that leaks into the base through the transfer ports, never mind the oil that is going to pour out the muffler.  No offense intended Rebocardo but this is a bad plan for a piston ported engine.

I believe sawguy has the right answer. Run a bit of fuel stabilizer through the last tank(your OEM mix oil probably already has it), dump tank and let it idle until the engine rpm starts to increase as the gas runs out, then kill it. Spray the outside of the saw lightly with oil(Rust Reaper is excellent for this) to prevent oxidation of the metal parts and don`t store the saws on concrete.

Russ

leweee

Right on Russ   just to add a little to this ...try to store the saws in a place that is a constant temperature....large temperature swings cause condensation.
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Thank You Sponsors!