iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Actual mill production: swingblades

Started by brdmkr, September 22, 2005, 11:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I can't resist.  I have been following the thread dealing with bandsaw production and feel compelled to ask the same question of swing blades.  What are you guys getting on an average day?  I am just starting, but the idea of 1000 bf in a day seems out of reach with my Lucas 618. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Ianab

depends what you are cutting I think.

If you had a 4ft dia 12ft long softwood log, you could certainly cut that into 6x2s in a day, and that 1200-1400 bf. If you have to spend 1/2 the day loading smaller logs and generally not cutting, then your mileage may vary  ::)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Arthur

As Ianab has already posted it depends on the type of wood your cutting.  All mills have their best and their worst.

swingers tend not to do to well with tiny logs but excel in large hardwoods. Bandsaws do realy well in soft small stuff.

Ask the bandsawers how much Iron Bark or Yellow Box they can cut in a day and how many times they need to replace the blade????  You will see a massive drop in production.

arthur

NZJake

Gidday Brdmkr,

Rob, Chris's brother has been milling at the factory with his manual 8" wpf for the last few weeks, he and a tale man are achieving on average 6-7 cubic meters per day (around 2500bf), 4.5 metres long, log diameter an average of around 16", timbers seem to be anything from 4x2 - 8x8. Thats some idea for that diameter log (NZ pine). He has also been using the forklift for the loader. The logs are simply lined up on skids and handrolled over the low track into knotches.

Most days I go out to do a job I try and achieve around the 4000bf mark, I work in the factory full time so I don't get a chance go out a lot. When I do I try and tee up a good job and cut as much as I can in that day.

I'm heading out tomorrow to finish up my gum job, I hope to only be gone for half a day as I have to go play with my new boat for the other half. I'll load some pics up with the lumber tally at the end of it, hopefully it pans out according to plan?

Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

TN_man

Our best has been 2400 bdft in an 8 hr period. We were cutting around 30" inch pine into 2x4 and 1x6.
That was when we first got the mill and we could probably do even better now. Boy, you should see Jacob (aka teenswinger) tear into those logs now. He has really gotten fast. The other day we did 4 logs in 30 minutes. I told him that I was going to enter him in the shootout. He could probably give a pretty good showing.
Like the others have said, it will all depend on the logs and how much time it will take to get them in place. When we were just cutting on one big log that had around 700 bdft in it alone, we finished it in about 2 1/2 hrs, cutting it into 1x6 only. That may not be record setting but it may give you an idea in real world application. It was 90F that day and we could have done better.
If you can develop a system to get your logs on quickly, it will definitely speed you up. That usually is the biggest hinderance.
BTW, Jacob has an ATS 827, so he has 2 winches to lower.
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Captain

A day's total is difficult to tell lately...I can't cut for a day at a time. ::)

Most custom jobs are about 1000BF.  My helper and I are usually able to get 1000BF done in about 3-4hrs inclucing setup, teardown, and "customer relations" (questions answered, payment arrangements, cutting instructions....)

Smaller logs are slower, due to all of the handling.  I think this slows down any sawmill.  Larger logs are a breeze, just keep cutting.....

My best day on a manual swingblade....4280BF in about 9hrs.  This was all Eastern white pine, 2x6 and 2x8 wherever I could.

My best day cutting hardwood 5/4, random widths was 3500BF.  the logs were pretty big.  I had 2 inexperienced helpers that day, but no support equipment, we loaded everything by hand.

My fastest time cutting, one 1040BF Poplar was 40 minutes....*disclaimer* I was cutting 8x3s, and flipped the bottom slab for a table top.  That's over 1500BF an hour, folks.  Totally unrealistic. :)

I just don't get that many calls for jobs that go over what I can accomplish in 4-6 hours with help.

You'll get there, Brdmkr.  It just takes time.

Captain

rbjones03

What and how you are sawing are the two keys to production. Sawing 12 ' 14"- 20" SYP my son and I can pretty much wear it out. I can cut it faster than an off bearer can stack it. But again we cut a black walnut the other day and it was slower than I ever dreamed because we tried to get a double cut on every level. I don't really worry about production as much as quality. A customer is not really impressed with how fast you saw but how well.
Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

Part_Timer

Our best so far is about 600bf in 7 hours.  we were cutting red oak 1x4 8'  we've only got about 15hours on the mill so far.  I'm more concerned about learning how to make sure we get the same size boards off each time we move the rails up and down.

Speed will come with time accuracy comes with patience/practice
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

TN_man

Rb makes a great point, speed can hinder quality and thus hinder customer relationship. Speed is important to us because it gets our money quicker, but not always to the customer. Develop your quality first, then try to do it faster.
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

maple flats

On a really good log (big, straight, no bad spots and little taper I have gotten 350 BF/HR with an inexperienced tailer, on the other hand I have also gotten about 50 BF/HR with a lesser log. Go for quality first. On many jobs with avg. logs I will average between 100 and 150 BF/HR for the job if the logs are set up on rails of some type that I can just roll the log onto my bunks for sawing. If I need to raise them or drag them to allign with the saw I lose a lot of production if I am not able to use my tractor for support/loading. This however is reflected in the price I charge. The easier the set up the lowere the price and vise versa.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

doublecut

Well ours Twin saw models aren't  a swinger but thought i would my 2 cents in.
Have done 3500bdft to 4000bdft a day avg and best day 7350 in 8hours in 2 and 4 by material 3 of us .In Cants or beams 1000ft an hour.  All depends on the logs, set up time, what you are cutting , length of material ,the handling of your log , how much help you have.

