iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fillin' Da Woodshed

Started by chet, September 24, 2005, 09:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

I am actually ahead of da game this year.   :)  Da leaves haven't even fell yet and my woodshed is already half full.   8) 

I wooda got some pics, but I've been too busy cuttin' n haulin'.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Furby

And you are what, about 20 days from the heating season ???  ;D

chet

Furby,
My heating season is 365 days long.  :D  Ask any of da forum members dat have been to my place, da outdoor boiler hasn't been shut down for years now.   :)   
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Furby

So why ya wait so long to fill the shed ???

chet

Quote from: Furby on September 24, 2005, 09:59:58 PM
So why ya wait so long to fill the shed ???

'cause it wasn't empty.   ;) 

sawguy21

For a bit, I thought you were talking about  Jeff's FF woodshed ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

asy

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 24, 2005, 10:39:32 PM
For a bit, I thought you were talking about  Jeff's FF woodshed ;D

hehe, I thought the same thing!!!

I thought...  OOOH!!!  A List of who's in the woodshed!!!

I was wondering if I'd see a spot reserved for me there... :o :-\ :o

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

SwampDonkey

Well, I don't burn year around. But, pretty near it. :D I got all my wood in the basement last week, 'cept 2 cords. Last night I had to fire up the oil furnace to take the dampness off. It's not cold enough yet for wood, I don't want to have to fight the heat.  ::) We used to use the scraper thingy that comes with the furnace when it's installed. Forget that, I just bought one of them flu wire brushes and put a handle on it. I shove it through and pull'r out and the pipes are slick clean, no more of that scraping crapola. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

Whoo-hoo  8)

I'm ahead of ya Chester!

I put up the last of the 20 chords (60 rick) that I expect to use this winter last weekend.  Now I will take a siesta and repair the crawler - new oil lines, both hydraulic and tranny cooler.  Then its on to rebuilding the manifold for the greenhouse and I think I might just finish the saw barn. :o
Heck, when I finish the barn I might just start in on the firewood for next year.  It sure would be nice to get back to burning seasoned wood ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Don_Papenburg

I was in menards yesterday . If you are short wood for burnin, they got it ........
.75 cu.ft for $3.50   Just short$600.oo a cord  good thing propane is so cheep.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Weekend_Sawyer

WOW :o 20 cords!!!

I was working on my firewood this weekend in 85 deg heat. I have 4 cords split and stacked to begin this year with. I expect to burn 6 to 8 cords this year. Of course our heating season has not started yet.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Roxie

This winter will be the very first for Cowboy Bob and I to use wood as the primary heat in the house.  I've been concerned about what heating is going to cost, but I'm more concerned at being at the mercy of the utility company.  We are figuring about 6 cords will get us through.
We don't have much, but we sure won't starve or freeze!   8)
Say when

Sprucegum

I am waay behind my schedule this year :-[

I will have to scrounge the woodlot for deadfalls or burn green poplar.

With the price of natural gas I donot intend to run the furnace :o

breederman

The woodshed is full been working a little on next years wood,I tell my wife that we need to be a year ahead in case anything should happen to me.Then she has that long to find anoher man. ;)
She says she will make do without one. :D
Together we got this !

submarinesailor

When they pulled the walnut off my place last winter, they had to put a big black locus on the ground to get one of bigger walnuts out.  This week end we got it down off the mountain, cut, split and stacked it.  Got just about a cord from it and it appears to be fairly dry.  Don't know about you guys, but I like the ways it burns – HOT with little ash.  With it added to the wood shed, I have about 2.5 cords – 3's the target.  Just about there.  Stuff on the far side of the shed is about 2 years old, so it is good and dry.  So hopefully I should be good to go.

Bruce/subsailor

asy

Quote from: Roxie on September 26, 2005, 11:31:07 AM
This winter will be the very first for Cowboy Bob and I to use wood as the primary heat in the house.  I've been concerned about what heating is going to cost, but I'm more concerned at being at the mercy of the utility company.  We are figuring about 6 cords will get us through.
We don't have much, but we sure won't starve or freeze!   8)

Hey Rox,

If ya run out, there's a spare bed here, and it's sure warm!

I have been reading this thread with interest, I remember (not fondly) when I used to have a wood stove in the house, and remember the 3am runs out to the woodshed in the rain, fighting with 2 dingoes in the yard to get to the piled wood (Coz my ex husband was to dang lazy to bring wood in, so I had to...  but that's a whole nuther story...).

Still it's much better these days, since moving to Brisbane, I don't even have a heater in the house..  :D

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

SAW MILLER

I  am gonna lay back a couple of extra cords this winter as a savings account.I bet around January people will be willing to pay big bucks for a cord of hickory.Got my 6 cord in the shed ,thats a first for me.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

ohsoloco

breederman...maybe she was talking about a woodstove  :D

chet

Quote from: OneWithWood on September 25, 2005, 09:07:29 AM
Whoo-hoo 8)

I'm ahead of ya Chester!

I put up the last of the 20 chords (60 rick) that I expect to use this winter last weekend. Now I will take a siesta and repair the crawler - new oil lines, both hydraulic and tranny cooler. Then its on to rebuilding the manifold for the greenhouse and I think I might just finish the saw barn. :o
Heck, when I finish the barn I might just start in on the firewood for next year. It sure would be nice to get back to burning seasoned wood ;)

DanG you Robert,
You sure know how ta burst a guys bubble.   :-\   I was feelin' pretty good about my acomplishment, but if YER already done, I must be fallin' behind.   :o   ;)

breederman

Together we got this !

sawguy21

Sprucegum, you are going to need a LOT of  poplar to keep the hacienda warm. That stuff burns fast with little heat.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OneWithWood

Quote from: Chet on September 26, 2005, 08:56:09 PM

DanG you Robert,
You sure know how ta burst a guys bubble.   :-\   I was feelin' pretty good about my acomplishment, but if YER already done, I must be fallin' behind.   :o   ;)

Caught ya nappin, did I?  :D :D ;D
Best git crackin'.  It don't look good when an old man like me is ahead of such a young feller as yerself. 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Steve_M

Just ordered  a Empyre 450 outside boiler last night, should be installed in a couple of weeks.  I have 12+ cords of mostly slabs just waiting for it.

Steve
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

ANMAN

Got you all beat!  We are in the last 5 cords of chunks filling our new wood shed (aka new hangar) which is 100 cords...to be sold for crazy prices to the city folk after thanksgiving. 

I can't believe when passers by see a 14' high face in a 45 foot wide shed that's chuck full and wonder if it's going to be all burnt in our house!

beenthere

That would make a nice pic.  Can you get one loaded? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!