iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used Edger

Started by squirrel hunter, September 21, 2005, 09:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirrel hunter

What can you find a used edger for usually? The cheapest one I have found was 5,000.

It kind of suprised me how expensive they were.

Brad_S.

I bought a 3 blade electric stationary Morgan Champ this past summer for $4000 and was thrilled to get it at that price.

Like mills, they seem to hold their value well.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

SawDust_Studios

I just got a woodmizer twin blade for 7k and was tickled.  8)  8)  It only had 180hrs on it.  They are expensive, but I've already found it well worth it.  I think that version (the gas 25hp) was about 11k new.

I've only had the edger a month. I believe woodmizer says you can increase production by about 30%.  While I find the bdft/hr numbers off a bit for their mills, I'd say this isn't far off with the edger.  Especially if you have an off bearer. 

I've also seen several companies that offer a smaller edger new for about 5k, but I can't recall them at the moment. 

You might check out http://www.sawmillexchange.com  in the misc/support equipment, he usually has some.

Dave
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

Bought our Corley edger for $500.00.  ;D ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kevin_H.

we bought a timberking 802 for 500 smackers and that was with a 10 electric motor.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Jason_WI

I bought my Norwood edger for $4500 new back in 2002. I believe the price went up since steel went up since then.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Ron Wenrich

I think it all depends on what you want or need.  There are tons of the older edgers out there, and the asking price is below $5K.  If you want something portable, expect to pay more.

If you can find a sawmill auction, you can get them pretty cheap.  Just remember that sometimes you get what you pay for.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bibbyman

When looking at an edger, also consider the blades and how they are "renewed".   

The older and bigger edgers generally have insert tooth blades.  I guess you could sharpen them while still on the mandrel.  But you'd need all the sharpening equipment and know-how to do it.  Pretty much goes with a circle mill that already requires this equipment and know-how.

The newer, lighter edgers meant to go with small bandmill operations generally have carbide tipped blades. 

There are two types of blades – solid and split.  The split blades are made up of two halves.  The advantage to that is ease of change out.  With a solid blade, there is no way to get it off the mandrel without disassembling a good part of the machine.  With the split blade design,  just remove four bolts that are easy to get to and the two halves come out.  Then just replace with two sharpened halves and bolts and slam the hood and your up and going again.

The disadvantage to the split blades is that you have to find a sharpening service that has a collar they can mount the two blade halves on so they can sharpen it.  The machine manufacture can probably direct you to a service that has the right collar.  If you buy a used machine with split blades,  the seller would have had to had a sharpening service that would sharpen them also.  So that's not too big a deal. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ga_Boy

My Peterson does a real nice job of edging for me.  ;) :D;D
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Thank You Sponsors!