iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New 372 XP!!!

Started by BigTyler, September 23, 2005, 11:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigTyler

Hey Guys,
   My name is Tyler Hicks from New Brunswick, Canada. I am in a pre employment course at a tech school specializing in farm equipment repair. I'm 19 years old 6'1'' and 245 LBS. With that being said I have run an old 450 Jonsered for about 3 years now cutting about 100 chord a year......that became a very difficult task when i started running into some 30+" rock maple which eventually drove the 450 to a bitter end with some help from my temper! So it became VERY obvious that I needed a new saw so I went and picked up a 372 XP with a 18'' Bar and oregon chain....BUT...today when I took her out for her maiden voyage my father with an old 630 super II was seriously out cutting the 372....when I dug her into the maple it would almost make a sort of 4 stroke like blubber and lose power. I haven't touched the jets at all and was wondering if someone could tell me how to set this thing up without blowing something up. I'm assuming the jets are my problem but is there anything about this saw that I should know???Should I run 40:1....50:1.....32:1???

Thanks Alot,
                                     Tyler ;D

Jeff

Welcome Tyler, I cant answer you cause I down know squat about chainsaws, just wanted to welcome you to the forum. Someone will have an answer soon. Lots of knowlegable fellows, along with some saw builders who know that model inside and out reside here. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pallis

Hello Tyler, Welcome!  First things first, if you got the saw from a dealer, you should take it back, and ask him to check it out and tune it for you.  During  the first ten or so break in hours the saw should run on the rich side, a little slow.  After that, the dealer, you or someone who knows what they are doing should retune it.  Even if you didn't get the saw from a local dealer, you should take it to one.  ...As for oil mixture, I run 32:1 synthetic, though some people recommend breaking in with dino.

Check and make sure the exhaust port isn't obstructed.  I just got a new 372, and the shield over the exhaust port was bent down, cutting the flow by third or more.  You say the saw four cycles in the cut.  Is it four cycling out of the cut (rich) or running lean?  If it is running lean, you shouldn't use it until it is tuned right.  My saw came running very rich.  Even with a muffler mod and the jet leaned to the max on the limiter cap, it still is too rich.  I'm going to run it like that through the break in, and see if it leans out some more.

Well, I'm sure some folks who know a lot more than I do will be along. Good Luck!

Pat :)

rebocardo

Isn't 18" is a tad small for a 372? I thought the min. size was 20" for the bar? If the chain is dull or not sharpened correctly, you could out cut it with a one man saw. Run 50:1. I run 40:1 in my Husky 365 because I rather be on the safe side.

D._Frederick

I bought a 372XP about 3 months ago and it came with a rev limiter. If you hold the throttle open, it will sound like a 4 cycle. The rpm is limited to 13600 rpm.

BigTyler

WOW guys thanks for all the replys!!!To be honest around my area a 20'' bar is considered big even though we cut some massive maple. As far as the rev limiter goes it's not so much when the saw isn't under load, it will pick up speed then but still blubbers bad.......just to give you an idea how bad it's working i was working with a guy for a few minutes today who runs a 2150 johnny and he was cutting faster than me and i had my chain done up by a pro....this thing is a real PIG....please tell me this saw works better than this.....also how does the power of the 372 compare to a 630 johnny for comparison sake.Thank you all SO much!

Tyler

jokers

Tyler,

Is it possible that you are confusing the sound of lugging for "four stroking"?

It sounds like your carb is way off, either too rich or too lean, the rev limiter complicates things.

The 372 should easily outcut the 630.

Russ

sawguy21

DanG rev limiter. It is there to keep the EPA compliant lean running saw from blowing up. I crank the high speed screw full left then gradually lean it out to max power. I then richen it a tich. Works most of the time. I did have an Echo CS360T that was still too lean but nothing to do except pull the caps. The saw was for a customer so I left them alone but sure was tempted.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

Take it back to the shop.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

wiam

I am pretty happy with an 18 inch bar on my 372xp.  Have not run into many trees over 3 feet. :D :D

Will

BigTyler

I took it back to the shop to have the mechanic tune it up and WOW what a different saw it has bags more power than i thought it would....I couldn't be happier. Thanks for all your help fellas!

Ron Scott

It sounds like it's now performing like a 372 XP should. I run a 20" bar on mine and mix 50-1 and work it hard. When I put it to use. ;)
~Ron

pallis

I'm glad you got things worked out.  I gave my 372 a good workout yesterday, and it is an impressive saw.

Be safe out there.

Pat

Thank You Sponsors!