On our swinger i,ve seen  2000 + bdft a day. 12 " + dia logs 12-16ft long. Straight sawing.Our doggin system really helped on the smaller logs. It takes practice and learning the tricks of the trade. CAn't expect to have high volumes when you first start , give it time as every log you cut will be a learning experience.
Me i had a good teacher ( DAD 50 years experience )

As a kid i can remember sitting in the sawyers box with my dad and watching him saw on the head rig. He wasn't happy with production 20,000 to 25,000 bdft a day so he ingeniusly developed a scragg system that he built  Directly inside of the head saw. 4 - 48" saws. Any the small logs that were too small for the carriage he would drop on to the chain from the infeed deck and send them through as he was sawing the bigger logs on the carriage at the same time. NOw ya wanna see production. He was the only one that was able to run it and people came from the other side of canada to see it run. Talk about put out lumber. Trippled their daily production. Had to add 2 more bull edgers lines to keep up.
Sorry got a little reminicent there.
doublecut

woodbowl

Quote from: doublecut on September 24, 2005, 04:10:35 PM

He wasn't happy with production 20,000 to 25,000 bdft a day so he ingeniusly developed a scragg system that he built Directly inside of the head saw. 4 - 48" saws. Any the small logs that were too small for the carriage he would drop on to the chain from the infeed deck and send them through as he was sawing the bigger logs on the carriage at the same time. NOw ya wanna see production. He was the only one that was able to run it and people came from the other side of canada to see it run. Talk about put out lumber. Trippled their daily production. Had to add 2 more bull edgers lines to keep up.

Was he sawing two logs at the same time on the same track? 5 blades total?     
Quote from: doublecut on September 24, 2005, 04:10:35 PM

Sorry got a little reminicent there.

No apology necessary..........just keep it comming!
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

maple flats

My Peterson today cut 5 16 penny nails, not sure how many board feet of nail that would be. :( :o ??? :'(
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Furby

Well I'm betting it was more then 80 cents worth. ::)

NZJake

Well things turned out as planned...

ASM, 1/2hr setup, 1hr milling, 1400bf, 2 helpers, 1 photographer. Big log and heavy beams. We spent the rest of the day fishing on lake Rotorua and having a few beers.

Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

Captain

To contrast Jake, my day yesterday went as follows:

15 min setup.

28 logs avg approx 12" in diameter

1250 BF

5 hours including setup and teardown and 3 water breaks

1 helper

Captain

Arthur

NZJake

prefer your production but you didnt mention how many fish???

arthur

doublecut

Quote from: Furby on September 24, 2005, 09:46:05 PM
Well I'm betting it was more then 80 cents worth. ::)
No if you knew my dad he used exactly what he had on hand.
He went inside the main saw and  used that same arbor to drive the scragg saws. He then added another green chain for the cant's coming off of the end of the chain that fed the 4 saws.  It was situated right under the sawyers cab. You couldn't see the log pass through the saws until it came out the other side of the operators cab . If i remember right it was about 5-6000.00 to put in since he did it all himself. But we are also talking about a few years ago now too.

Was he sawing two logs at the same time on the same track? 5 blades total?

Woodbowl 
There were 5 saws but as the chain was taking the small logs through the 4 scragg saws he would have a larger log on the carriage running it through the 56" head saw and 36" top saw. So not 2 on the same carriage but 2 at the same time on differnet feed systems that he operated from the cab.\
doublecut

doublecut

what species of fish do have there? Do you fly fish at all?
doublecut

NZJake

I'm pretty new to fresh water trolling, I'd rather go out to sea and catch a bunch of snapper. The fish tally?... one 'just' legal trout which we threw back cause he was just too small for our liking :-\. Arthur-probably why I didn't mention it earlier :D.

Next week is the opening for lake Tarawera fishing season so I'm planning to catch some there, sounds like every man and there boats gonna be on the lake that day, we'll just follow the experts to the fish.

Doublecut, nope havent given flyfishin a go yet (would like to sometime though).

doublecut

NZJake
Well we have lots here. In a 200 mile radius of where we live there are 1100 fresh water fishing lakes.  Most of them you can see some 30 feet down into them .All prime fly fishing. So next year come on and we will hit some of them!!!!!!!!!!!!
doublecut

Hammy

Hey doublecut - count me on that one too will ya!!

Like NZjake I've done a bit of trolling on our lakes here in Rotorua & Taupo but never given fly fishing a go. Always fear I'm gonna loop that line around me own head  :o  .......either that or the bloke next to me!!
C. Hammond
Petersons

Fla._Deadheader

Practice without the fly, first, Hammond  ::) ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Hammy

Now thats some good ol Southern wisdom there FDH.
C. Hammond
Petersons

Part_Timer

My dad hooked the dog one time with a fly. My brother hooked my dad.  I flyfish alone now.  Seems safer to me ;D
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Thank You Sponsors!